• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How soon should Covid restrictions be removed?

How soon after a safe and effective Covid vaccine is available should restrictions be removed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Overitall

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Assuming that a safe and effective vaccine is made available. how soon afterwards do you feel it would be safe to reopen the entire country?

I'm leaning towards immediately since we've already have developed better treatments and even though some are still dying from it those numbers are in decline.

Let's hope you don't catch it and become one of the numbers that doesn't make it.

If I do then I'll probably never know how you voted. No great loss.
Let me help, I'm not voting for trump and I plan to use a mail in and drop it in a drop box. Now you've lost nothing that you didn't have.

it looks like they've already been mostly removed for the fans that are at the Florida/Ole Miss game.

i'd love to see the COVID numbers in Oxford, MS (and wherever else the fans traveled from) in a month.

Let me help, I'm not voting for trump and I plan to use a mail in and drop it in a drop box. Now you've lost nothing that you didn't have.
Surely, you're not thinking that Trump is going to win. Which puts the "ball" in Biden's court. It would help you if you learned to think outside the box.

Assuming that a safe and effective vaccine is made available. how soon afterwards do you feel it would be safe to reopen the entire country?

I'm leaning towards immediately since we've already have developed better treatments and even though some are still dying from it those numbers are in decline.
I'll leave it up to the ones who have already been making the decisions: The State Governors.

With or without a vaccine, the restrictions should have never been in place.

All along, suggested guidelines should have been set but not mandatory.

Please stop the BS the number of deaths has "declined" before only to go right back up again. According to Fauci, it will take at least until the 3rd quarter of 2021 before we can think about "normalcy". Even that may be optimistic. Do you want to volunteer to be the last person to die from Covid 19?

I agree with you but under the premise I posed it will be interesting to see what excuse for not lifting the restrictions they will have. I had hoped some of those here might reflect their thinking and give a reasonable reason for not lifting them.

That only works for sane and responsible people. Unfortunately, there are far too many dumbasses out there. It is because of them that rules for proper behavior must be enforced. If rules were not in place for drinking and driving (which is very similar to endangering others by not wearing a mask when indicated) then some dumbasses would feel free to drink and drive. Sure, everyone could choose to protect themselves by staying off the road....but that is not a realistic solution. Other dumbasses would think its OK to rob a local liquor store or a supermarket, but fortunately laws and penalties exist that mandate proper behavior.

In a perfect world we would not need to enforce laws. We do not live in a perfect world. Hence, laws about wearing masks and socially distancing ourselves during the pandemic are absolutely necessary. So is shutting down some of the known vectors for the virus such as movie theaters, bars, and restaurants. Its just the way it is right now.

I'll leave it up to the ones who have already been making the decisions: The State Governors.

Agree. The governors, with the advice of experts who should be running the pandemic response, should make those decisions along with a cogent national plan made by a sane president who actually has OUR best interests at heart.

Please stop the BS the number of deaths has "declined" before only to go right back up again. According to Fauci, it will take at least until the 3rd quarter of 2021 before we can think about "normalcy". Even that may be optimistic. Do you want to volunteer to be the last person to die from Covid 19?
Based on death certificate data, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia, influenza, or COVID-19 (PIC) for week 38 is 6.6%. This is currently lower than the percentage during week 37 (9.8%); however, the percentage remains above the epidemic threshold and will likely increase as more death certificates are processed.
Take your BS up with the CDC.

I agree with you but under the premise I posed it will be interesting to see what excuse for not lifting the restrictions they will have. I had hoped some of those here might reflect their thinking and give a reasonable reason for not lifting them.

Not dying is the excuse for keeping restrictions in place. Is that simple enough for you?

tmw2020-04-15printcolor.jpg

Take your BS up with the CDC.
however, the percentage remains above the epidemic threshold and will likely increase as more death certificates are processed.

Agree. The governors, with the advice of experts who should be running the pandemic response, should make those decisions along with a cogent national plan made by a sane president who actually has OUR best interests at heart.

Trump has already presented cogent federal guidance. The rest is up to the Governors.

Trump has already presented cogent federal guidance. The rest is up to the Governors.
Mycroft, if you were a Governor what would drive your decisions knowing that an effective and safe vaccine is available?

Mycroft, if you were a Governor what would drive your decisions knowing that an effective and safe vaccine is available?
Credible and accurate numbers.

Credible and accurate numbers.
Fair enough. I’m under the impression that a vaccine’s purpose is to offer protection against the virus. If everyone within your state has been vaccinated where’s the numbers justifying continued restrictions?

And what exactly IS the federal plan? Does it include ingesting hydroxychloroquine or injecting disinfectant? What is his plan for testing? Every single country that has been successful in managing this has had a cogent national plan....what is ours?

We could go back to normalcy, with the reminder that this spreads morea easily and is more dangerous to some people than most viruses.

I am sick and tired of the over-authoritarian nature of the government we are allowing. How can so many free-thinking believers put up with this nonsense?

Let business set their own rules.

Don't stop the free exercise of our rights.

Owners have the right to set standards for entry into their businesses.

Let freedom ring!

You chose other. May I ask what is your rationale for 5 1/2? It’s okay if you don’t want to say.

I voted immediately and I’m saying ok for the initial two week shut down to “flatten the curve” but it we should have been re opened immediately after.

And what exactly IS the federal plan? Does it include ingesting hydroxychloroquine or injecting disinfectant? What is his plan for testing? Every single country that has been successful in managing this has had a cogent national plan....what is ours?
Go to cdc.gov. Look it up for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom