• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How should we stop the riots?

We know that's not happening. Trump loves his supporters who engage in riots and terrorism.

a stupid lie: you used to be the biggest Trump cheerleader on this board. what changed that?

I countered that you said that the foundation of America was built on crap.
It isn't. The foundation of America is the Constitution and the Bill of Rights
Those are amazing documents that solved many of the problems that were
existing in the USA and in the societies around the world.

Are there problems? Sure. Is systemic racism a real thing in America now?

No.

Are aspects of American systems rife with problems? Yes. That is due to the
people in the system... not the system itself. Fix the people within the system

The American education system is really really good, actually. It is far superior
to many countries and the over all stats are skewed by problems that the
system has trouble addressing because they are societal issues, not educational
ones. I agree that access to health care is an issue that the USA pretty much
sucks at, currently, but the medical care itself is some of the best in the world.

The American economy flourished after slavery to make it the best in the world.
Slavery, the Constitution, and a Lasting Legacy | Montpelier

"The absence of slavery in the Constitution is one of the great paradoxes of our Founding Era. The framers were revolutionary thinkers who created what would become the first successfully functioning government by the people. Their ideas of fairness, justice, and individual rights are what many world leaders emulate today. Why, then, did so many brilliant minds pledge to be champions of individual rights, on one hand, then, on another, allow human beings to be reduced to chattel?"

How in good conscious could the Bill of Rights not apply to all human beings?

Who gets to be a person and who doesn’t? Fabricating a subservient order for those with darker skin allowed our founding generation (and generations after) to define "all men" and "the people" as "white men." As a result, they guaranteed white men the rights and liberties promised by the Constitution while preserving a thriving economy based on racial oppression.

Americans sold the soul of the Bill of Rights for profit.

Black people are telling you, screaming to you, that they still feel ill-treated by our justice system today. Why won't you listen?

The American economy flourished then, on the backs of slaves. It set a foundation of wealth in America for white men. Still, today, white Americans make the most money.

It had problems then, and it does now. Why not address them?

No, it did not. With the technological advances and greater competition from Europe slavery in the South, where it took place, eventually proved to be financially counterproductive. Owners usually had to care for entire families, clothe, feed and doctor them, even when there were no crops to be planted,weeded or harvested. Slaves were also, quite naturally, less productive and skillful than those paid a decent wage. And those 19 free States eventually did much better than the 15 slave States. Read Democracy in America for a first hand report.
In fact it was a great deal more than just cotton which grew the economy though 'cotton was king' for about 50 years.. There were a great deal of other natural resources which were exported but, having said all this, we both understand that slavery then was just as evil as it is now and it's a stain on all countries which participated. It continues now in some areas of the world, often in the sex trade, and not enough is being done about it.
In fact it is one of the oldest continuing democracies in the world and other countries could earn a great deal from the United States and how the country has held together this long.
It's not important what other countries think. The Europeans have been putting down America since 1776 despite them going from war to war for centuries, as have other areas of the world. North America is the safest region in the world because America does not try to invade or control it's neighbors. Skirmishes perhaps, but nothing like a European war.
What used to make America great was our welcoming arms to immigrants and the fact that despite our problems we were UNITED. I think people need to keep this in mind.

So enslaving other human beings was a waste of our time? Say it isn't so!

Can you elaborate on that? Do you have links?

You seemed to skip the fact that Alexis-De Tocqueville noted the irony of a freedom-loving America's treatment of Native Americans and Slaves. But you probably just left that out by accident.

So excited to hear more from you. :2wave:

Slavery, the Constitution, and a Lasting Legacy | Montpelier

"The absence of slavery in the Constitution is one of the great paradoxes of our Founding Era. The framers were revolutionary thinkers who created what would become the first successfully functioning government by the people. Their ideas of fairness, justice, and individual rights are what many world leaders emulate today. Why, then, did so many brilliant minds pledge to be champions of individual rights, on one hand, then, on another, allow human beings to be reduced to chattel?"

