• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#7426]How will Brexit go?***W:46]***

How will Brexit go?

• Total voters
Obviously, the EU as it exports a far greater value of goods to the UK than vice-versa.

Figures not your strong point?
and facts are not your strong point.

More nonsense, and if you want to claim an America is "bitter" and all the other accusations you threw at him, thinking he was European, well that is your mistake, not mine.

Lol!

I have never said you were American.

This is what you are implying now.

I really don't care either way.

Why is it such a big issue to you?

It seems very small minded.

Have you still not got it or are you just being disingenuous.

The services described are not financial services but ALL services (delivery, medical, plumbers etc etc)
I got it, but I am not sure whether or you got it. Financial services is just part of the economy, as you can see by the CIA world fact book, agriculture, industry and services. Services is not separated by financial services and the rest of the services.

and facts are not your strong point.

So are you falsely claiming that the EU doesn't export more goods to the UK than vice versa?

If so, you've just hit a new low.

Services is not separated by financial services and the rest of the services.

That's your problem.

You should have used a different website before making a fool of yourself and quoting incorrect figures.

I was patient enough to provide you with the correct figures :

The contribution to the UK economy of financial services is :

"In 2019, the financial services sector contributed £132 billion to the UK economy, 6.9% of total economic output."

Financial services: contribution to the UK economy - House of Commons Library

Financial services: key statistics on output, jobs, trade and tax in the UK.
commonslibrary.parliament.uk
commonslibrary.parliament.uk

In Germany the figure is :

"Financial services and insurance providers contributed around EUR 119 billion to GDP in 2019 – equivalent to almost four percent of total domestic GDP."

Lol!

I have never said you were American.

This is what you are implying now.

I really don't care either way.

Why is it such a big issue to you?

It seems very small minded.
And you again failed to read what I wrote, I wrote that Schrott was an American, how difficult is that.

And it is obvious you don't care that is why you make mistakes like that.

And not sure whether correctly knowing who you insult is small minded, rather more factual and reality based "minded".

Now, got another insult to throw or do you actual want to discuss anything? I am not sure anymore.

Ross Patel is an exporter. But his stock in trade is not fresh food or car components in crates. It is musicians in minivans.

Even so, like his counterparts in UK farms and factories, Patel is running into problems at the EU border. Since the UK left the EU on December 31, Patel has been immersed in the jargon of cabotage, carnets and country-specific work permits as he tries to work out how travelling musicians can continue to ply their trade in the EU.

Electronic trio Elder Island, the biggest act he manages as co-founder of music talent agency Whole Entertainment, are planning a 17-date tour of EU countries next year. Postponed three times already because of Covid-19, the tour has fallen into the tangle of regulations that now apply to UK exporters. “We’re already losing money on this tour because of the impact of Brexit,” he says. “I don’t know how we’re going to make it work.”

Another musician, Simone Marie Butler, bassist with the well-established rock band Primal Scream, says less well-known groups now “have to be really well informed before saying yes to festivals and booking stuff: you can’t just drive to Europe or get on a flight to do a gig any more”. The services sector accounts for around 80 per cent of the British economy, stretching well beyond finance to include fashion, tourism, auditing and architecture. Yet throughout the tortuous process of negotiating Britain’s departure from the EU, the services sector was rarely a priority — with the exception of the City of London.
https://www.ft.com/content/d0c10195-0e2e-4913-af74-3b7057163e3f

The problems exporters could have been helped by properly advising and helping British firms with the issues of export. Now I know some help was given but a lot of exporters were not ready for Brexit.

of course, and this is your way to decently converse with your fellow members?

I haven't insulted anyone's nationality.

And you admitted to stuffing up.

Or was it your calculator?

I wrote that Schrott was an American

Where did you write this?

You wrote :

"So an American poster feels rejected, bitter and angry?"

Do you see Schrott in that sentence?

Brexit backlash as EU properties being sold by expats: 'Not a nice feeling'​

BREXIT is seeing many expats in Europe selling their properties as living in the EU is no longer "worth it".​

British expats in Europe have faced chaos in recent months as post-Brexit rules plunge many into uncertainty. Now that the UK is a third country to the EU, Britons are limited to stays of 90 days within every 180 days in the bloc. Before the EU-UK trade deal was implemented on January 1, expats were able to enter and leave member state countries on a whim In Spain, Britons looking to register as residents of the country are now facing bureaucracy and have to prove earnings of £2,000-a-month — and £500 more for each dependent — as well as acquire Spanish driving licences.

Many have even left their European homes and headed back to the UK.
In March Henny Illingworth, a real estate agent in Malaga, Spain, explained why so many Britons are becoming disenfranchised with their European homes.

She told WION: "Previously as an EU citizen in Spain I had the right to be here, and now I just have permission to stay. It does a feel a big difference and there has been a huge amount of uncertainty and misinformation the last few years.

"It leaves me feeling like, 'Am I safe? Am I stable here?'. It's not a very nice feeling to live with."

Ms Illingworth explained that this feeling has led to many British "swallows" selling their properties as the new rule make staying in the EU "not worth it".

She added: "We actually have some properties up for sale which, they were known as British swallows, people would come over for a few months of the year.

"Some of those people then rent out their properties for business during the summer, some of them leave them empty, but now British citizens are going to have to follow this strict 90 in 180 day rule when before they could come over for four or five months.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...ats-selling-properties-eu-spain-italy-tax-spt

It is not nice for UK expats to no longer be allowed to live in their homes, this should have been regulated before Brexit but sadly the hard Brexiteers were too buy causing issue than working to prevent issues.

It is not nice for UK expats to no longer be allowed to live in their homes,

You are obviously ignorant of the fact that whatever conditions ex-pats are subject to by the 27 nations in Europe, cannot be controlled by the UK.

The UK has allowed existing EU permanent residents in the UK to stay permanently.

So yet again, you really have no idea regarding the facts.

"If you were living in the UK before 1 January 2021, you may continue to live and work there."

So the UK has been very accommodating to EU citizens living in the UK.

Your post implies that the EU has not been as kind.

Last edited:
I haven't insulted anyone's nationality.

And you admitted to stuffing up.

Or was it your calculator?
And the petty insults continue.

And you called an American who had an opinion about Brexit: someone bitter and angry because the UK left the EU.

I admitted making an error, wow what a novel thing to happen :rolleyes: talk about petty.

And the petty insults continue.

Lol!

You admitting stuffing up, so how can that be an insult.

Stop being such a snowflake.

You are the one who was calling people fascists, racists etc.

Now that's insulting.

You are obviously ignorant of the fact that whatever conditions ex-pats are subject to by the 27 nations in Europe, cannot be controlled by the UK.

The UK has allowed existing EU permanent residents in the UK to stay permanently.

So yet again, you really have no idea regarding the facts.

"If you were living in the UK before 1 January 2021, you may continue to live and work there."

So the UK has been very accommodating to EU citizens living in the UK.

Your post implies that the EU has not been as kind.
The EU is treating UK citizens like other non-EU citizens, so that is now seen as not kind?

This is the choice the Brexit voters have made, now the expats have to suffer the consequences.

And you called an American who had an opinion about Brexit: someone bitter and angry because the UK left the EU.

Which would have been impossible as nobody's nationality is disclosed here....only where they are now as per their IP address.

You've been on this website for years but still don't know that?

Lol!

The EU is treating UK citizens like other non-EU citizens

Yes. While the British are granting permanent residence to EU citizens residing in the UK before Brexit.

They have been a lot kinder to EU citizens than the EU has been to UK citizens....according to you anyway.....I'm not sure what the facts are as you make up your own.

Which would have been impossible as nobody's nationality is disclosed here....only where they are now as per their IP address.

You've been on this website for years but still don't know that?

Lol!
Sure, a guy with an American flag is a bitter European. Logical.

And the petty insults continue, what a shining example for decently discussing things with other posters :rolleyes:

Yes. While the British are granting permanent residence to EU citizens residing in the UK before Brexit.

They have been a lot kinder to EU citizens than the EU has been to UK citizens....according to you anyway.....I'm not sure what the facts are as you make up your own.
Yes, because most EU citizens living in the UK work there and make money and taxes for the UK. They are more dependent on EU workers than Spain is dependent on UK expats/retired people.

Lol!

You admitting stuffing up, so how can that be an insult.

Stop being such a snowflake.

You are the one who was calling people fascists, racists etc.

Now that's insulting.
And more petty insults, talking about decently discussing and then you post this?

I call a fascist a fascist, that is not a slight towards you or other posters here, it is that simple. Now do you want to discuss things or are you more obsessed about insulting and discussing other posters here? Because you can have that discussion all by yourself.

the British(not the Australians...) want to keep the cake and eat it. It's not possible. As Brexit is done, every country in Europe decides on their own if they want to let Brits living in the country to stay or leave. Different countries decide differently. EU does not regulate it in any way. The free movement part is only a requirement for EU countries citiziens.

It was the Brits that wanted a hard Brexit, not the EU and it was Boris Johnson that didn't want any deal what so ever in this regards. The Brit's are only letting those stay that they have the need for. Like students in private schools paying tuition.

