• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How to Cook Asparagus

Love might be a stretch, but I certainly like asparagus. I recommend either oven baked with an olive oil drizzle (make the tops crispy) or lightly boiled and eaten with mayonnaise.

Your link comes-up for me as an article on Connecticut homes.

Love might be a stretch, but I certainly like asparagus. I recommend either oven baked with an olive oil drizzle (make the tops crispy) or lightly boiled and eaten with mayonnaise.
Olive oil, salt, pepper, then on the grill - either wrapped as a bunch in tin foil for the little guys, or right on the grill as individual spears if they're big enough to get a little char. Careful, they go extremely fast in the latter instance!

Then there's the thick spears wrapped in bacon I've had once or twice at parties, but never tried making myself ...

Then there's the thick spears wrapped in bacon I've had once or twice at parties, but never tried making myself ...

I was going to suggest that.
I also liked steamed with butter but lets face it bacon makes everything ebtter.

Last edited:

Wrapped in bacon

0461-530x353.jpg

We love asparagus at the Vesper household. I fix it two different ways.

I steam it in a microwave steamer for about 5 minutes then toss it into a skillet with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and some lemon zest for couple of minutes.
The other way is on the gas grill or in the oven. Sprinkle some olive oil, salt and fresh cracked pepper onto the asparagus and toss. Place onto the grill or under the broiler for a couple of minutes. Turn for a couple more minutes. Done and it rocks. Easy breezy.

Love asparagus.

I cook it either:

Steamed but still crispy, and then served with an olive oil and drawn butter drizzle, or a home made Hollandaise Sauce...

Or, salted and peppered after olive oil is brushed on them, then put on the grill until you get just a little char...

Or lastly, in a sparing peanut oil stir fry with Bok Choy, snow peas, sesame seeds, and whatever other vegies we have fresh in the fridge.

I love asparagus. I hope I don't offend purists, but I grew up eating it out of the can and like this too. :3oops:

Olive oil, salt, pepper, then on the grill - either wrapped as a bunch in tin foil for the little guys, or right on the grill as individual spears if they're big enough to get a little char. Careful, they go extremely fast in the latter instance!

I did asparagus and other vegetables on gas barbecue grill for the fourth with neighbors. The two most sought out of the plate of vegetables were the asparagus and mushrooms.

Olive oil , salt and pepper were the right seasoning.

The interesting thing about asparagus is the odor your urine has afterwards. The asparagus's sulfurous amino acids break down during digestion causing the odor. What I just learned is that about 1/4 of the population have the special gene that allows them to smell those compounds. ( Yes, I have that special gene)

I did asparagus and other vegetables on gas barbecue grill for the fourth with neighbors. The two most sought out of the plate of vegetables were the asparagus and mushrooms.

Olive oil , salt and pepper were the right seasoning.

The interesting thing about asparagus is the odor your urine has afterwards. The asparagus's sulfurous amino acids break down during digestion causing the odor. What I just learned is that about 1/4 of the population have the special gene that allows them to smell those compounds. ( Yes, I have that special gene)
Yep - simply olive oil, salt, and pepper seems to suffice. My wife also puts lemon wedges (for drizzling) on the table.

They're a great accompaniment to a nicely aged medium-rare steak! Add a glass of your favorite red, and you're set!

Yum, lemon. Yes. Also from-scratch Hollandaise sauce. Not my particular thing, but I get it.

What is temporarily not cool: You just so happen to have a bunch of asparagus AND a bunch of beets in the mid/late evening. You go to sleep. You wake up, very groggy, to relieve yourself in the middle of the night and for a few moments, you're thinking "holy ****, I need to get to a hospital".

Anyway, sauteed so that it's not quite fully cooked - still crispy. That's how I want my asparagus.

Didn't like it much as a kid, but that's because my mother steamed it AND overcooked it every time.

Love it, fresh and steamed with mayo (gotta have the mayo with it). Unfortunately for me it's a migraine trigger.

Love asparagus. Even the white variety that Germans love so dearly.

People who don't like asparagus are really missing out.

What is temporarily not cool: You just so happen to have a bunch of asparagus AND a bunch of beets in the mid/late evening. You go to sleep. You wake up, very groggy, to relieve yourself in the middle of the night and for a few moments, you're thinking "holy ****, I need to get to a hospital".
Probably TMI, but funny as hell! :lamo

Back
Top Bottom