• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How to ruin your sports broadcasting career in less than five minutes.

LaMidRighter

Klattu Verata Nicto
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
So, I am a New Orleans Saints fan, have been since a very early age, and being such I hate the Atlanta Falcons as a bitter lifelong rival, this is the setup to my point.

So, we had an incident yesterday involving a couple of Atlanta radio sports shock jocks regarding the ALS fight from former Saints player Steve Gleason, the "bit" involved an "interview" with "Gleason" using the type-talk device that a person afflicted with the disease would use and basically has references to "I wish I could still play" and "smother me" while this man is fighting for his life due to his horrible disease. As much as I detest the Atlanta Falcons(natural rivalry) this sorry excuse for a joke was so bad that the Falcons organization and fan base made it a point to show that they were absolutely appalled by it. The three idiots involved were fired from their positions as was only proper, and they offered the worst apology of all time on Twitter "We made a bad joke that backfired".

A couple of things come to mind. While I will never wish for the best for the Falcons, I do give the fans and organization mad props for standing against that attack. There is never a reason to kick a person suffering from ALS when they are down, it is among the worst diseases a person can suffer and worse than kicking them while they are down, you are literally making fun of a life and death situation. And finally, these idiots deserved to be fired.

When will people trying to be funny learn: You don’t punch down.

When will people trying to be funny learn: You don’t punch down.
Exactly. Character flaws are okay to an extent, certain things can be made sport of, but there is a definite line, when someone is fighting for their life you don't hit 'em.

It was a horrible bit. I was very annoyed that local (Seattle) news radio played and replayed the cut. Gleason played for WSU and is a native of WA state so it made the rounds of all the local talk stations who only used it as sensational ****.

It was a horrible bit. I was very annoyed that local (Seattle) news radio played and replayed the cut. Gleason played for WSU and is a native of WA state so it made the rounds of all the local talk stations who only used it as sensational ****.
I couldn't finish listening to it, made me want to vomit.

Now don't get me wrong.. but it's a horrible stab at comedy that went wrong. Taking **** personally or letting get to you shows a lack of humor or support for one's right to say it.

I personally didn't find it funny.. but if they wanted to go there then have every right to do it.

Now don't get me wrong.. but it's a horrible stab at comedy that went wrong. Taking **** personally or letting get to you shows a lack of humor or support for one's right to say it.

I personally didn't find it funny.. but if they wanted to go there then have every right to do it.

And they had the equal right to be fired...

Back
Top Bottom