• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#7426]How will Brexit go?***W:46]***

How will Brexit go?

• Total voters
Not sure I have this entirely correct, but in January:

In a no deal scenario imports and exports get 20% slapped on.

A truck with food products needs a permit of transit per food type.

Every truck will need to go through full inspection (current rate is 1 in 50) causing backlogs in Kent and delays in Calais

Any live animal transport will need vet sign off, this is for food only, no pets for travel will be allowed

Trucks that normally do three or four drop offs on the continent will only be allowed single set down and return

The ability to import and export electricity via the single market expires including the ability to buy discounted wholesale prices on gas and oil

Access to Europol or raising arrest warrants in Europe goes from a day to six months

Access to European criminal databases ends

If things go really bad (ie the UK doesn't uphold the Northern Ireland part of the withdrawal agreement), pilots wont be insured to land in EU airports, the flights themselves cannot cross EU airspace

Access to Euratom is ended which is the only supplier of the radio isotope for CT/MRI machines

Some financial services will immediately lose access, but not the clearing houses this being the card the UK has to play over the EU. It will take between 5 and 10 years but all Euro currency clearing will move back within the EU.

Rights of citizens living abroad end including their insurance and healthcare though countries are expected to allow people to nationalize and take up the countries passport.

Drivers licenses wont be recognized, annoying for traveling, detrimental to delivery truck drivers

Access to the European GPS may end right away or be staged, if right away location services turn off.

Permits of transport of chemicals for textiles under the echa ends which would affect manufacturing .

Consumers have to have jobs to buy things, otherwise it matters little if the quality of goods are better and cheaper

Mexico had millions of people who lost farming jobs and did not have corresponding jobs created by free trade. Hence a mass migration to the US to find jobs
Yes, and . . . ?

Just speculation, but I suspect more and more people will want to explore the idea.

Pretty sure New Zealand has zero reasons to upset the applecart. We're their 4th largest trading partner, not their first, and we've proven that we can't stick to a deal, same as the UK has.

Pretty sure New Zealand has zero reasons to upset the applecart. We're their 4th largest trading partner, not their first, and we've proven that we can't stick to a deal, same as the UK has.
We shall see.

It might happen. Tories have a track record for giving their leaders the boot.

From an article about the Manchester lockdown chaos:

'In a sign of anger among “red wall” Tory voters at Johnson’s approach, the Manchester Young Conservatives tweeted: “Boris has lied about helping us in the north. It’s time for him to go. He’s not a Conservative. He’s got no back bone or genuine deals. He’s incompetent. He has now lost all the seats we worked so hard in Greater Manchester to win.”'

I just heard a UK 'government' radio ad. telling us to 'check, change, go' at the gov. website. Since the ad. specifically mentions 'one man bands' and I have played in Europe as the lesser part of a 'one man band with a band', I was like, ok, show me.

Literally took me 15 seconds via site/link/embedded link to get to this: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/social-...ople-working-in-the-eu-the-eea-or-switzerland

"This guidance was withdrawn on 29 January 2020

This page has been withdrawn because it’s out of date."

Thanks, Boris, that's a real help.

Labour costs in Australia are too high to dramatically increase value added to the raw materials.

You have hit the nail on the head. I agree that Labour costs are far too high here. This is one of my main criticisms of Australia.

They could be decreased dramatically by taking in foreign workers on working visas, but the Trades Union vigorously oppose this. The Labor Party is very strong here, although not currently in power, and the country has a large working class population, so the Liberals are scared stiff of losing votes due to bringing in foreign workers.

There are other reasons too for not wanting foreigners here. Australians are quite racist imo. My ex wife was Asian and I remember shortly after moving here and buying a house, I asked a tradesman to come and fix my irrigation. A nice friendly guy, but he started going on about all the Asians in Australia and what a problem they were......only for my ex to come out of the house with a cup of coffee for each of us. When she had gone we both burst out laughing. He said "Why didn't you tell me, mate"?. I replied that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Admittedly, racism is probably far worse here in the resource laden Western Australia than it is in the big cities of Sydney, Melbourne etc.

This is also the most macho culture I have ever lived in and being a tradesman is seen as a manly career whilst accountants, lawyers, doctors, academics etc are seen as more in the nerd group. This unfortunate attitude has resulted in Australia having what I feel are the most talented tradies I've ever come across.....many of whom are more than capable of being senior managers in other areas of commerce/industry. The country is plainly not making best use of the human resources it has available.

'In a sign of anger among “red wall” Tory voters at Johnson’s approach, the Manchester Young Conservatives tweeted: “Boris has lied about helping us in the north. It’s time for him to go. He’s not a Conservative. He’s got no back bone or genuine deals. He’s incompetent. He has now lost all the seats we worked so hard in Greater Manchester to win.”'

I was born in Greater Manchester (Bolton) and I have absolutely no doubt that it was only Boris's support for Brexit that won so many seats for the Tories in the area, that were previously held by Labour (including one in Bolton).

These seats will go back to Labour at the next election no matter what Boris does.

I just heard a UK 'government' radio ad. telling us to 'check, change, go' at the gov. website. Since the ad. specifically mentions 'one man bands' and I have played in Europe as the lesser part of a 'one man band with a band', I was like, ok, show me.

Literally took me 15 seconds via site/link/embedded link to get to this: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/social-...ople-working-in-the-eu-the-eea-or-switzerland

"This guidance was withdrawn on 29 January 2020

This page has been withdrawn because it’s out of date."

Thanks, Boris, that's a real help.
It looks like No Deal which has been on the cards since Boris Johnson became prime minister.

Yea, how dare they live on land that the great British Empire wanted... at least the Zulus were black and could be killed off into submission...

Have you not Googled yet that it was the Boers who invaded in 1899, wanting to take over British territory, not the British?

I lived for some years in Natal. This colony was always British, having been established by British traders. It was invaded by the Boers in 1839, who attacked both the British and Zulus and set up a "Republic". The British chucked them out in 1843. The Boers invaded again in 1899.

Get your facts straight.

First off no, the EU did not cave. They have ALWAYS been willing to compromise.

Oh, please! Don't make me laugh. The EU have been saying that there will be no more negotiating, going right back to the days of PM May.

The EU have been using brinkmanship for the past couple of years...as have the British.

The EU are caving in now purely because they have more to lose, especially the European motor industry who would be severely affected by a no deal and the consequent 10% tariff, which you were blissfully ignorant of until I pointed this out to you.

the Brexit people want a hard brexit for personal financial reasons,

Wow! Talk about silly, unsubstantiated claims! That one takes the cake.

You said previously it was all about oldies wanted to bring back the Empire or some such twaddle.

Before that, it was British racism.

Make up your mind which fairy story you are going to believe and then stick to it.

The issue that tipped the scale in favour of Brexit for millions of Brits was the "freedom of movement" condition.

Neither a hard or soft Brexit has any influence on this issue, as it is already settled forever.

The Americans will wipe the floor with the Brits without the protections of the European Union to back them.

And what "protections" are you talking about?

Yes, but that was not part of the free trade agreement. In the EU it is
Just need to point out that our trade deal with the EU was not free at all....we paid big bucks year on year to have a massive trade deficit with them.

The Americans will wipe the floor with the Brits without the protections of the European Union to back them.
Wrong as usual...our best trade is with the US. We are also the biggest external investors in the US. We are probably better connected to the US than to any of our other trading partners. Just a little example of how interconnected the Brits and Americans are...my sister has an American husband...she lives in Arizona, one of my best mate’s sons lives in Florida, my step brother lives in Oregon With his American wife and a good mate’s brother lives in Colorado with his American wife.

Back
Top Bottom