Or maybe I should be more honest: It was the ultra right (and I do not talk about ground racists here but, ultra conservatives) that financed and planed the campaign for Brexit that wanted a hard Brexit. The immigration question was just a question as long as they needed the populace to vote for it, it is no longer a big deal in the scheme of things. It is yesterdays agenda. The very reason it took so long to get a deal and that Theresa May was outmaneuvered and Boris Johnson took her place was the idea of the need for as hard of a Brexit as was politically possible..

The reason they wanted a hard Brexit is because they don't want to be obligde to follow EU rules, that is: Workers rights and working environments rules, enviromental restrictions for the industry and rules for general health care and unemployment benefits.

To me, they are being speed blind. They see this Europe taxparadise for the wealthy while ignoring problems like the boarder in Ireland or initial costs to the exports to EU (Almost half of the UK's exports are sold to EU countries, while just over five per cent of EU exports are shipped to the UK.)

Well, you are walking the path into a very conservative nation, but that is your choice to make, maybe it will turn out to be the tax paradise of Europe, just as the people behind it want and not having to deal with workers rights should at least attract companies like Amazon.

We'll see

And then there is the Scottish problem that they didn't even anticipated, but they should have. Makes me wonder about their intelligence (maybe they are all inbreeths)

The scottish region was a huge benefiter off EU grants, both for regional developements, the small-scale agriculture and for employment and labor market supports. The Ultra right "tax paradise" thinkers does not have any intent of continuing with any form of support off any sector anywhere they do also not have any interest or political representation in Scottland.

This leaves Scottland in a very big predicament and the risk off becoming a socially vulnerable and depopulating region within the UK. The lack of political influence of the ultra right also makes the scottish politicians very determent to leave the UK and re apply to the EU. Let's see if the ultra rights smoke screen of immigration will be enough to hold those politicians at bay....

And then there is the Scottish problem that they didn't even anticipated, but they should have. Makes me wonder about their intelligence (maybe they are all inbreeths)

The scottish region was a huge benefiter off EU grants, both for regional developements, the small-scale agriculture and for employment and labor market supports. The Ultra right "tax paradise" thinkers does not have any intent of continuing with any form of support off any sector anywhere they do also not have any interest or political representation in Scottland.

This leaves Scottland in a very big predicament and the risk off becoming a socially vulnerable and depopulating region within the UK. The lack of political influence of the ultra right also makes the scottish politicians very determent to leave the UK and re apply to the EU. Let's see if the ultra rights smoke screen of immigration will be enough to hold those politicians at bay....
And this week the SNP has come within a cats whisker of having the absolute majority in the Scottish election. With their allies they now have a electoral majority for independence.

And this week the SNP has come within a cats whisker of having the absolute majority in the Scottish election. With their allies they now have a electoral majority for independence.
I know, but you have to enticipate that Boris Johnson will do everything in his power to make sure that no referendum takes place(maybe even take a hint from Spain and throw the Scottish MPs in jail) and if he fails the campaign in Scottland will be both dirty and racist (the ultra conservatives only card for getting people to vote with them is the scare of immigrants)

Now I don't think the immigrant scare will work in Scottland. The Scottish people just have to much to lose if they stay within the UK.

Maybe Boris will be told by his benefiters to give the scottish region insurence off support? But if they do, what about northern Irland and for that matter Wales? Will the power that doesn't want any support at al (not even health insurance) be forced to launch the biggest support program in the UK history???

Kind off makes their work (and money) for achieving Brexit null and void...

I know, but you have to enticipate that Boris Johnson will do everything in his power to make sure that no referendum takes place(maybe even take a hint from Spain and throw the Scottish MPs in jail) and if he fails the campaign in Scottland will be both dirty and racist (the ultra conservatives only card for getting people to vote with them is the scare of immigrants)

Now I don't think the immigrant scare will work in Scottland. The Scottish people just have to much to lose if they stay within the UK.
It is with difficulty that Boris will be throwing any Scottish MPs in jail since it's very unlikely Sturgeon would go down the illegal referendum route, let alone sanction flagrantly misappropriating public funds in order to do so.

the British(not the Australians...) want to keep the cake and eat it.

Don't we all?

It was the Brits that wanted a hard Brexit,
Actually, the majority of Brits did not want a hard Brexit.
. The Brit's are only letting those stay that they have the need for

Correct. Why take in those that are not needed?

Working class Brits were tired of seeing foreigners (especially from Eastern Europe) flooding in and taking jobs they feel should have been for them. The over supply of unskilled workers kept wages low and rents high.
The very reason it took so long to get a deal and that Theresa May was outmaneuvered and Boris Johnson took her place was the idea of the need for as hard of a Brexit as was politically possible..
This is not true at all. May was a remainer uncomfortable with leaving the EU. Johnson was a leaver who embraced Brexit and got it done. He was the more suitable person to fulfil the wish of the British people as determined by the EU referendum.

Back
Top Bottom