• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#7426]How will Brexit go?***W:46]***

How will Brexit go?

• Total voters
We are also the biggest external investors in the US.

No disrespect but I was positive that you had that one wrong until I checked up and discovered that the UK is indeed the biggest investor in the USA (29%) ahead of Japan, the next biggest (12%).

The USA is by far the largest investor in Australia (26%) followed by the UK (18%).

Wrong as usual...our best trade is with the US. We are also the biggest external investors in the US. We are probably better connected to the US than to any of our other trading partners. Just a little example of how interconnected the Brits and Americans are...my sister has an American husband...she lives in Arizona, one of my best mate’s sons lives in Florida, my step brother lives in Oregon With his American wife and a good mate’s brother lives in Colorado with his American wife.
English working people do not invest in the USA. You are very much mistaken if you think the working class of Manchester, South Yorkshire, and London are to be confused with financial advisors and investment brokers like Tory Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Just need to point out that our trade deal with the EU was not free at all....we paid big bucks year on year to have a massive trade deficit with them.
That was to pay for the operations of the EU

English working people do not invest in the USA. You are very much mistaken if you think the working class of Manchester, South Yorkshire, and London are to be confused with financial advisors and investment brokers like Tory Jacob Rees-Mogg.
Have you ever heard of pension plans? There are loads of possible ways that working class people can benefit from U.K. investment in the US...for instance the fact that the US invests similar amounts here.

That was to pay for the operations of the EU
Lol...so we always get to pay in whilst other countries always get to receive. We were paying in 15 to 18 billion a year and getting a fraction of that back... then the EU gave grants to Land Rover to build in Slovakia and Ford to make their Transit outside the EU....seems like a really shitty deal lol..why don’t you Canadians fill our space...they’re looking for someone with some spare cash.😂

Lol...so we always get to pay in whilst other countries always get to receive. We were paying in 15 to 18 billion a year and getting a fraction of that back... then the EU gave grants to Land Rover to build in Slovakia and Ford to make their Transit outside the EU....seems like a really shitty deal lol..why don’t you Canadians fill our space...they’re looking for someone with some spare cash.😂
Germany paid even more if I recall correctly

Amazing that the evil fascist EU superstate and its totalitarian legal system never put a stop to all this UK investment in the US.

not only that - the Brits had a special deal to pay less than the others (dependend on their gdp), the british rebate - nobody ever could tell me why
The EU and Euro both worked well for Germany. It created a vast market and the Euro meant that other member states could borrow money cheaply to buy German goods. The U.K. is primarily a service economy and does most of its trade internally so the EU never worked for us.

The EU and Euro both worked well for Germany. It created a vast market and the Euro meant that other member states could borrow money cheaply to buy German goods. The U.K. is primarily a service economy and does most of its trade internally so the EU never worked for us.
Other than becoming a financial centre for much of the EU, which is likely to be lost over the next few years

Have you ever heard of pension plans? There are loads of possible ways that working class people can benefit from U.K. investment in the US...for instance the fact that the US invests similar amounts here.
Unlike financial services profiteers like Eton-educated Tory Jacob Rees-Mogg, the only banks thousands of English working class families know about are the food banks that help mothers provide dinners for their children.

This evening the Conservative government has voted down – by a majority of 61 – a motion put forward by the Labour Party calling on the Conservatives to extend free school meals over the holidays up to and including the Easter break next year.
https://labourlist.org/2020/10/cons...on-to-extend-free-school-meals-over-holidays/

Dinner time in England
beans1.jpg

Mummy, someday can we go to the seaside in a coach?

Germany paid even more if I recall correctly
They get far more benefit because of their motor industry.

They have a positive trade balance with the rest of the EU compared to the deficit trade balance of the UK.

Unlike financial services profiteers like Eton-educated Tory Jacob Rees-Mogg, the only banks thousands of English working class families know about are the food banks that help mothers provide dinners for their children.

Your anger and frustration with the UK is obviously becoming less easy for you to control.

I sympathise with your disappointment that the UK is leaving the EU, and we are in agreement that not everything in the UK is perfect, but you would have far more credibility if you posted the truth.

Food banks in the UK are mainly used by those with personal issues, as a town Councillor recently pointed out :

"food banks are only visited by “those with drug, alcohol and mental health problems”

Those who want to work in the UK really don't have much problem finding jobs. in fact, the UK has a lower unemployment rate than the EU.

We can all look forward to the ten per cent tariffs on new European cars come January. Thanks, Bozo!

His "Australia deal" (which means crash out no deal) means WTO tariffs apply.

I'm betting the UK implodes first. By March of next year, absolute latest.

Do you feel you have more knowledge than the EU based Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development who estimate that the UK GDP will perform better than that of the EU over 2020/1?

We can all look forward to the ten per cent tariffs on new European cars come January. Thanks, Bozo!

Do you really think the German motor industry will allow this to happen?

Either they will pressure the EU to agree with the UK or they will drop their prices to allow for the tariff.

One thing is certain, the already struggling German motor vehicle industry cannot risk losing the 800 000 vehicles a year it exports to the UK.

Other than becoming a financial centre for much of the EU, which is likely to be lost over the next few years

Er, it has never been the financial centre for the EU. The Germans would laugh at such a suggestion.

It has been a clearing house for international transfers....but this has never contributed a great deal to the UK economic welfare.

Amazing that the evil fascist EU superstate and its totalitarian legal system never put a stop to all this UK investment in the US.

I am sure they would have if they could have.

French President Macron Threatens a Devastating Electricity Embargo against Renewables Obsessed Britain
Britain may be about to pay a heavy price for their mad dash for renewables, and neglect of energy self sufficiency. As Brexit negotiations enter a standoff, France is threatening to embargo desperately needed British imports of dispatchable electricity generated by French nuclear reactors, unless Britain permanently cedes fishing rights in British territorial waters to the EU.
Continue reading →

French President Macron Threatens a Devastating Electricity Embargo against Renewables Obsessed Britain
Britain may be about to pay a heavy price for their mad dash for renewables, and neglect of energy self sufficiency. As Brexit negotiations enter a standoff, France is threatening to embargo desperately needed British imports of dispatchable electricity generated by French nuclear reactors, unless Britain permanently cedes fishing rights in British territorial waters to the EU.
Continue reading →

This kind of blackmail (as the article describes it) is a perfect example of one of the reasons why the UK wants to leave the EU. However, the article does not identify the source so I will take it with a pinch of salt until there is more clarity on the claim.

France exports far more to the UK than vice versa, so if this were to happen and a trade war commenced (which I doubt) France would suffer far more than the UK..... and UK farmers, wine makers and manufacturers would be delighted to fill the gap.

Energy from France could quite easily be replaced and if this report alleging blackmail is true, the UK should start working on this immediately.

"the UK imported around 6% of its electricity supplies in 2018"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom