• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#7426]How will Brexit go?***W:46]***

How will Brexit go?

• Total voters
German products are certainly the most over rated. In the building business their products are over priced and not as good as British ones. I also think it’s better for the world if we all become a bit more self dependent both nationally and individually. Much of what we buy and import is unnecessary tat.
Yes, but Germany is dropping British imports much faster and in higher volumes than Britain is dropping German imports. Which makes sense. When buying stuff from Britain gets complicated, German companies can just choose to import from whichever other country inside the Common Market, so if the goods they got from Britain is also availiable from say Sweden or Portugal, then that's where they will buy it from now. When imports got complicated for British firms, and there is no British equivalent, it basically makes no difference whether you import from German, the US, Brazil, or another EU/ EES country. It's all the same, so many just keep buying from the same supplier they used to despite the added complications. This of course leads to the trade imbalance between the UK and EU increasing.

Yes, but Germany is dropping British imports much faster and in higher volumes than Britain is dropping German imports. Which makes sense. When buying stuff from Britain gets complicated, German companies can just choose to import from whichever other country inside the Common Market, so if the goods they got from Britain is also availiable from say Sweden or Portugal, then that's where they will buy it from now. When imports got complicated for British firms, and there is no British equivalent, it basically makes no difference whether you import from German, the US, Brazil, or another EU/ EES country. It's all the same, so many just keep buying from the same supplier they used to despite the added complications. This of course leads to the trade imbalance between the UK and EU increasing.
Right, let’s work this out…Covid has destroyed the travel industry, electrification has decimated car sales, metals and oil are required in less quantity… the UK’s primary exports to Germany are aircraft, metals ,oil and cars….

Stop trying to blame Brexit… it’s pathetic…up until the Covid debacle U.K. exports were booming. Luckily we are not as dependent on exports as Germany…so no one has noticed a slump in the economy here…if anything we are booming.

German products are certainly the most over rated. In the building business their products are over priced and not as good as British ones. I also think it’s better for the world if we all become a bit more self dependent both nationally and individually. Much of what we buy and import is unnecessary tat.
Sure, German products are overrated :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: and over priced. Sorry, but if you need to find a fake argument to buy British than you are making a fool of yourself. Just be brave and say you prefer to buy British because the Germans are the biggest country of the EU, and always have been, Even when the British were still in the EU.

Sure, German products are overrated :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: and over priced. Sorry, but if you need to find a fake argument to buy British than you are making a fool of yourself. Just be brave and say you prefer to buy British because the Germans are the biggest country of the EU, and always have been, Even when the British were still in the EU.
I just think German products are no better than cheaper products from other countries . They used to be better...in the 70's for instance many British products were poor, so it was understandable that you'd pay a premium for German products. Now German products are simply no better...but still command a premium. I'd rather buy a Korean car than a German one.

Brexit: Checks on goods imported from the EU delayed again

While the EU is having now problems checking all British goods, Britain is ignoring their own rules and don't check EU goods, well when it comes to medical and agricultural goods (the UK do check other goods from the EU). Covid is blamed, but again, the EU has not seen any need to not check British agricultural or pharma sold to the block, so this seem to be a British problem.

I just think German products are no better than cheaper products from other countries . They used to be better...in the 70's for instance many British products were poor, so it was understandable that you'd pay a premium for German products. Now German products are simply no better...but still command a premium. I'd rather buy a Korean car than a German one.
really? Even though the German cars hold their value much better than Korean ones. Of the top 6 cars that hold their value best after three years time, 5 are German cars and one is the Landrover.

And German products are still very good products. This is from Forbes:

At number one overall, German goods were found to be respected by a large number of respondents. In a country-by-country basis, the nation ranked #1 in 13 other countries and respondents lauded the quality and high security standards of German production. “Germany has very strong, very quality-oriented brands,” says Nicolas Loose, head of market research with Statista. “Like Volkswagen, like Lufthansa—I think those iconic brands contribute to the strong reputation.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karste...tation-for-producing-quality/?sh=61d92fc74b3d

And don't get me wrong, the UK has also a good reputation but nowhere near as good as Germany.

But I said just say I am proud to buy British.

And if were a car buyer, I would also not buy German but I guess Japanese or what I have now, my Fiat because in cars I feel German cars do have great quality but for me image is not so important.

really? Even though the German cars hold their value much better than Korean ones. Of the top 6 cars that hold their value best after three years time, 5 are German cars and one is the Landrover.

And German products are still very good products. This is from Forbes:

At number one overall, German goods were found to be respected by a large number of respondents. In a country-by-country basis, the nation ranked #1 in 13 other countries and respondents lauded the quality and high security standards of German production. “Germany has very strong, very quality-oriented brands,” says Nicolas Loose, head of market research with Statista. “Like Volkswagen, like Lufthansa—I think those iconic brands contribute to the strong reputation.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karste...tation-for-producing-quality/?sh=61d92fc74b3d

And don't get me wrong, the UK has also a good reputation but nowhere near as good as Germany.

