• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How the GOP could cut ties with Donald Trump

If you look back at why '69 had a balanced budget, it was because medicare taxes were collected that year but the payouts hadn't started. It's a similar reason there were balanced budgets in the late 90's: baby boomers were at or near peak income, which swelled the coffers of social security. Couple that with a dotcom bubble, the start of the housing bubble, and increased FIT , and a balanced budget was all but inevitable.

I don't think so. Can you provide any evidence?

your number 2 is a romanticized version of the past

The past??

Dude...number 2 is what has happened...what has become apparent...in just the last year since Trump entered the race. Nobody...and I mean NOBODY...has bucked the GOP Elites before now.

The past??

Dude...number 2 is what has happened...what has become apparent...in just the last year since Trump entered the race. Nobody...and I mean NOBODY...has bucked the GOP Elites before now.

If only that were true:

Donald Trump can’t actually meet Barry Goldwater, who has been dead now for 18 years. But he should take a minute to learn a little bit about Barry Goldwater’s (R-AZ) 1964 campaign for the Republican nomination.

What he would discover is that Goldwater also ran an outsider campaign for the Republican nomination. Like Trump, Goldwater drove the Republican establishment to distraction. Like Trump, the establishment woke up late to just how serious a threat Goldwater was to them. Like Trump, there were early indications that Goldwater at the head of the Republican ticket would result in a party wide disaster. And it did. Goldwater lost all but 6 states in 1964 and handed the Democrats outsized margins in Congress.

Donald Trump? Meet Barry Goldwater | Brookings Institution

The past??

suggest you reread your post, this time reread it to actually read it

If you look back at why '69 had a balanced budget, it was because medicare taxes were collected that year but the payouts hadn't started. It's a similar reason there were balanced budgets in the late 90's: baby boomers were at or near peak income, which swelled the coffers of social security. Couple that with a dotcom bubble, the start of the housing bubble, and increased FIT , and a balanced budget was all but inevitable.

Greetings, Citizen.Seven. :2wave:

It didn't last long, sad to say! :thumbdown: The people we elect to run our country - from both parties - and I'm certainly not going to call them "leaders," unless we agree the only leading they have done has led us to the $20 trillion dollar debt we have today! This is good governance? We could have given that job to grade school children and got the same result, but we could have saved billions in government salaries over the years! :2mad:

Another balanced budget in the near future would be a great idea, and while that wouldn't change the reality that the debt will still be there, with its billions in interest payments due every year, it would be a good start in showing the world that we can live within our means! The alternative will not be pleasant for our descendants!

Another balanced budget in the near future would be a great idea, and while that wouldn't change the reality that the debt will still be there, with its billions in interest payments due every year, it would be a good start in showing the world that we can live within our means! The alternative will not be pleasant for our descendants!

Sadly, we're going to have to raise taxes to pay down our debt. Perhaps you've come to that conclusion, but a lot haven't yet, and many others never will.

There's renewed talk in some Republican circles to find a way out as Trump lags big time behind Hillary Clinton in several new polls, and he has the highest unfavorable rating of any candidate for a major party on record -- 70% in this week's Washington Post-ABC poll.
One source with knowledge of these discussions underscores to CNN, however, that all of the ideas being bandied about now are highly unlikely to see fruition -- mostly because this kind of move to get rid of a nominee elected by GOP primary and caucus voters would be unprecedented. And a second source says he has spoken directly to senior GOP operatives with extensive convention experience who are actively exploring how to dump Trump.

How GOP could cut ties with Donald Trump - CNNPolitics.com

It's too late for the republican party to cut ties, now. The republican party made Donald Trump. it was the republican establishment's lack of a political spine and refusal to fight for conservative causes that led to such a buffoon getting nominated in the first place. They can claim to cut ties, however they still own him.

Thinking of going fascist?
No :), more federalist. It shouldn't matter this much who the President is.

