• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How the GOP could cut ties with Donald Trump

themoviefinder

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
There's renewed talk in some Republican circles to find a way out as Trump lags big time behind Hillary Clinton in several new polls, and he has the highest unfavorable rating of any candidate for a major party on record -- 70% in this week's Washington Post-ABC poll.
One source with knowledge of these discussions underscores to CNN, however, that all of the ideas being bandied about now are highly unlikely to see fruition -- mostly because this kind of move to get rid of a nominee elected by GOP primary and caucus voters would be unprecedented. And a second source says he has spoken directly to senior GOP operatives with extensive convention experience who are actively exploring how to dump Trump.

How GOP could cut ties with Donald Trump - CNNPolitics.com

There's renewed talk in some Republican circles to find a way out as Trump lags big time behind Hillary Clinton in several new polls, and he has the highest unfavorable rating of any candidate for a major party on record -- 70% in this week's Washington Post-ABC poll.
One source with knowledge of these discussions underscores to CNN, however, that all of the ideas being bandied about now are highly unlikely to see fruition -- mostly because this kind of move to get rid of a nominee elected by GOP primary and caucus voters would be unprecedented. And a second source says he has spoken directly to senior GOP operatives with extensive convention experience who are actively exploring how to dump Trump.

And one dumb ass Senator said yesterday that he was voting for Hillary.

Political suicide for the Party. They 'd rather hillary win and wait 4 years....what totally worthless, cowardly, assholes!

They need to cut a deal with Trump for him to step back.

Political suicide for the Party. They 'd rather hillary win and wait 4 years....what totally worthless, cowardly, assholes!
I agree.

This is an example of the Party elites putting themselves above the expressed wishes of the rank & file voters! And those wishes were expressed in the most solemn & hallowed way - through their vote!

What a joke this party's become! :doh

WTF???

You post a link and use ADFLY???!!!

Get the **** out of here you troll!!!

I agree.

This is an example of the Party elites putting themselves above the expressed wishes of the rank & file voters! And those wishes were expressed in the most solemn & hallowed way - through their vote!

What a joke this party's become! :doh

Or, what a joke the media has become in trying to push this meme. The 70% poll mentioned has already been exposed as a bogus bit of manipulated garbage. Sadly not unexpected considering the source.

It will be an interesting final campaign for President. It's remarkable how clearly the elites are demonstrating they don't believe actual voters exist, or have a say in the matter.

Or, what a joke the media has become in trying to push this meme. The 70% poll mentioned has already been exposed as a bogus bit of manipulated garbage. Sadly not unexpected considering the source.

It will be an interesting final campaign for President. It's remarkable how clearly the elites are demonstrating they don't believe actual voters exist, or have a say in the matter.
I typed this before, elsewhere:

"I see this as the triumph of the (GOP) voting class, over the (GOP) donor class!"

The donors (through their establishment minions) threw candidate after candidate against Trump, only to be thoroughly rebuffed by the voters!

The only guy to gain even slight traction against the voters' choice was another anti-establishment 'outsider type' candidate - Ted Cruz.

It can be debated as to whether the voters chose wisely, but I do not think it can be doubted the voters revolted & won! :doh

I typed this before, elsewhere:

"I see this as the triumph of the (GOP) voting class, over the (GOP) donor class!"

The donors (through their establishment minions) threw candidate after candidate against Trump, only to be thoroughly rebuffed by the voters!

The only guy to gain even slight traction against the voters' choice was another anti-establishment 'outsider type' candidate - Ted Cruz.

It can be debated as to whether the voters chose wisely, but I do not think it can be doubted the voters revolted & won! :doh

Trump was seriously aided and abetted by the large field who appears dull, faceless; his bold claims standing out like a beacon to the disgruntled. It did not help that no one took him on in the early rounds, I suspect because there was no one among them who could handle him. So far, the best foil against Trump is Obama who has bested him in every encounter, making him look foolish and petty as a "birther" and again over what to call the enemy.

Trump was seriously aided and abetted by the large field who appears dull, faceless; his bold claims standing out like a beacon to the disgruntled. It did not help that no one took him on in the early rounds, I suspect because there was no one among them who could handle him. So far, the best foil against Trump is Obama who has bested him in every encounter, making him look foolish and petty as a "birther" and again over what to call the enemy.