But I said just say I am proud to buy British.

And if were a car buyer, I would also not buy German but I guess Japanese or what I have now, my Fiat because in cars I feel German cars do have great quality but for me image is not so important.
We British buy the best regardless of where it comes from…except with most food products I’ll buy what I consider to be the best. Check out reliability surveys…German cars tend not to do so well.

German cars are great.

But I still by Japanese.

A car holding its value is an oxymoron. Soon as you buy a car, its value drops by half.

Still, you can get a hell of a lot of miles out of a Japanese car. Korean cars are good and getting better all the time.

And American cars have increased a lot in quality over the last few decades. I wouldn't be against buying an American car these days.

When it comes to quality, the Japanese are definitely leading the pack and the competition is making all the other companies better.

German cars are great.

But I still by Japanese.

A car holding its value is an oxymoron. Soon as you buy a car, its value drops by half.

Still, you can get a hell of a lot of miles out of a Japanese car. Korean cars are good and getting better all the time.

And American cars have increased a lot in quality over the last few decades. I wouldn't be against buying an American car these days.

When it comes to quality, the Japanese are definitely leading the pack and the competition is making all the other companies better.

I know US cars were not that great 20 years or so ago compared to for example German car manufacturers. I used to work for an importer of US cars (Chrysler, Jeep, Viper) and when for example we got US produced cars (in this case the PT Cruiser) and we also got a shipment from Graz in Germany (Mercedes plant) of the same PT cruiser cars, out quality manager of incoming cars said to me the build quality of the US built (I think in a Mexican factory based on the import documents that I handled) was appalling compared to the Graz built cars.

But I think American cars have finally gotten on board with the need to improve the built quality. Cars from Japan were just a cut above, well most car countries. I used to have an old toyota, it drove like a dream, the engine was great and the cost of the upkeep was paltry compared to other cars.

I know US cars were not that great 20 years or so ago compared to for example German car manufacturers. I used to work for an importer of US cars (Chrysler, Jeep, Viper) and when for example we got US produced cars (in this case the PT Cruiser) and we also got a shipment from Graz in Germany (Mercedes plant) of the same PT cruiser cars, out quality manager of incoming cars said to me the build quality of the US built (I think in a Mexican factory based on the import documents that I handled) was appalling compared to the Graz built cars.

But I think American cars have finally gotten on board with the need to improve the built quality. Cars from Japan were just a cut above, well most car countries. I used to have an old toyota, it drove like a dream, the engine was great and the cost of the upkeep was paltry compared to other cars.
Graz is in Austria ;)

I usually drive old cars, all my Volvos came over 250 k Kilometers - the last one, a V70 was from ´96 and it quit with over 300 k kilometers last year. ATM I drive a Benz with 265k Kilometers and still top - I dunno if british cars can do that. Japanese can. Toyotas for example are really good quallity cars

Graz is in Austria ;)

I usually drive old cars, all my Volvos came over 250 k Kilometers - the last one, a V70 was from ´96 and it quit with over 300 k kilometers last year. ATM I drive a Benz with 265k Kilometers and still top - I dunno if british cars can do that. Japanese can. Toyotas for example are really good quallity cars
I know, but it was a Mercedes factory. They made Jeeps and later PT cruisers. So it was still Deutsche Grundlichkeit (German quality control).

The Germans and Japanese have different priorities when it comes to developing and selling cars now. The Germans seem to want 5 years of trouble free driving, low maintenance requirements for those years, then the original owners trade in and get new cars with new technology. All highly developed and modern

The Japanese especially Toyota develop cars for long term low maintenance and long lasting vehicles. They are not the most up to date or highest performing vehicles but in general will last 10 - 15 years with low repair costs. They are not as fast or have the same level of tec

According to the leave faction, Britain would march into a glorious future outside the EU because we held all the cards and the EU was powerless to prevent it.
Nah, you agreed to every demand the EU had basically, because you had nothing if EU walked with No Deal.

The Beeb are under the thumb. Cameron started the rot with his appointees to the news division, and those bosses are now firmly in charge, and appointing their support in depth. Johnson is now set to privatise Channel 4 news, the last independent national broadcaster.
BBC news is reporting the HGV driver shortage which in turn is causing food distribution problems, but the "B" word that caused the driver shortage dare not be mentioned!

The Beeb are under the thumb. Cameron started the rot with his appointees to the news division, and those bosses are now firmly in charge, and appointing their support in depth. Johnson is now set to privatise Channel 4 news, the last independent national broadcaster.
BBC news is reporting the HGV driver shortage which in turn is causing food distribution problems, but the "B" word that caused the driver shortage dare not be mentioned!
Never thought I would see the BBC fall so far.

Never thought I would see the BBC fall so far.
probably scared shitless of the Tories and the Brexiteers. They would not want negative media attention.

Back
Top Bottom