• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How to Thrive on $10 per Hour: A Manual

xMathFanx

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Note, I will be applying absolutely provable laws & facts as strong as the Kinematic Equations from Physics--see below:

-One can easily find an apartment for $750 rent per month in a nice, safe area

-Electric bill between $20-$50 per month

-Internet only package for $50 a month (optional)

-Phone bill, service + unlimited data for $50

-Food for $60 per week, is $240 per month

-Miscellaneous for $100 a month

Then, taking the high end for each estimate, we arrive at a figure of $1250--note one could do with much less, say $1000 per month if necessary.

Now, 10x40x52=20,800. ==> 20,800/12=1,733.33

Before taxes, one would would be able to pay for necessities plus $500 surplus per month.

Now, factoring in taxes, 8.3x40x52=17,264. ==> 17,264/12=1,438.66

Therefore, an individual making $10/hr wage with taxes included, even in the absence of other benefits, will be able live a comfortable local lifestyle with bills payed, necessities met, and some pocket change for spending and/or saving. Further, one could up their hours to 50 or 60 per week, which still provides enough free time to read a book a week, train/exercise, engage in hobbies, etc., relax/sleep.

For 50 hrs: 8.3x50x52=21,580. Also, some money will be back awarded during tax season, say several hundred. Then, about $22,000 per year. Potential to save $7000 per year.

For 60 hrs: 8.3x60x52=25,896. Again, money will be back awarded, say several hundred again. Then, $26,300 per year. Potential to save $11,3000.

Thus, not only would one be able to survive, they can (a) attend Community college and/or 4 year College (b) save up to purchase their own home/land within a few years or so (c) spend excess money on trips, etc. as they please upon their own discretion.

Endnotes on bills:

-MetroPCS offers $30-50 a month phone bill as described ==> https://www.metropcs.com/shop/plans

-Verizon offers $50 a month internet only plan ==> Verizon Fios Internet, TV, Phone

-Dollar Tree & other dollar stores provide fruits, vegetables, fish, meat, oatmeal, bread, nuts, cleaning supplies, other household supplies, etc. for $1 each ==>https://www.dollartree.com/department/food-candy-drinks

-One could find an apartment in that price & location range immediately online. Here is an example, I simply typed in Columbus, Ohio. Note, Columbus, Ohio is home to Ohio State University, which is $10,000 per year, and could also be attended on a $10/hr wage as described here and elsewhere. ==> https://www.forrent.com/find/OH/metro-Columbus/Columbus/price-700+1000

-Miscellaneous items including clothes, washer+dryer, etc. Walmart, Macy's, Outlets, Amazon, etc. etc. have plenty of nice, low priced/discounted clothes. Washer and dryer, say $20 a month. Library is free, which provides all necessary books, audiobooks, movies, newspaper, magazines, video games, etc. etc. Also, used book stores have all such items for extremely cheap as well, say $2-3 per used book/video/game. Here is one such branch ==> https://www.betterworldbooks.com/

Does it include advice to IMPROVE YOUR MARKETABLE SKILLS?

Note, I will be applying absolutely provable laws & facts as strong as the Kinematic Equations from Physics--see below:

Then, taking the high end for each estimate, we arrive at a figure of $1250--note one could do with much less, say $1000 per month if necessary.

Before taxes, one would would be able to pay for necessities plus $500 surplus per month.

Therefore, an individual making $10/hr wage with taxes included, even in the absence of other benefits, will be able live a comfortable local lifestyle with bills payed, necessities met, and some pocket change for spending and/or saving. Further, one could up their hours to 50 or 60 per week, which still provides enough free time to read a book a week, train/exercise, engage in hobbies, etc., relax/sleep.

For 50 hrs: 8.3x50x52=21,580. Also, some money will be back awarded during tax season, say several hundred. Then, about $22,000 per year. Potential to save $7000 per year.

For 60 hrs: 8.3x60x52=25,896. Again, money will be back awarded, say several hundred again. Then, $26,300 per year. Potential to save $11,3000.

Thus, not only would one be able to survive, they can (a) attend Community college and/or 4 year College (b) save up to purchase their own home/land within a few years or so (c) spend excess money on trips, etc. as they please upon their own discretion.

