• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#7426]How will Brexit go?***W:46]***

How will Brexit go?

• Total voters
This kind of blackmail (as the article describes it) is a perfect example of one of the reasons why the UK wants to leave the EU. However, the article does not identify the source so I will take it with a pinch of salt until there is more clarity on the claim.

France exports far more to the UK than vice versa, so if this were to happen and a trade war commenced (which I doubt) France would suffer far more than the UK..... and UK farmers, wine makers and manufacturers would be delighted to fill the gap.

Energy from France could quite easily be replaced and if this report alleging blackmail is true, the UK should start working on this immediately.

"the UK imported around 6% of its electricity supplies in 2018"

The source was linked.
Read more: https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1349210/Brexit-news-Emmanuel-Macron-France-fisheries-energy-blockade-threat-EU-punishment-vn/

Do you really think the German motor industry will allow this to happen?

Either they will pressure the EU to agree with the UK or they will drop their prices to allow for the tariff.

One thing is certain, the already struggling German motor vehicle industry cannot risk losing the 800 000 vehicles a year it exports to the UK.

You do understand that it is 10% on all cars regardless of where they are made? Also it is up to the UK if they want to impose the tariff, but if they do, then it is on Japanese made to US made to EU made cars.

You do understand that it is 10% on all cars regardless of where they are made? Also it is up to the UK if they want to impose the tariff, but if they do, then it is on Japanese made to US made to EU made cars.

I don't understand your comment, but to clarify, the 10% I referred to was on cars imported from the EU if there is no deal....not the whole world.

For example, the UK and Korea have already signed a trade deal that would allow tariff free import of Korean cars :

"99% of British products would enter the Korean market without tariffs, and vice versa. In particular, automobiles and automotive parts will be exported without tariffs."

UK Import of Korean cars has been increasing for years, mainly replacing Japanese and EU manufactured vehicles.

"UK now largest EU new car market for Korean car brands"

The source was linked.

I can't see the source. Your link appears to merely refer to the source as "Mr Macron told French radio".

The name of the radio station was not given.

I am assuming that there is no radio station in France called "French Radio".

Also please note :

"EMMANUEL Macron was last night left isolated by EU leaders scrambling to rescue Brexit talks from the brink of collapse. Influential figures, including Angela Merkel, vowed to compromise over a free-trade deal."

I am sure they would have if they could have.

Lol. Might more truthfully say e.g. that Australia would have been even more racist towards its indigenous population if it could've been.

I can't see the source. Your link appears to merely refer to the source as "Mr Macron told French radio".

The name of the radio station was not given.

I am assuming that there is no radio station in France called "French Radio".

Also please note :

"EMMANUEL Macron was last night left isolated by EU leaders scrambling to rescue Brexit talks from the brink of collapse. Influential figures, including Angela Merkel, vowed to compromise over a free-trade deal."

As you wish.

Do you feel you have more knowledge than the EU based Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development who estimate that the UK GDP will perform better than that of the EU over 2020/1?

Nope. I'm just looking at how much of a balls up moving product is going to be. You're doomed.

Lol. Might more truthfully say e.g. that Australia would have been even more racist towards its indigenous population if it could've been.
Er, there was nothing to stop it being so, sunshine.

Unlike some EU nations which have a far worse recent history of racism, Xenophobia and genocide.

Nope. I'm just looking at how much of a balls up moving product is going to be. You're doomed.
Then, if the UK is doomed, the OECD is predicting that the EU will be even worse off.

A bunch of fascists were predicting in recent memory that the UK was doomed, but they were wrong too.

Moving product will be no problem. The EU export far more to the UK than vice versa and I have complete confidence in their ability.

As you wish.
I don't wish for anything.

I'm just pointing out that an obscure mention of "French radio" is not a source in any shape or form.

The EU needs to take a good look at its policy of taking in refugees.

Especially in the light the recent beheading of a teacher by an Islamic refugee in the country.

In a credible newspaper story it's sufficient.
A "story" which vaguely refers to "French radio" is certainly not sufficient source.

I have since read other links which do indeed provide more information on Macron's attempt to blackmail the UK.

The UK imports only 6% of its energy requirements, so it is a threat that will result only in the UK deciding to source all its power locally in future.

Someone should tell Macron that the UK is the second largest export customer for French wine (after the USA).

Last edited:
A "story" which vaguely refers to "French radio" is certainly not sufficient source.

I have since read other links which do indeed provide more information on Macron's attempt to blackmail the UK.

The UK imports only 6% of its energy requirements, so it is a threat that will result only in the UK deciding to source all its power locally in future.

Someone should tell Macron that the UK is the second largest export customer for French wine (after the USA).
Macron would not be the first French leader to rattle a sabre which turns out to be surprisingly small.

I don't understand your comment, but to clarify, the 10% I referred to was on cars imported from the EU if there is no deal....not the whole world.

For example, the UK and Korea have already signed a trade deal that would allow tariff free import of Korean cars :

"99% of British products would enter the Korean market without tariffs, and vice versa. In particular, automobiles and automotive parts will be exported without tariffs."

UK Import of Korean cars has been increasing for years, mainly replacing Japanese and EU manufactured vehicles.

"UK now largest EU new car market for Korean car brands"

Yes and that is because they have an agreement to continue the current EU-South Korea deal... ironic no?

Regardless, unless you have a deal either via the WTO schedules or an actual trade deal.. then WTO rules are in place. These state, that any tariff you put on one nation, you have to put on all nations. So because there is no deal with the EU, any tariff the UK wants to put on the EU goods, has to be put on all similar goods from around the world unless there is a specific agreement with the individual country. Now of course, the UK could just not put tariffs on things.. that is their choice.