How in good conscious could the Bill of Rights not apply to all human beings?

Who gets to be a person and who doesn’t? Fabricating a subservient order for those with darker skin allowed our founding generation (and generations after) to define "all men" and "the people" as "white men." As a result, they guaranteed white men the rights and liberties promised by the Constitution while preserving a thriving economy based on racial oppression.

Americans sold the soul of the Bill of Rights for profit.

Black people are telling you, screaming to you, that they still feel ill-treated by our justice system today. Why won't you listen?

The American economy flourished then, on the backs of slaves. It set a foundation of wealth in America for white men. Still, today, white Americans make the most money.

It had problems then, and it does now. Why not address them?

I see that you are complaining a lot about the long ago past and you seem to be accusing me of not listening and not being open to change or equality... I am not sure why you are doing any of this... but you sound like a college student/ a person trying to understand or make sense of the many messages and facts that are out there. Good luck.

I see that you are complaining a lot about the long ago past and you seem to be accusing me of not listening and not being open to change or equality... I am not sure why you are doing any of this... but you sound like a college student/ a person trying to understand or make sense of the many messages and facts that are out there. Good luck.

LMAO, so, Iḿ telling you that black people were not helped by the Bill of Rights or the Constitution and it's well documented that white men were the only ones who benefited. I'm trying to explain how our society has been set up through a history of inequality, and the reason we have civil unrest, protests, and rioting today is that we refuse to address the remnants of our history.

Your counter is that I am a college student, trying to make sense of the world.

The first is not true and what I am trying to do is explain why we have a sea of black people protesting in our streets today and how we could stop the riots. We could stop this if we listened, and tried to address their problems because they are real. People protest when they are in need of change, people riot when they are desperate for change and nobody is listening.

I tried, failed, and bid you a good day. But I do hope you go away with the knowledge that the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights failed blacks, and women. It was for white men and therefore, you white men can continue to talk amoungst yourselfs, pat yourselves on the back, and agree that America was founded on great ideals for all (of you).

LMAO, so, Iḿ telling you that black people were not helped by the Bill of Rights or the Constitution and it's well documented that white men were the only ones who benefited. I'm trying to explain how our society has been set up through a history of inequality, and the reason we have civil unrest, protests, and rioting today is that we refuse to address the remnants of our history.

So black people are slaves? Women can not vote? Minority's do not have freedom of speech, religion or the right the petition, for example? A black man was not just President and a black woman is not currently on the Presidential ticket as the VP? Look, you are not telling or teaching me anything. I majored in History and teach it... but more importantly I understand it and can understand context.

Your counter is that I am a college student, trying to make sense of the world.

I was trying to come up with a nice explanation as to why you have these naive views.

The first is not true and what I am trying to do is explain why we have a sea of black people protesting in our streets today and how we could stop the riots. We could stop this if we listened, and tried to address their problems because they are real. People protest when they are in need of change,

We can not stop this by listening... all we can do is attempt to get racists out of systems like the police and others. We can only stop the riots by stop lawless rioters and to do that we need to deploy the National Guard, declare Martial Law and shoot rioters that do not obey.

people riot when they are desperate for change and nobody is listening.

Or when they are Anarchists...

I tried, failed, and bid you a good day. But I do hope you go away with the knowledge that the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights failed blacks, and women. It was for white men and therefore, you white men can continue to talk amoungst yourselfs, pat yourselves on the back, and agree that America was founded on great ideals for all (of you).

It was founded on ideas that were so great that they were able to evolve as society evolved... they were designed in such a manner that everybody has the right to speak and assemble. Everybody has the right to work and have the ability to have an education and improve their lives. Just because the Constitution only appeared to help white men at the beginning does not mean that it was not that very document that enabled the rights of it extended to blacks, women, Asians, etc.

You have a very naive, simplistic and narrow perception and understanding of history.

