• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"How to Lose Friends and Influence No One" by Donald Trump

If Trump had the People behind him, he would have won the popular vote and would have positive poll numbers. He caters to a homogeneous & monolithic minority, and that's why he (& we) have problems.

Get serious here, for Chrissake.

When one is leading a Rebellion have more than a third of the people solidly behind you is a very good showing. Trump has the rallies to thank for this, which was Pure Trump....He was purposefully building a relationship with us that the Elite have been unable to break after two years of frantic trying, and this is with them control almost all of the media. The fact that you dont know that I am serious and that I am right I say is almost certainly due to your failure to understand.

Last edited:
I am fully aware that those momentary "likes" are mostly from "strange bedfellows" of the left, and as such are only appreciative of the negative views of Trump. However, I am not responsible for who likes or dislikes my views - that is up to them.

Anyway, the post was specifically addressed to those on the right, my usual peers. I am sure most of the grassroots right are behind Trump, and I am equally sure that like me a good portion of them were never entirely happy with Trump's managerial, policy, and personality negatives. For those who are not burned out on the man, good for you, however I am.

As I have stated previously, I'm not supportive of impeachment this late in his term nor am going to dissuade anyone from voting for him in the next general election - the choices of 2020 will most assuredly be between Trump or someone worse. But that also does not mean that I need participate in a political system that no longer represents me - one reason I quit the party more than two years ago.

So yes, I'm burned out on Donald. I will always support some or many of the objectives of his administration, but I still believe it would be the best for the Republic if he woke up one morning and decided to resign - should there be a God, let us hope for divine intervention.
I hated the guy for years.

But our base attending his rallies with crowds in the tens of thousands, voting for him in the primaries in such numbers got me to rethink, to give him a listen. He was talking things that truly needed done, but not the way politicians usually talk, without the handlers, the ones who are hired to disingenously spray paint out all the imperfections in form and substance so we end up with a bland swill.

The Don? Not the same old same old. The PC world was becoming just too much, overwhelming us in an underwhelming way, our heritage and values assualted from every direction, something we seemingly could do nothing about... nobody had the guts to take it straight on, the systems hooks were in too deep for many of us, those with jobs. Those without had no real say except at elections. Both sides were superficially different, but really just pretty much the same do nothings.

Trump had the guts to say what we all saw as being not only wrong, but desperately wrong.

We needed someone, didn't have to be [seeing as its impossible] perfect, to come in and clean out all the rotten termite ridden old dead wood, eliminate those termites and get us back more on our founding course.

Nobody has come close to doing what Trump has already. But if you don't like him, tell me who would have gotten elected and done better? Right now we would probably be in a world war with Russia had the fat lady won... that would make the world so much safer, right?

Do what you want, but we had, still have, very little alternative, certainly no better ones at this point.

Myself, I ignore him talking mostly as he is not a great speech giver, his tweets are meant to disrupt the bad motive folk so they are not meant for me...I look at what he has accomplished and its undeniable. Better economy, ISIS no longer an imminent threat, jobs for all, getting us out of the a very screwed up ME, our NATO partners put on notice as they should have been from way back, both China and Russia put on notice we aren't taking what they are dishing any longer, NK considerably more docile and less threatening than before, we have a renewed focus on a problem, illegal immigration that had been left to fester, get infected and threaten our whole way of life...

Vote for the fat lady next time if she runs, that will fix it all. I am really tired of trying to convince folk... and if you want to hasten our decline, to which you do not seem particularly adverse, vote for her next time.

Sounds like it, in theory, would make you a lot happier.

Donald Trump is likely reaching a crisis point in his Presidency, at least half of which is of his own making. For those of us on the right that have held our judgement and found Trump to be tolerable, or at least better than some of us feared, it has been a chaotic and often frustrating two years. After the latest shocking news of the Syrian pullout and abandonment of the Kurds, aren't we all burned out on Trump?

I know I am.

Trump has not grown into the job, is repeatedly impulsive, burns through employees, and his ego so in need of feeding that his decision making is chaotic, personal,feckless, and poorly executed. He doesn't have a coherent or integrated view of politics, at least none that is shared by other politicians, experts, party leaders, or ideological wings. Hence, he has managed at one time or another alienate his allies, anger his supporters, and infuriate his enemies...and accomplish nothing.

And in the process, he can't find any experts or policy employees that reflect his unique (and often ignorant) set of morphable personal views - hence, they leave. Combine that with a personality that lurches between bristling at being confined by experts and one that returns to knee-jerk actions when facing frustration and we see the result.

Although the Republican party is now hostage to Trump and tens of millions of populist loyalists, no one should lie to themselves - he's a four alarm disaster.

Tariffs, Russia, FBI relations, Session, Obamacare, border security, Turkey, the budget, the Saudi murder of K, and many other issues have been poorly handled and his tactics have alienated friends and foes alike. His needless inflammatory rhetoric and personae has managed to fuel a resistance so great that it has turned our courts into our masters and members of "the resistance".

After his surprise retreat in Syria, anticipated abandonment of Afghanistan, and removal of a major sanction on a Putin crony, Trump is returning to his neo-isolationist and pro-Russian instincts. Here, and in his relations with North Korea, he has been far from "clear-eyed about malign actors and strategic competitors" (Mattis letter of resignation).

Let's face it, when a President can't find agreement with his staff, be they a Steve Bannon, or Republican operatives, or the replacement with generals, or credible economists, or his own Attorney General - then there is something wrong with the President, not them.

You'd think the majority on the right would be burned out - aren't you?

Well said!

Trumps approval rating has been rock solid, and is more likely to go up than down in the near future now that he is finally asserting himself.

You said "rock solid"?

PRESIDENT INAUGURATION YEAR APPROVE DISAPPROVE NET APPROVAL
John Kennedy 1961 79% 10% +69
George W. Bush 2001 81 13 +68
George H.W. Bush 1989 78 11 +67
Lyndon Johnson 1963 74 15 +59
Dwight Eisenhower 1953 71 18 +53
Richard Nixon 1969 60 23 +38
Jimmy Carter 1977 55 27 +28
Bill Clinton 1993 57 34 +22
Harry Truman 1945 50 35 +15
Ronald Reagan 1981 49 40 +9
Barack Obama 2009 50 43 +7
Gerald Ford 1974 44 39 +5
Donald Trump 2017 40 55 -15
Average without Trump 62 26 +37
All numbers rounded.

Trump’s approval rating is 22 percentage points lower than the average modern president’s. Meanwhile, his net approval rating (approval rating minus disapproval rating), -15 percentage points, makes him the only president in negative territory one year through his first term. Trump’s closest precedent is Gerald Ford, who had a net approval rating of just +5 points one year in.

Back
Top Bottom