As for the EU.. they have no choice. Because the EU has 10% on cars from all places, but those with a trade deal (like South Korea), then cars from the UK will have a 10% tariff put on top.

That is why the UK situation is so insane. It is going from having free access/trade to large parts of the world, to having almost none. Because it is such a small country (relatively speaking), its negotiation power against the big boys it really wants to have trade deals with... will be quite painful. Take the US.. if it wants a deal with the US (regardless of who is in the White House), it will have to lower its standards and sell of its NHS. The UK has become LESS sovereign and free because of Brexit.

And we are only talking trade... from the 1st January based on the current situation, there could be no flights to the continent or pretty much elsewhere out of the UK, because the UK for some reason removed itself from that treaty as well and has yet to negotiate a new one. Banking is in serious problems, as we could be in a situation where the only way to get money out and into the UK is via Western Union type situations and not via banks.. due to lack of banking access. The list goes on... pray no one you know has cancer and needs radiation treatment.. still no deal on that.

Er, there was nothing to stop it being so, sunshine.

Unlike some EU nations which have a far worse recent history of racism, Xenophobia and genocide.

And you with the union jack on your flag and the Queen's head on your currency are thereby complicit in your fair share of such acts despite being an allegedly independent country as far away from the UK as it is physically possible to get.

A psychologist might conclude that your vocal enthusiasm for Brexit is a displacement activity to make up for the inability of your own nation to cut its apron-strings.

Last edited:
And you with the union jack on your flag and the Queen's head on your currency are thereby complicit in your fair share of such acts despite being an allegedly independent country as far away from the UK as it is physically possible to get.

I thought Ginza lived in Australia?

Then, if the UK is doomed, the OECD is predicting that the EU will be even worse off.

I am sure that will make you feel better while you scavenge in the ruins.

I am sure that will make you feel better while you scavenge in the ruins.

So you feel that your prediction is superior to the EU based and funded OECD?

Hmmmm!

Yes and that is because they have an agreement to continue the current EU-South Korea deal... ironic no?

I really have no idea what point you are trying to make. The deal with Korea is a new ideal entered into by the UK and Korea.

You were obviously ignorant of the fact that EU cars exported into the UK will have a 10% tariff if there is no deal, whilst vehicles from Korea will enter tariff free due to a deal already agreed between the UK and Korea.

A no deal will substantially damage the EU motor industry. That is why I believe a deal will be concluded.

Much of your huffing and puffing appears to have no point at all and appears to result from bitterness and disappointment that the EU's most influential nation has decided to no longer be a member.

It is going from having free access/trade to large parts of the world, to having almost none.

I have previously posted links on this site which list the dozens of trade deals already entered into or in progress between the UK and other nations.

So again you post a claim ("almost none") that is clearly incorrect

The UK has become LESS sovereign and free because of Brexit.

That's just another thumb such claim which has no basis in fact. it's ludicrous to claim that the UK is less free because Brits will now make ALL decisions that affect Brits.

I gave an example of my family in Ireland and how they tell me that the Irish are seething over the EU taking their country to the European Commission over the way Ireland taxes Apple Inc. The case has cost both sides millions of Euros and the EU has said it will appeal the adverse decision that has gone against them. Ireland is no longer free to make its own decisions. ....just as it was not free when Britain ruled the country.

The UK will no longer have to conform to the "freedom of movement" condition and will have total control over who lives and works in the country. It can make its own trade deals....... its own standards etc.

And you claim it will be less free?

Surely you can't be serious?

Surely your disappointment at UK leaving the EU is affecting your judgement?

I am not sure what acts you are talking about? Are you talking about the treatment of Aboriginals? If so, many would argue that our treatment of indigenous people has been far better than that of people from the European continent. The Germans, Dutch,Spanish, Portuguese,French,Belgians etc all have far worse records than Australians. Britain suffered centuries of raping, pillaging and murdering by Scandinavians.

Mainland Europeans have by far the worst record of abuse against people they have invaded/conquered of any people in the world.

Don't forget that when you point a finger at other, there are four fingers pointing at yourself.

The fact that many Australians value their links with Britain is testament to the fact that Australians see Britain as being a force for good in the world.....and there is plenty of justification for feeling this way.

A psychologist might conclude that your vocal enthusiasm for Brexit is a displacement activity to make up for the inability of your own nation to cut its apron-strings.

Psychologists are not so dumb and ignorant as to make such an absurd claim.

The UK is only Australia's seventh largest trading partner, but our relationship with the UK goes far beyond that. It was Britain and it's former colonies that were the largest contributors, along with Russia, to keeping Europe free from European fascists. Australians are immensely proud that they helped Britain and her allies defeat fascists and imperialists from Europe and Japan.

And why would we not support Brexit, as it will clearly benefit Australia. We would much rather increase our trade with the UK than with our current largest trading partner, China.

I personally would like the apron strings to stay exactly where they are. Only 31% of Australians have British heritage.....which is yet more proof that respect for Britain in Australia goes far beyond DNA.

Unfortunately, many EU citizens are evidently extremely jealous of this respect many people around the world have for the British.

Last edited:
Johnson is just taking the piss, now.
Taking the piss is a British tradition lol. By the way it’s not taking the piss if it would benefit EU citizens too...Johnson is putting pressure on the EU via its citizens connections to the U.K...you do know millions of EU citizens would rather live here than the EU don’t you?

Back
Top Bottom