I'd say it's a matter of opinion whether Obama has bested Trump at all.

From where I sit...not really a fan of Trump but willing to vote for him given the choices...Obama seems to be getting more and more angry at Trump to the point of Obama looking just plain foolish. Case in point: That ridiculous Obama attack at Trump concerning his inability to call a spade a spade...ie, radical Islamic terrorists. Obama didn't do himself...or Hillary...any favors there.

Of course, anybody who is in the tank for the Republican/Democratic Party Elites will certainly have a different opinion.

I'd say it's a matter of opinion whether Obama has bested Trump at all.
bu
From where I sit...not really a fan of Trump but willing to vote for him given the choices...Obama seems to be getting more and more angry at Trump to the point of Obama looking just plain foolish. Case in point: That ridiculous Obama attack at Trump concerning his inability to call a spade a spade...ie, radical Islamic terrorists. Obama didn't do himself...or Hillary...any favors there.

Of course, anybody who is in the tank for the Republican/Democratic Party Elites will certainly have a different opinion.

I'd call that a filter.

I base my judgement based first on what I saw, and what was presented by CBC radio, who had an American and a Canadian political scientist analyze the exchange and review the previews public spat, 'birthergate'. They were both in agreement that Obama had opened "areas of question". Much of the rest of the conversation I cannot recall accurately. That from a panel where no one had a dog in the fight.

The Democrats won't try for the grand slam, they know and see his weaknesses and will erode those areas

The GOP have done well in associating and attacking the President in the mid-terms, but I think president Obama is going to be more effective in this election than some realize. His timing and manner of signalling the end of the Dem Primary was impeccable.

The Madame Sec'y & President are going to steadfastly portray themselves as the calm mature adults in the room, painting Trump as the impetuous immature unworthy child, while Liz Warren et al go for Trump's juggler doing the dirty-work.

I'm still not sure exactly where and how Bernie fits in all this, except to say I hope he keeps and grows his coalition as 'his', and does not turn over his email or donor lists to the the HRC or DNC organizations.

I'd call that a filter.

I base my judgement based first on what I saw, and what was presented by CBC radio, who had an American and a Canadian political scientist analyze the exchange and review the previews public spat, 'birthergate'. They were both in agreement that Obama had opened "areas of question". Much of the rest of the conversation I cannot recall accurately. That from a panel where no one had a dog in the fight.

The Democrats won't try for the grand slam, they know and see his weaknesses and will erode those areas

It's not really a filter when I'm forming an opinion about an action. My opinion, in this case, is formed by Obama's own behavior. Let's face it...he blew up...he was reduced to using angry sarcasm and hyperbole to insist on his point. It's not anyone's fault but his own.

Regarding the birther issue...I'm inclined to disregard it because it's past history. Heck, Obama certainly nipped that in the bud, effectively ending questions...even from his own party members...without actually resolving or answering any of the questions. But it has absolutely no relevance now...except, of course, from those who will raise long-gone issues for their own purposes...quite like my ex-wife used to do. So, if that panel raised that issue, I'd question you contention about whether they had no dog in the fight.

At the end of the day (to steal a phrase), Trump isn't really being damaged by any Democrat. His problem is within his own Party.

Last edited:
The GOP have done well in associating and attacking the President in the mid-terms, but I think president Obama is going to be more effective in this election than some realize. His timing and manner of signalling the end of the Dem Primary was impeccable.

The Madame Sec'y & President are going to steadfastly portray themselves as the calm mature adults in the room, painting Trump as the impetuous immature unworthy child, while Liz Warren et al go for Trump's juggler doing the dirty-work.

I'm still not sure exactly where and how Bernie fits in all this, except to say I hope he keeps and grows his coalition as 'his', and does not turn over his email or donor lists to the the HRC or DNC organizations.

Know first that I have spent seven years attacking Obama on about every issue, save one.

I have also maintained that he has "rock star" charisma and is a genius in exploiting that. He has matured, he hardly ever says "I" anymore where it used to be every 5th word. he has become more "presidential".