Endnotes on bills:

-MetroPCS offers $30-50 a month phone bill as described ==> https://www.metropcs.com/shop/plans

-Verizon offers $50 a month internet only plan ==> Verizon Fios Internet, TV, Phone

-Dollar Tree & other dollar stores provide fruits, vegetables, fish, meat, oatmeal, bread, nuts, cleaning supplies, other household supplies, etc. for $1 each ==>https://www.dollartree.com/department/food-candy-drinks

-One could find an apartment in that price & location range immediately online. Here is an example, I simply typed in Columbus, Ohio. Note, Columbus, Ohio is home to Ohio State University, which is $10,000 per year, and could also be attended on a $10/hr wage as described here and elsewhere. ==> https://www.forrent.com/find/OH/metro-Columbus/Columbus/price-700+1000

-Miscellaneous items including clothes, washer+dryer, etc. Walmart, Macy's, Outlets, Amazon, etc. etc. have plenty of nice, low priced/discounted clothes. Washer and dryer, say $20 a month. Library is free, which provides all necessary books, audiobooks, movies, newspaper, magazines, video games, etc. etc. Also, used book stores have all such items for extremely cheap as well, say $2-3 per used book/video/game. Here is one such branch ==> https://www.betterworldbooks.com/
2 things your list does not include that jumps out at me
1. Transportation
2. Medical

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Does this manual identify the cities and towns which include these apartments for $750?

OM

I lived the tuna and ramen noodle life when I was in college. I knew it was temporary - otherwise it would have been damn depressing.

1. Transportation
2. Medical

Yep, both requiring insurance.

OM

Does this manual identify the cities and towns which include these apartments for $750?

OM

Then you get a spare room instead. The master if you can swing it.:mrgreen:

Endnotes on bills:

Good luck walking everywhere.

Then you get a spare room instead. The master if you can swing it.:mrgreen:

Yep, nothing screams "American Dream" like walking to somebody else's house after work, cooking ramen in their kitchen, and slinking off to a 9x13 room which isn't your own. :)

OM

OM

:shrug: So find a roommate. You can do even better than that if you pool resources.

lol.. Can't get an apartment in NY for $750 even if it was on fire.

Fascinating seeing the hatred Conservatives have for the working man and capitalism.

Slip on ice and break your leg? That'll be six months' income please.

Over 100 years Henry Ford knew how capitalism worked. You have to pay the people doing the service jobs, doing the menial jobs enough so capitalism can thrive. He paid his people on the assembly line very well so they could then go out and buy his cars.. That made him a very rich man, and capitalism THRIVED!!

It's too bad the modern day Conservatives are so stupid and ignorant when it comes to economics and capitalism. Everyday and every way they crap all over the working man.

lol.. Can't get an apartment in NY for $750 even if it was on fire.

Fascinating seeing the hatred Conservatives have for the working man and capitalism.

What? You mean the great Democratic government of NY hasn't produced sufficient affordable housing? Say it ain't so!

Over 100 years Henry Ford knew how capitalism worked. You have to pay the people doing the service jobs, doing the menial jobs enough so capitalism can thrive. He paid his people on the assembly line very well so they could then go out and buy his cars.. That made him a very rich man, and capitalism THRIVED!!

It's too bad the modern day Conservatives are so stupid and ignorant when it comes to economics and capitalism. Everyday and every way they crap all over the working man.

You've GOT to be kidding holding out Henry Ford as the champion of working people. :lamo

:shrug: So find a roommate. You can do even better than that if you pool resources.

I myself don't need this manual, but am asking on account of I suspect not too many large metropolitan areas still have $750 apartments (last I checked).

OM

What? You mean the great Democratic government of NY hasn't produced sufficient affordable housing? Say it ain't so!

Like you wanna talk about each and every right wing hellscape that comically fails to do anything right wingers think the "free market" will just up and magically take care of? In this thread? That's what you wanna do?

OM

When I moved to NYC 22 years ago I found an apartment in a in kinda crappy neighborhood for $850

The government suppose to 'produce housing'??

You are another phony conservative who hasn't a clue about economics, and true conservatism. This site is loaded with them..

1. Transportation
2. Medical

Not to mention: Gas/heat, water, trash (all of which may or may not be included in rent); furnishings (presumably you’ll want something to sit on, sleep on, dishes to eat off of, etc); student loan debt service (presumably this person will want to better him/herself with an education as to not have to work $10/hr jobs forever).

I suggest that the OP should go ahead and live his suggested lifestyle for a couple years and then report back.

I myself don't need this manual, but am asking on account of I suspect not too many large metropolitan areas still have $750 apartments (last I checked).

. . . so get a roommate, or more than one, and you (hypothetical you, not you) can find something where your share would be less than $750. Not to mention saving by splitting utilities and Internet.

When I moved to NYC 22 years ago I found an apartment in a in kinda crappy neighborhood for $850

And there are plenty of U.S. cities where 1 bedroom apartments can be found for under $750; but so too the wages are lower. 10 buck an hour job in Denver isn't going to pay the same in Oklahoma City.

OM

. . . so get a roommate, or more than one, and you (hypothetical you, not you) can find something where your share would be less than $750. Not to mention saving by splitting utilities and Internet.

Each bedroom costs more money; exponentially.

OM

Back
Top Bottom