• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How The Republican Governor Of Utah Just Shamed His Entire Party

RIP U.S. Democracy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
To the shock of most people in Utah, Governor Spencer Cox just vetoed a bill that would have stopped transgender children from playing school sports.

Cox wrote a letter explaining his decision, noting that there are just four trans kids playing school sports in the entire state of Utah, and only one is a trans girl.

Cox compares that to the 86 percent of trans youths reporting suicidality and the 56 percent who say they’ve attempted suicide, according to one study (other studies show similar results).

He also wrote the following in his letter. --

Four kids and only one of them playing girls sports. That’s what all of this is about. Four kids who aren’t dominating or winning trophies or taking scholarships. Four kids who are just trying to find some friends and feel like they are a part of something. Four kids trying to get through each day. Rarely has so much fear and anger been directed at so few. I don’t understand what they are going through or why they feel the way they do. But I want them to live.

I admire no one in the Republican Party. However, if I were to admire a Republican, it would be Spencer Cox.

Well done, Sir. Your stand on this issue took a lot of moral courage in your insanely crazy GOP state.

Yes...Utah just passed a bill that affects.....exactly 4 people.

A cruel bill that even a Republican governor couldn't tolerate.
Republicans specialize in fixing things that aren't broken.

To the shock of most people in Utah, Governor Spencer Cox just vetoed a bill that would have stopped transgender children from playing school sports.

Cox wrote a letter explaining his decision, noting that there are just four trans kids playing school sports in the entire state of Utah, and only one is a trans girl.

Cox compares that to the 86 percent of trans youths reporting suicidality and the 56 percent who say they’ve attempted suicide, according to one study (other studies show similar results).

I admire no one in the Republican Party. However, if I were to admire a Republican, it would be Spencer Cox.

Well done, Sir. Your stand on this issue took a lot of moral courage in your insanely crazy GOP state.
Governor Cox deserves to be lauded.

His party affiliation is irrelevant.

Unless he condemns the evilness and moral rot in his party, it does matter. Unfortunately.

Even Republicans who are performing good deeds, like Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger on the Jan 6 Committee, still won't stand up for voting rights. That is unforgiveable.

Hes wrong.

Is anyone asking what the athletes think? It is their decision. This partisan grandstanding, whatever side we are on, has to stop. Pandering for votes is what is amounts to.

So glad I can identify as a man in Utah and I don't have to worry about running into some kind of sexoid beast in my locker room.

Is anyone asking what the athletes think? It is their decision. This partisan grandstanding, whatever side we are on, has to stop. Pandering for votes is what is amounts to.
16 teammates on lia thomas"s team all signed a letter saying she should not compete

No its not. He has risked the rest of his political career because he handed republicans some real ammunition in republican primaries. Its not the same, if he were a Democrat or independent with a veto pen.

16 teammates on lia thomas"s team all signed a letter saying she should not compete

That's a different situation than young transgender kids just trying to make friends in school and participate in sports.

As Governor Cox said, these kids aren't competing for trophies.

That's a different situation than young transgender kids just trying to make friends in school and participate in sports.

As Governor Cox said, these kids aren't competing for trophies.
It applies to high school sports. That is where you compete for scholarships

That is massive competition

The whack-jobs overrode the veto later.

They were right to over ride it

That's pretty cold, man. Transgender kids and gay kids commit suicide in high numbers. I think helping them feel like they belong is more important than a few high school girls missing out on a scholarship.

That's pretty cold, man. Transgender kids and gay kids commit suicide in high numbers. I think helping them feel like they belong is more important than a few high school girls missing out on a scholarship.
I think protecting the civil rights of women is pretty important

Maybe we should just give some kids an unfair advantage is your logic

So for the gay kids do we just give them a head start?

I think protecting the civil rights of women is pretty important

Maybe we should just give some kids an unfair advantage is your logic

So for the gay kids do we just give them a head start?
Women's civil rights are not being violated. Women are free to compete with the transgender kids. And 99% of these transgender kids will probably never even have a shot at a scholarship.

Life isn't always fair. It certainly isn't fair for these transgender kids just trying to find happiness and a sense of belonging in a society that is hostile to them.

Do you also want to get rid of affirmative action? Sometimes smart white kids lose scholarships to smart minority kids. Those are the choices that we make as a society.

No its not. He has risked the rest of his political career because he handed republicans some real ammunition in republican primaries. Its not the same, if he were a Democrat or independent with a veto pen.
Governor Cox has held statewide office in Utah since 2013, and was sworn into office as Governor last January. He is a well known commodity and enjoys high approval ratings.

That he did the right thing should surprise no one that knows him.

As for HB11, it isn’t as popular as you might think, and the veto override didn’t come easy.

Back
Top Bottom