• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How To Hurt NPR 101

Ajay

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I am a liberal, and I am canceling my subscription/pledge to a local public radio station. I know it's not fair, but hey -- life isn't.

KPCC will pay the price for carrying NPR.

NPR has some great content. But this bs has got to stop. Fire management.

-----------

I posted in another thread, but think ways and suggestions to send a message to NPR and their supporters is in order. I don't always agree with Juan. Especially his mamby pamby religious views, but he's a good guy and what he said was not malicious.

NPR's case against Juan is malicious and right wing or left wing pc-ism has no place in my life.

I'm going back to sending emails and calling KPCC so they get the message that NPR is hurting all public radio, but more importantly, people need to speak out against this sort of crap.

I'm going back to sending emails and calling KPCC so they get the message that NPR is hurting all public radio, but more importantly, people need to speak out against this sort of crap.

What are you talking about? Conservatives have been speaking out against politically correctness for years. It's one of the reasons why you call us racists. If you want to hurt NPR you should listen to conservative radio and forget about them.

Politics makes for interesting bedfellows:
FoxNews.com said:
Williams Firing Sparks Calls to Defund National Public Radio
Published October 21, 2010 | FoxNews.com

"I think the U.S. Congress should investigate NPR and consider cutting off their money," said Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who is also a Fox News contributor

Gingrich called the firing "an act of total censorship."

"I think the whole idea that if you honestly say how you feel about Islam -- what he said was very balanced, people should read what he actually said -- the idea that that's the excuse for National Public Radio to censor Juan Williams is an outrage and every listeners of NPR should be enraged that there's this kind of bias against an American," Gingrich said.

[...]
There's people from all over the spectrum jumping all over NPR. About the only person who isn't is the spokeshole for CAIR.

Better yet, realize no one cares about your overreaction to whatever it is you don't like about NPR now. And neither does KPCC

What are you talking about? Conservatives have been speaking out against politically correctness for years. It's one of the reasons why you call us racists. If you want to hurt NPR you should listen to conservative radio and forget about them.

There is conservative pc crap too. Leftists and right wingers both engage in this crap. NPR has great programing. They also have strong conservatve voices on their programs. It is teh management at NPR that is an issue.

Please keep up with the facts.

Or better yet, you could give all secondary sources and pundits the finger and make up your own mind.

I kinda like that solution best, m'self. :shrug:

It is possible for people with good minds to listen to pundits and secondary sources and still make up their own minds. Why you suppose listening to pundits and secondary sources would dictate my thoughts, says more about you than me.

Politics makes for interesting bedfellows:There's people from all over the spectrum jumping all over NPR. About the only person who isn't is the spokeshole for CAIR.

Lots of people are sticking up for NPR and saying they shouldn't have fired Juan. It is possible to see the issue as NOT black and white. It is obviously, when right wing feigned outrage out of the picture, a situation of management gone wild. When right wingers or left wingers get into management they do stupid things.

Better yet, realize no one cares about your overreaction to whatever it is you don't like about NPR now. And neither does KPCC

Stop being insulting and attacking me personally. KPCC and NPR both want my money.

Last edited:
They also have strong conservatve voices on their programs.

Such as? P.J. O'Rourke and Roy Blunt in Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me?

Such as? P.J. O'Rourke and Roy Blunt in Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me?

While "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" may qualify as news to you, where I come from it's viewed as an entertainment show.

While "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" may qualify as news to you, where I come from it's viewed as an entertainment show.

It was obviously sarcasm, and dude, that was the point.

Answer the question.

It is possible for people with good minds to listen to pundits and secondary sources and still make up their own minds. Why you suppose listening to pundits and secondary sources would dictate my thoughts, says more about you than me.
Not really, but keep thinking that way if it makes you happy.

Lots of people are sticking up for NPR and saying they shouldn't have fired Juan. It is possible to see the issue as NOT black and white. It is obviously, when right wing feigned outrage out of the picture, a situation of management gone wild. When right wingers or left wingers get into management they do stupid things.
For the Republicans this is simply an opportunity worth exploiting in order to do what they've been wanting to do for some time.

Whatever works, I guess. :shrug:

Even with their ****-up with firing Juan Williams. They are still the most superior source of news in the mainstream media, given that they actually flesh out stories beyond what network news is willing to do. :shrug:

Even with their ****-up with firing Juan Williams. They are still the most superior source of news in the mainstream media, given that they actually flesh out stories beyond what network news is willing to do. :shrug:

I don't know. When their "journalists" in the past have wished aids on people and their grandchildren - I can't see them as a superior source of news. If anything, this latest misstep will not help their listenership. Between the Juan Williams black eye and now the buy-off / paid interest by Soro's uber leftist Media Matters of $1.8 million in funding, I don't see how NPR benefits in teh short run or long run.

well, be that army of one

personally, i am delighted that juan williams has been exposed

the token uncle tom "liberal" on faux news. the one who is without the ability to fashion a substantive argument. his very presence (and ineptitude) allows the reich wingers on that show a degree of credibility they would not enjoy but for his ineffective political softballs that are offered up for the others to hit out of the park

Politics makes for interesting bedfellows:There's people from all over the spectrum jumping all over NPR. About the only person who isn't is the spokeshole for CAIR.

There was just a Muslim doctor on TV (forget his name), saying we need more dialog about what was Juan was talking about. He totally disagreed with CAIR.

That's ridiculous. There was an overreaction alright. It was NPR who overreacted and to say NPR or KPCC won't care, is ridiculous too. If that was the case, why would any of us ever protest or boycott anything. Why even bother to vent on the internet?
Here's something conservatives and liberals can come together on. I didn't realize defending free speech was partison.

Free speech doesn't keep you from getting fired. So having a picket line outside of where you used to work would be really foolish.

Regards from Rosie

I'm sorry...you think right wingers are "feigning" anger?
I strongly disagree, if that's your thinking. It's maybe 90% about free speech and 10% because lots of conservatives genuinly like Juan Williams.
I remember a poll on here asking for someone you liked, respected but disagreed with. Juan's name was mentioned more than once.
No matter who the person is, when an injustice is done to him, everyone should speak out.

Free speech doesn't keep you from getting fired. So having a picket line outside of where you used to work would be really foolish.

Regards from Rosie

Would you like to explain exactly what Williams said that was so wrong? Feeling nervous about something and being a bigot are two different things.
There's a poll here that show's many of us feel the same way.
There's a Fox poll of over 7000 voters and only 1% says they never feel nervous. Seems Juan Williams was just expressing an honest feeling that many of us have.
If anyone bothered to watch the whole interaction between O'Reilly and Juan, they would see that Juan was everything but bigoted toward Muslims. He was sticking up for them.

There is conservative pc crap too. Leftists and right wingers both engage in this crap. NPR has great programing. They also have strong conservatve voices on their programs. It is teh management at NPR that is an issue.

Please keep up with the facts.

Can you name a few great conservative voices on NPR? I'm wondering who they are...

It's not for me to say. I know enuff not to tell any organization with their own set of professional standards what behavior they will tolerate and what they will not.

I have posted the standards NPR goes by. This wasn't Williams' first violation of them. If he chooses not to follow published professional ethics that anyone can read, he chooses not to have an NPR paycheck.

He chose to leave journalism. What he now does at Faux News isn't journalism:

The Rev. Chuck Currie: Juan Williams Long Ago Abandoned Journalistic Ethics; NPR Had Cause To Fire Him

Regards from Rosie

Back
Top Bottom