If you build a house on a crappy foundation, you should expect a crappy house with a sea of problems in its future.

It's up to every generation hereafter to fix those problems we have from the crappy foundation our great great grandparents laid. That's just life.
Can you name a country or people that DIDNT practice slavery? And you are about to rush to the polls to vote for a woman who's family LITERALLY can be shown to have engaged the slave trade and built their family fortunes from it. How stupid do you feel, or have you convinced yourself that...thats 'different'?

In Minneapolis, where some 400 businesses were damaged, owners and insurance experts estimate costs of the damage to exceed $500 million, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
George Floyd protests could be most expensive civil disturbance in US history, experts say | Fox News

---------

This is only in Minneapolis following the death of George Floyd. There have been more riots since in other parts of the United States.

How should we stop the riots? Do you recommend a harsher response by law enforcement, social reform and social welfare spending, or a combination of both?
Blacks are not discriminated against any more. They are discriminated in favor of with affirmative action policies. Trillions of dollars have been spent in anti poverty programs designed mainly to help blacks. If black protests are legitimate, what do they still have to protest against?

Please don't call them George Floyd protests. The stopped being that a long time ago. It's just insurrection by violent mobs. The only way to stop it is arrest, prosecution, incarceration.

Please don't call them George Floyd protests. The stopped being that a long time ago. It's just insurrection by violent mobs. The only way to stop it is arrest, prosecution, incarceration.

I would like for the black ghetto riots to be crushed by a coalition of policemen, servicemen, and deputized gun owners. They should be given orders to stop the looting and burning as quickly as possible, and as violently as necessary. No quarter should be given.

I would like for the black ghetto riots to be crushed by a coalition of policemen, servicemen, and deputized gun owners. They should be given orders to stop the looting and burning as quickly as possible, and as violently as necessary. No quarter should be given.

shoot on sight, looters, but by the proper authority, not Bubba the serviceman and Luke his deputized incestuous brother.

you need social change, dude

a law is broken, yes, arrest

shoot on sight, looters, but by the proper authority, not Bubba the serviceman and Luke his deputized incestuous brother.

I said "deputized gun owners." But I would rather have free lance vigilantes than a soft response.

Simplest solution would be to vote Trump out. Nothing was such a *(&^show before him ... not the economy, violence in the streets, unemployment, response to dangerous diseases, tattered alliances, Americans all hating each other. The man is toxic ineptitude personified. I love how campaigning he asked "what have you got to lose?" Well, here's your answer.

Simplest solution would be to vote Trump out. Nothing was such a *(&^show before him ... not the economy, violence in the streets, unemployment, response to dangerous diseases, tattered alliances, Americans all hating each other. The man is toxic ineptitude personified. I love how campaigning he asked "what have you got to lose?" Well, here's your answer.
:lamo

Bull****. You are either ignorant of or you deliberately ignore the racial violence and hatred spawned during the previous administration. Trump literally has **** all to do with the rat party run cities in this country where the police shootings and violence has occurred and the piece of **** idiot leftists in this country have been fanning the flames HOPING it would hurt Trump. Now...all of a sudden the polling comes out and it turns out all the violent leftist ****s and their idiot rat party supporters have managed to do is HELP Trump in the polls...and suddenly the rioting and looting is a BAD thing.

You hit BLM in the pocket book.
The businesses and individuals that were damaged by rioters and looters backed by BLM should file lawsuits against Thousand Current and BLM Global Network Foundation and BLM Foundation, Inc.
Where does all those millions in donations going?

You hit BLM in the pocket book.
The businesses and individuals that were damaged by rioters and looters backed by BLM should file lawsuits against Thousand Current and BLM Global Network Foundation and BLM Foundation, Inc.
Where does all those millions in donations going?
And where did BHO get all his money? That 'stimulus' certainly must have helped. It's always 'follow the money'. How Many Homes Does Barack Obama Own?

Back
Top Bottom