Maybe there simply isn't a sustainable form of government. Maybe people really are too stupid, both as individuals and in groups.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

No :), more federalist. It shouldn't matter this much who the President is.

Maybe there simply isn't a sustainable form of government. Maybe people really are too stupid, both as individuals and in groups.

That's a relief, I guess.

That's a relief, I guess.
Not much of one. Proto-Fascism is heading (to various degrees) both major party tickets.

Not much of one. Proto-Fascism is heading (to various degrees) both major party tickets.

That's interesting. I presume you'd prefer 50 mini fascists to one big fascist.

I'll have to think about that one for a while.

That's interesting. I presume you'd prefer 50 mini fascists to one big fascist.

I'll have to think about that one for a while.
I'd prefer neither. I'd prefer it if we tried Liberty.

If only that were true:

Donald Trump can’t actually meet Barry Goldwater, who has been dead now for 18 years. But he should take a minute to learn a little bit about Barry Goldwater’s (R-AZ) 1964 campaign for the Republican nomination.

What he would discover is that Goldwater also ran an outsider campaign for the Republican nomination. Like Trump, Goldwater drove the Republican establishment to distraction. Like Trump, the establishment woke up late to just how serious a threat Goldwater was to them. Like Trump, there were early indications that Goldwater at the head of the Republican ticket would result in a party wide disaster. And it did. Goldwater lost all but 6 states in 1964 and handed the Democrats outsized margins in Congress.

Donald Trump? Meet Barry Goldwater | Brookings Institution

While there might be some similarities between Goldwater and Trump, as that article pointed out there are significant differences as well. Furthermore, that article was written BEFORE Trump defeated the other candidates...including Cruz, who the article seemed to tout as likely to defeat Trump.

Furthermore, taking the slanted word of the Brookings Institute with credence is tantamount to taking the word of the government establishment itself. Heck, you might as well present the rhetoric of the likes of Ryan, Pelosi, O'Connell and Obama. You know...the very people the GOP membership are rebelling against.

suggest you reread your post, this time reread it to actually read it

Tell you what...

Take your own advice, re-read my post and respond to it...or don't. Your choice.

But don't waste forum bandwidth or my time with useless posts.

While there might be some similarities between Goldwater and Trump, as that article pointed out there are significant differences as well. Furthermore, that article was written BEFORE Trump defeated the other candidates...including Cruz, who the article seemed to tout as likely to defeat Trump.

Furthermore, taking the slanted word of the Brookings Institute with credence is tantamount to taking the word of the government establishment itself. Heck, you might as well present the rhetoric of the likes of Ryan, Pelosi, O'Connell and Obama. You know...the very people the GOP membership are rebelling against.

I was refuting this rather emphatic claim of yours:

Nobody...and I mean NOBODY...has bucked the GOP Elites before now.

and if you don't like a 'slanted' Brookings claim, do you have a specific reason regarding that claim that Goldwater bucked the GOP establishment?

I was refuting this rather emphatic claim of yours:

Nobody...and I mean NOBODY...has bucked the GOP Elites before now.

and if you don't like a 'slanted' Brookings claim, do you have a specific reason regarding that claim that Goldwater bucked the GOP establishment?

Okay. I grant you the distinction.

Perhaps I should have said, "In the past 50 years." You understand, don't you, that 50 years is a very long time in a political sense. Most of the people voting nowadays weren't even born when Goldwater did his thing and Trump certainly isn't up against the same kind of GOP Elite that Goldwater had to contend with.

On the other hand, if I HAD said, "In the past 50 years" you might go back even further in our history to dig up some situation that you think is a parallel. shrug... Go for it, I guess, if you just HAVE to find some way to diminish my point. But know that you haven't effectively disputed my point. You know...the one about why the GOP finds itself in this situation and what Trump has to do with it.

Go ahead and pick your nits if it makes you happy, eh?

Go ahead and pick your nits if it makes you happy, eh?

