• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How to use the secret emoticon set?

ASHES

An Uncertain Person
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
So, like many here I enjoy using emoticons on occasion, because sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. I was happy when I saw the forum had an emoticon for bricks (🧱) when even my phone doesn't have one. However, when doing a search recently, I see that the emoticons used in the search results are not the same set anywhere else. Is it possible to use those instead, or are we stuck on the ones currently in use, with the search results being an anomaly?

It's just, a Brick Wall is such a better emoticon for "bricks" than 3 lone bricks in a sad little pile. I much prefer the Brick Wall emoticon, as seen below. Thank you for your time.

20210211_203558.jpg

Ashes:

One needs to study the arcane and mystical tradition of "Emoticabala" before he universe unveils access to such hidden and secret wisdom. Patience Grasshopper! 🐷🧱

Be well in balance and humility.
Evilroddy.

@ASHES Hit Post Reply; at the top you will see a line of symbols. Use your cursor on each symbol to see what it means. When you get to the smile-face symbol, it will say "Smilies". Click it. You will be shown lots and lots of emoticons. Click the one you want, and it will be posted in your reply.

Who else is now perusing the forum emojis?

I still want access to the secret Pogs forum.

@ASHES Hit Post Reply; at the top you will see a line of symbols. Use your cursor on each symbol to see what it means. When you get to the smile-face symbol, it will say "Smilies". Click it. You will be shown lots and lots of emoticons. Click the one you want, and it will be posted in your reply.
That is not the same as the one that shows up on the search results page (compare the two screenshots) They're both :bricks :
Thanks though.Screenshot_20210211-220846_Chrome.jpg

🦉

Thank you for providing another example:

Writing a post, reading a post in thread, from emoticon set A:
20210212_103529.jpg

Viewing user's posts, search results, otherwise fetched posts, emoticon set B:
20210212_103451.jpg

(Set B emoticons are always shown italicized, they look better when not.)

The Owl hath spoken.....so let it be written, so let it be done.

The Owl hath spoken.....so let it be written, so let it be done.
But nobody is acknowledging the actual issue I am having. I didn't need a tutorial on using emoticons, my post history shows I am well versed.

But nobody is acknowledging the actual issue I am having. I didn't need a tutorial on using emoticons, my post history shows I am well versed.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark at this. It may have something to do with the send and receive coding. I think most times each place on the web that you use emoticons the owner of the sending and receiving is not the same. So the descrambling of the code does not happen to make them the same.

So, like many here I enjoy using emoticons on occasion, because sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. I was happy when I saw the forum had an emoticon for bricks (🧱) when even my phone doesn't have one. However, when doing a search recently, I see that the emoticons used in the search results are not the same set anywhere else. Is it possible to use those instead, or are we stuck on the ones currently in use, with the search results being an anomaly?

It's just, a Brick Wall is such a better emoticon for "bricks" than 3 lone bricks in a sad little pile. I much prefer the Brick Wall emoticon, as seen below. Thank you for your time.

What @Pippi Longstock wrote is what I found. It's because device manufacturers and software makers use their own images to represent each emoji. When you send an emoji, you're sending a unicode character which is then translated to an image by the software you're using like facebook messenger or your phone's text message software.

Possibly the forum software either has two sets of emoticons, maybe to differentiate searches, which I doubt they'll change and redirect the code for. Or they're using a different server/database for searches.

What @Pippi Longstock wrote is what I found. It's because device manufacturers and software makers use their own images to represent each emoji. When you send an emoji, you're sending a unicode character which is then translated to an image by the software you're using like facebook messenger or your phone's text message software.

Possibly the forum software either has two sets of emoticons, maybe to differentiate searches, which I doubt they'll change and redirect the code for. Or they're using a different server/database for searches.
I see what you guys are saying, but I've accounted for that variable in the fact that on my phone, a different icon set appears when I pick one from my keyboard, but the reply emoticon set is always the same regardless of device or browser, and same for the search results set.

I see what you guys are saying, but I've accounted for that variable in the fact that on my phone, a different icon set appears when I pick one from my keyboard, but the reply emoticon set is always the same regardless of device or browser, and same for the search results set.

Throw your computer out! it's a secret Russian set of emoticons. I had a suspicion as soon as I saw the crooked owl.

There are emoji's as separate images (like you would upload/attache, or copy and paste an img url within image [*]s. Then there are "Unicode Character" emojis in which a selected code directs a universal image to appear.
That universal image may appear differently based on your operating system and even be italicized and even change to a different one when posted.
When preparing my post the Owl appears as the one from mi's*soft and can even be italicized. But upon posting it switches to the joypixel's image which can be seen at the second link.

Owl
(info link) | Second link with a few more images.
🦉

Owl.jpg

Brick
(info link) | Second link with a few more images.
🧱
brick.jpg

Last edited:
How do you search for emojis? The search feature is for forums, threads, and posts - not tiny images.

How do you search for emojis? The search feature is for forums, threads, and posts - not tiny images.
Emojis are text strings replaced by an image for the end user. : bricks: : ) etc.

View attachment 67317790
I don't know how to do that here yet except for the :) - I just use the colon and close-paren for that. When I want to use emoji's it works best when I post from my phone.

I don't know how to do that here yet except for the :) - I just use the colon and close-paren for that. When I want to use emoji's it works best when I post from my phone.
I usually do phone, but my phones don't have bricks, so I have to type ': bricks' (without the space) until the emoticon pops up like when you @ someone and the names come up.

I usually do phone, but my phones don't have bricks, so I have to type ': bricks' (without the space) until the emoticon pops up like when you @ someone and the names come up.
🧱 Cool!!!!!! I assume when I type': loser' a picture of trump comes up?

I can't speak on the subject of phones and DP because I think I have only "phoned in" maybe twice.
I hate trying to "internet" on phones, but I do know that if you "RIGHT click" (Windows) you get another emoji set.

Also, I stole a bunch of emojis from another forum I am on, so I have access to emojis like "tonbricks" tonbricks.gif and a few others that I find amusing.

🧱 Cool!!!!!! I assume when I type': loser' a picture of trump comes up?
🎺

I can't speak on the subject of phones and DP because I think I have only "phoned in" maybe twice.
I hate trying to "internet" on phones, but I do know that if you "RIGHT click" (Windows) you get another emoji set.

Also, I stole a bunch of emojis from another forum I am on, so I have access to emojis like "tonbricks" View attachment 67355286 and a few others that I find amusing.
Been awhile since I've seen that one! Didn't know that about doing it on Windows, last time I needed emoticons on PC I installed an extension.

Back
Top Bottom