When popular leaders are ending their mandate on a high note, they have tremendous power, power the Clintons chose not to yield in 2000. He has the power of Air Force One, the Oval Office and any part of the White House from which to launch well prepared, damaging broadsides.

In the end, his amazing campaign power has only grown as his hair has greyed from the job. Yes, he carries weight. And to all but those who have always disliked him, he will have tremendous influence. The irony is that the GOP has never quite awakened to the very fact of that power. In both instances they threw a weak candidate at him while the public was willing to hand over both houses. They aren't exactly tactical geniuses, where Obama's people are.

The Republicans have already passed the Rubicon. Trump will be their nominee. All they can do is try to save down ballot elections, especially in the Senate.

Interesting how everything changed after Hillary decisively defeated Sanders in New Jersey, California, and Washington D.C. The Democratic Party closed ranks around its presumptive nominee, led by President Obama himself. Sanders has become old news. Meanwhile, the Republican Party has started to disintegrate as Trump doubles down on the crazy. Paul Ryan, the sitting Republican House Speaker, just threatened to sue Trump if he tries to impose the Muslim ban. I doubt that kind of threat has ever happened in US election history--or will ever happen again.

It's not really a filter when I'm forming an opinion about an action. My opinion, in this case, is formed by Obama's own behavior. Let's face it...he blew up...he was reduced to using angry sarcasm and hyperbole to insist on his point. It's not anyone's fault but his own.

Regarding the birther issue...I'm inclined to disregard it because it's past history. Heck, Obama certainly nipped that in the bud, effectively ending questions...even from his own party members...without actually resolving or answering any of the questions. But it has absolutely no relevance now...except, of course, from those who will raise long-gone issues for their own purposes...quite like my ex-wife used to do. So, if that panel raised that issue, I'd question you contention about whether they had no dog in the fight.

At the end of the day (to steal a phrase), Trump isn't really being damaged by any Democrat. His problem is within his own Party.

Sorry, stopped reading there.

I spent 25 years in journalism and 12 years in sales. There is no way you are in any way detached from the outcome of this election. You want Trump to win. That is a filter.

Have a good day

No Conservative could support Trump honestly. He's Anti-Vaccine, Anti-Constitutional Rights for American Citizens, he's a self admitted democrat, he's a gun banner at heart.

Why Right leaning people get behind him is beyond me, no, it makes me damned embarrassed to call myself Conservative.

What evidence do you have that Obama "blew it?" Did the president's poll numbers decline? Did Trump's increase? I see no evidence that Obama's angry remarks hurt him at all. Just the opposite, it forced Trump and his dwindling cadre of spokespeople to spend precious time and energy attacking Obama and not Hillary. Trump's poll numbers didn't rebound. Obama should, and will, do more of the same. He seems to enjoy the freedom of his lame duck status. And that's bad news for Trump.

No Conservative could support Trump honestly. He's Anti-Vaccine, Anti-Constitutional Rights for American Citizens, he's a self admitted democrat, he's a gun banner at heart.

Why Right leaning people get behind him is beyond me, no, it makes me damned embarrassed to call myself Conservative.

Amen, Renae.

Trump's Anti-Vaccine? I never heard of that before.

Trump's Anti-Vaccine? I never heard of that before.

Generally speaking, if it's a stupid conspiracy theory, there's a chance that at least at some point Trump has given it some credence, or given credence to someone who does.

Conservative and Gaugingcatentate are currently insisting that I am a Pro-Hillary Liberal for opposing gun control, raising taxes, and universal health care.

:doh

Generally speaking, if it's a stupid conspiracy theory, there's a chance that at least at some point Trump has given it some credence, or given credence to someone who does.

He's been on Alex Jones' show before, so him accepting anti-vaccine BS wouldn't be too far off base.

He's been on Alex Jones' show before, so him accepting anti-vaccine BS wouldn't be too far off base.

Once you're cool with 9/11 Trutherism and Skin-shifting aliens taking over the human race and eliminating us by turning all our children gay through chemicals in juice boxes.... :shrug: vaccine conspiracy theories probably don't even register.

Back
Top Bottom