Nobody but nobody ever becomes nobody in the last 50 years.

That's called moving the goal posts.

In any case, it did happen before, and it did not turn out well for the GOP.

Nobody but nobody ever becomes nobody in the last 50 years.

That's called moving the goal posts.

In any case, it did happen before, and it did not turn out well for the GOP.

Not moving any goal posts...just disputing the contention of the Brookings guys, and you of course since you brought them up. In any case, just because something happened 50 years ago and didn't succeed doesn't mean it won't succeed this time.

But, you know, whether Trump succeeds or not is not my concern and it doesn't dispute the reality of what's happening now.

You seem determined to pick a fight with me...to get me to defend Trump's actions. I won't do that. What I will do is use my intelligence and reason to accurately perceive reality.

Not moving any goal posts...just disputing the contention of the Brookings guys, and you of course since you brought them up. In any case, just because something happened 50 years ago and didn't succeed doesn't mean it won't succeed this time.

But, you know, whether Trump succeeds or not is not my concern and it doesn't dispute the reality of what's happening now.

You seem determined to pick a fight with me...to get me to defend Trump's actions. I won't do that. What I will do is use my intelligence and reason to accurately perceive reality.

I don't want to pick a fight.

Peace.

Stopping Trump...

Since the delegates are only pledged until the convention....suppose they changed their minds and withdrew their pledges to Trump so he no longer had enough delegates to secure the nomination at the convention? I suspect that this might the last chance to stop him.

Add to the mix....GOP mega donors and fundraisers are withholding their support for Trump and some are even donating to Hillary's campaign.

And too...Trumps campaign is in turmoil and running out of money.

The whole campaign is a disaster.

Stopping Trump...

Since the delegates are only pledged until the convention....suppose they changed their minds and withdrew their pledges to Trump so he no longer had enough delegates to secure the nomination at the convention? I suspect that this might the last chance to stop him.

Add to the mix....GOP mega donors and fundraisers are withholding their support for Trump and some are even donating to Hillary's campaign.

And too...Trumps campaign is in turmoil and running out of money.

The whole campaign is a disaster.

I don't think you understand how the convention and the delegates work.

Delegates are not "only pledged until the convention"...at least not all of them. The bulk of delegates are bound by the votes of the people who sent them to the convention...and Trump has many more of them than he needs.

As for the rest of your post...well...all I can say is, don't believe the hype you read. Most of that stuff simply isn't true. I mean, Trump's campaign is running out of money??? I don't think you realize just how much money he has. Heck, Trump isn't really fundraising because he has to. He's fundraising to help the Party.

I don't think you understand how the convention and the delegates work.

Delegates are not "only pledged until the convention"...at least not all of them. The bulk of delegates are bound by the votes of the people who sent them to the convention...and Trump has many more of them than he needs.

As for the rest of your post...well...all I can say is, don't believe the hype you read. Most of that stuff simply isn't true. I mean, Trump's campaign is running out of money??? I don't think you realize just how much money he has. Heck, Trump isn't really fundraising because he has to. He's fundraising to help the Party.

Suppose the delegates voted to change the rules? With over 70% disapproval rating it doesn't appear that Trump will have the votes of the people... and he didn't win a majority in the primary so his victory is hollow...and without full support of the party.....it could happen...

This Is How the GOP Could Dump Trump

"...The big question will be if the committee votes to free up “bound” delegates. To dump Trump, a majority of the convention delegates would have to vote for the change to open up the floor for other candidates.

Trump would be able to call the system rigged—so let him. Trump clearly doesn’t represent the majority views of the party, and he didn’t win a majority of the primary or caucus votes..."​

GOP Delegates Devise Plan To Take Nomination From Trump

"...Two options are being explored. One is a vote to change the rules to allow for the release of the delegates, while the other calls for a “conscience clause” to be added into the rules. This clause would free any delegate to withdraw support from a candidate because of their conscience..."​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom