• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How to fix our broken government II

In my last bog, I discussed the repealing of the 17th amendment. This time, I want to focus on something I think is far more realistic (even though it will never happen), taxes.

There are those who will say our taxes are too high. There are those who will say our taxes are too low (at least for those "evil rich bastards" anyway). Me? Well, I say both actually. Let me explain...

There is no argument that the wealthiest of Americans pay far more in taxes than the rest of us. The top 5% of earners pay roughly 60% of all taxes collected under the current tax rates. The top 25% of earners pay roughly 86% of all taxes collected under the current tax rates. And the top 50% of earners pay roughly 97% of all taxes collected under the current tax rates. (Source - National Taxpayers Union - Who Pays Income Taxes?)

Full disclosure, I used to be in the top 25%. Now, I barely fall into the top 50%. I was laid off a great paying job 5 years ago and I have settled for making considerably less money. I've had to change my lifestyle and I have accepted that I can't live and spend like I used to (our federal [and state] government should take note). But why do I bring this up? Because our federal government can't afford to borrow and spend as they have been doing, and for quite some time I might add. Continuing with the "borrow and spend" mentality leads to one place and one place only - bankruptcy. So why is there a cry to raise taxes on the "evil rich bastards", you know - the ones who own businesses and actually create jobs (so many of our liberal bureaucrats and our President haven't figured out that the government doesn't create jobs in the private sector). Why on earth would anyone in their right mind want to further harm the economy? Is it because they are too stupid to figure this out or is that they actually want to destroy the economy? I think it's a little bit of both, but moving on...

Back
Top Bottom