• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How well-informed do you think you are about the 2022 elections ?

On a scale from 1 to 10, I am …

• Total voters
Despite not being an American, I probably know a lot more about your upcoming elections than 95% of Americans.

You can ask me stuff if you want …

Despite not being an American, I probably know a lot more about your upcoming elections than 95% of Americans.

You can ask me stuff if you want …
Democrats will lose badly in both the House and the Senate.

Why?

(I already know the correct answer - - I'm just seeing if you do too)

Not at all informed.

I assume that the Republicans will do well.

But in some red states (such as California), the Dems will continue to do very well as usual.

So I guess that those so-called purple states may cast the deciding vote.

If Team Biden could find some way to preserve Ukraine's integrity and some way to, uh, "retire" that Kremlin monster, a lot of people -- including me -- would vote Democratic out of sheer gratitude.

Why?

I think they will lose badly in the House, the Senate is still up for grabs.

Why ?

Because the political mood in the 1st midterm of a new president is usually stacked against the party of the president.

Together with high inflation, it’s looking bad for Biden & Democrats.

Not at all informed.

But in some red states (such as California), the Dems will continue to do very well as usual.

If Team Biden could find some way to preserve Ukraine's integrity and some way to, uh, "retire" that Kremlin monster, a lot of people -- including me -- would vote Democratic out of sheer gratitude.

I also assume the Rs will do well. Only the size of victory is still unclear.

But CA is not a red state. More like a blue state.

In fact, up until the 1970s, US TV used red for Dems and blue for Reps, but then changed to red for the Republicans and blue for Democrats.

Here in Europe, we still use red for center-left parties like Social Democrats, while conservative parties are often blue.

I would say a 9 to 10 on the US elections, despite not being an American, and 10 on the Austrian elections.
Can you define "well informed" in the context of your poll? Thanks

Not at all informed.

That is mostly correct.

In the House, there are some 50 to 80 really close seats (out of 435) who will decide the election there.

Many in purple states.

In the Senate, 35 of 100 seats are up for election in November, but only 10 of the 35 will be competitive:

NV, AZ, WI, OH, PA, NH, MO, NC, GA and FL.

Basically all of those states are purple states, or swing states, or used to be in the past 20 years.

The Governor races are harder to predict, because it really depends on the job each governor does. Most governors have good approval ratings and will hardly be defeated. Open seats are often pickup opportunities, such as in Arizona, where the Republican governor has served 2 terms and is retiring. Dems could pick it up.

Republicans could pick up Kansas for example.

Can you define "well informed" in the context of your poll? Thanks

Do you think you have a good knowledge of the upcoming races ? The candidates ? Do you get enough information from media ? Is it unbiased ? Are you getting enough election information from the state ?

Why?

Because of the inflation the Covid pandemic has brought. Even a tree knows that people are too ****ing stupid to upstand even the basics of economics.

Do you think you have a good knowledge of the upcoming races ? The candidates ? Do you get enough information from media ? Is it unbiased ? Are you getting enough election information from the state ?

You mean who is running on the local ballet?

You mean who is running on the local ballet?

„Informed“ would mostly mean your local ballot yes, or statewide.

“Really informed“ would also include knowledge of candidates or chances in other states.

I for example know of the situation in the US as a whole, who the candidates are in Pennsylvania or in Arizona and so forth.

But I’m a nerd.

But CA is not a red state. More like a blue state.
I have lived in California all my 84 years.

I should have said "blue," indeed.

I have never gotten used to the use of "red" for conservative (as in "the red states of the South").

The color "red" in my youth always referred to, say, the communists ( as in Red China).

You are so correct. California in 2022 is blue, blue, and blue.

I have lived in California all my 84 years.

I should have said "blue," indeed.

I have never gotten used to the use of "red" for conservative (as in "the red states of the South").

The color "red" in my youth always referred to, say, the communists ( as in Red China).

You are so correct. California in 2022 is blue, blue, and blue.

Yeah, I also associate center-left parties with red and conservative ones with blue, but the US media decided otherwise in the 1970s and changed the coloring to what it is now …

CA will actually have 2 Senate elections this year for the same seat.

Appointed Democratic Senator Alex Padilla will compete in a special election, where he will serve the final weeks of Kamala Harris’s term as an officially elected Senator … LOL.

Which means from November to January 3 or so.

If he also wins the regular Senate election on the same ballot, he’ll also serve another 6 years as elected Senator.

Why you need to win a special election after being appointed is beyond me …

Also:

CA might be a heavily D state, but in the US House election, it has more than 50 seats. If there is a Republican wave, Rs would actually pick up quite a few seats in CA too …

Thousands of candidates. For US Senate, House, Governors. Then there are initiatives and local elections. And state legislature elections and statewide offices.
Big "duh" on that one, my friend.

You claimed to have knowledge 95% of us Americans didn't have.

Telling us there are "thousands of candidates and initiatives" is about as informative as telling us snow is white - which isn't exactly knowledge only you and 5% of Americans possess.

So I'm calling BS on that claim. Nice try though.

I only have to concern myself with the elections that will be held in my state. If MTG wins in her state, there wasn't anything at all that I could do about that.

Having an Austrian claim to be the know all, be all, of US elections does not sit well with me. Is that you Arnold?

Big "duh" on that one, my friend.

You claimed to have knowledge 95% of us Americans didn't have.

Telling us there are "thousands of candidates and initiatives" is about as informative as telling us snow is white - which isn't exactly knowledge only you and 5% of Americans possess.

So I'm calling BS on that claim. Nice try though.

But you said: Who is running ?

I cannot list all races, of which there are a thousand or more of course.

It still does not change the fact I know most races and candidates (on the federal & state level).

I don’t care that much about state legislature or initiatives.

Having an Austrian claim to be the know all, be all, of US elections does not sit well with me. Is that you Arnold?

Why not ?

I just had an interest in US politics since forever and read a lot about it.

Besides, I am not Arnold (but I know more about elections and races than he, I guess).

I would say a 9 to 10 on the US elections, despite not being an American, and 10 on the Austrian elections.
I don't know. Perhaps when the 2022 elections actually get here, maybe then I will know.

Why not ?

I just had an interest in US politics since forever and read a lot about it.

Besides, I am not Arnold (but I know more about elections and races than he, I guess).
You know more than Arnold about elections than Arnold? Okay then, what election for public office have you ever ran in and won?

Why?

I wouldn't bet too heavily on that. MAGA Cult has lost some of their allure, plus a high number of COVID deaths. I think '22 is a wait & see.
Who gets to vote & who does vote will be the tell.

Back
Top Bottom