• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How to Save Baseball

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Not saying this stands a chance of happening, but if it did, baseball would become popular again.

Shorten the season. Rather than start in April and end in October, schedule the World Series around Labor Day weekend, a week before the NFL gets rolling. It would me must see TV.

Start the Season closer to June. No one wants to see baseballs and snow flying together. Memorial Day would be an ideal starting date.

Play two separate half-seasons, one in June and the other in July, to determine playoff teams. Make the playoffs an all of August thing, leading to that WS on Labor Day Weekend

For real. Baseball can't compete with basketball and hockey playoffs. So, why try? Also, baseball cannot even get attention once the NFL kicks off. So, avoid competing with it at all costs.

No one gives a crap about baseball now. So, what have they to lose?

Not saying this stands a chance of happening, but if it did, baseball would become popular again.

Shorten the season. Rather than start in April and end in October, schedule the World Series around Labor Day weekend, a week before the NFL gets rolling. It would me must see TV.

Start the Season closer to June. No one wants to see baseballs and snow flying together. Memorial Day would be an ideal starting date.

Play two separate half-seasons, one in June and the other in July, to determine playoff teams. Make the playoffs an all of August thing, leading to that WS on Labor Day Weekend

For real. Baseball can't compete with basketball and hockey playoffs. So, why try? Also, baseball cannot even get attention once the NFL kicks off. So, avoid competing with it at all costs.

Some interesting ideas but stand no chance of being implemented because the players would not take any cut in salary while playing the shortened schedules.

I still follow MLB. Unfortunately, they'll probably either be on strike or locked out in 2022.

I agree, my problem with baseball is that they play so many games that, for most of the season, nobody cares if they win or lose any particular game.....they are all standing around with this "whatever" kind of attitude because win or lose there over a hundred other games, so the results of this one don't really matter......boring as hell to watch.

I made a living off professional athletics and frankly I don't care if it folds right now. It's become nothing but a forum for political division and it's ruining the fun in the games. What was once a uniting force among all differing opinions now is a stage for promoting division and animosity.

I agree, my problem with baseball is that they play so many games that, for most of the season, nobody cares if they win or lose any particular game.....they are all standing around with this "whatever" kind of attitude because win or lose there over a hundred other games, so the results of this one don't really matter......boring as hell to watch.
I have similar issues with basketball. The first 75 points don't mean a damn thing and are just a waste of time. Play the last 5 minutes and get it over with.

Tickets are overpriced. Taking your family to any professional game in any major sport is like taking a vacation in costs. Have to pay too many exorbitant salaries.

Tickets are overpriced. Taking your family to any professional game in any major sport is like taking a vacation in costs. Have to pay too many exorbitant salaries.
On top of that, all the best seats are season tickets or reserved for corporate sponsors. Good like with playoff tickets.

I liked to go watch the Yankees play 1 pm games on weekdays. Could usually score decent seats for those if you bought them a month ahead. Plus baseball in the summer sunshine is great.

There's nothing wrong with baseball that it needs to be saved. If its less popular than football or basketball, so be it. I do agree though on the season length. We shouldn't have games in November.

Baseball needs saving??

I know its waning in popularity at the lower levels, high school, college, etc. - and imho that's because of one thing - aluminum bats. :) OMG what a horrid sound they make.

It just takes to many hours out of the day to watch a baseball game. Might as well be cricket where games go for days. People keep going home then coming back.

Every team should be in the playoffs.It's bad for the team's self esteem otherwise.

It just takes to many hours out of the day to watch a baseball game. Might as well be cricket where games go for days. People keep going home then coming back.
Maybe we should get rid of pitchers and go back to Tee-Ball. It'd sure make the game go faster.

Play more afternoon games..

Start post season games an hour or 2 earlier. Games ending at 1am on the East Coast are ridiculous..

Stop allowing the big market teams to retool their teams in July by picking up players from small markets. If the Dodgers or Yankees or Mets are having a bad 1st half, too bad... No other sport allows that..

Shorten the season.

Maybe we should get rid of pitchers and go back to Tee-Ball. It'd sure make the game go faster.
That’s another gripe I have. I used to be a huge Dodgers fan in the day. I’d get a woody every time I walked into Chavez Ravine. There’s just something out that place……..

Oh the gripe? Quit stepping out of the batters box after every pitch to adjust the glove, tap the cleats and tuck the cup. Then settle the batting helmet down as you step into the box.

Hurry up every chance you get slugger

I'd eliminate a human calling balls and strikes. Think back to the strike zone you drew on the wall when you were a kid. A rectangle standing on the short side. Does any umpire call that zone today? Try that launch angle shite on a high strike. I have to admit though, I'm starting to love the ghost runner on 2nd for extra innings and the 3 hitter minimum for relief pitchers.

That’s another gripe I have. I used to be a huge Dodgers fan in the day. I’d get a woody every time I walked into Chavez Ravine. There’s just something out that place……..

Oh the gripe? Quit stepping out of the batters box after every pitch to adjust the glove, tap the cleats and tuck the cup. The settle the batting helmet down as you step into the box.

OMG yes!

And here's something that absolutely irritates me no end - especially in the little leagues - the batter shifting their feet in the batter's box while holding out their right arm/hand to the umpire as if telling them they must wait. Unbelievably rude.

Oh the gripe? Quit stepping out of the batters box after every pitch to adjust the glove, tap the cleats and tuck the cup. Then settle the batting helmet down as you step into the box.

Excellent point. They want to speed up the game? But not just the batters, pitchers too. Some pitchers fart around on the mound too much.. Put in a 15 second clock. Soon as the catcher catches the previous pitch, start the clock..

Baseball's biggest problem is it is SLOW. There's no way to fix that short of reinventing the whole game.

I’m becoming more open minded to these new ideas. Baseball needs help. Some dude has me second guessing the usefulness of graveyards too

I digress.

Excellent point. They want to speed up the game? But not just the batters, pitchers too. Some pitchers fart around on the mound too much.. Put in a 15 second clock. Soon as the catcher catches the previous pitch, start the clock..
Yep. Start calling balks again for no reason lol….

This thread makes me want to read a boxscore

I don't mind 2 1/2 hours on a sunny day in Yankee Stadium. It's relaxing.

According to Baseball-Reference, as of 6-6-2021, the average time it takes to complete a baseball game is three hours and eight minutes.

That's too long

Back
Top Bottom