• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How should we empower and motivate everyone to serve the public good and do no harm?

In order to empower and motivate people to do good for society we should…

• Total voters

Envisioneer

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
We should make it impossible to do harm to society. If an action has a net loss for the value of society then it is harming society and should not be allowed to happen. Doing things that do not benefit the whole society being should not be allowed since this also harms it since if we are not growing the system then it is dying. No one should be allowed to not contribute to the growth of society. Everyone should be encouraged, motivated, rewarded and incentivized to grow society towards the most ethical and rational goals that benefit everyone in the long term existence of society. We need to get serious about the long term future survival and thriving of our society and values. We should create a fortified city that can replicate itself as the population grows at a steady and reasonable rate. The city should adjust to our changing needs like a cell in our body adjusts to its environment and goals. But the people in this city would need to be dedicated to the common good of the city and the world. In order to make sure they will not deviate from the goals of the society, we must reward good and socially beneficial behavior as soon as it happens and treat and change bad behavior and make bad behavior impossible. We can do this by installing brain implants that communicates all brain activity to a computer that is controlled by everyone who is rational and dedicated to the common good. The computer would recognize when someone is thinking about doing harm and when someone is planning to do something good. This computer would make sure everyone is thinking and feeling rationally, efficiently, and ethically. What is ethical thinking and what is not will be determined by everyone according to how well they understand the world and how to progress it and computers and technology would aid the process to eliminate human error. We can already use fmri machines to determine when someone is lying today since lying uses more imaginative areas of the brain and blood flow patterns reveal what areas of the brain are being used. Soon these devices will be hand held and wearable and can even communicate with other brain or computer systems cellularly and electronically. Brain to brain interfaces have been successful already, where one experimenter had his arm controlled and moved by another person who was just had to think about moving his hand. The future can be here sooner than later if we care about solutions to our social problems enough. Soon technology will enable us to use any person's brain resources and knowledge, skills, and wisdom will be in the cloud of minds that anyone can access if they are publicly available or for sale per use, download, upload, or access. The internet of brains will be available in the future. This would enable anyone to contribute to the government decisions according to their level of expertise. Thoughts and actions that aim to cause harm can be eliminated before they happen. There would be no mental illness and no psychopaths since we will be able to use brain implants to provide brain functions that mentally ill people lack.
In the future, no one will understand how some people, in the past, valued "privacy" or the ability to hide from others their intentions, thoughts, and activities. They will wonder why anyone would need to hide such things from others unless they wanted to do harm to society. We have valued things in the past that we consider uncivilized today. We valued the right have slaves and today those rights have been recognized to be harmful to society in the end and they have been abolished today.
The city systems would reward people who do good with more influence over the goals of the city. The most powerful people would be the ones who add the most value to society. Anyone would be able to climb the ladder of power with every action they take to increase their knowledge and understanding of the world and to do good things with their knowledge and resources. If people have to be dedicated to the well-being of the city social system and the world in order for them to gain power, no one with intentions to harm would be able to rise to power and influence.

Re: How should we empower and motivate everyone to serve the public good and do no ha

...are you suggesting literal thought control or a borg collective or both?

Re: How should we empower and motivate everyone to serve the public good and do no ha

The best way to empower and motivate people is to get them education, and ensure that they are never struggling desperately to survive. Most people want to do good, and they will if they aren't motivated by fear.

We should make it impossible to do harm to society. If an action has a net loss for the value of society then it is harming society and should not be allowed to happen. Doing things that do not benefit the whole society being should not be allowed since this also harms it since if we are not growing the system then it is dying. No one should be allowed to not contribute to the growth of society. Everyone should be encouraged, motivated, rewarded and incentivized to grow society towards the most ethical and rational goals that benefit everyone in the long term existence of society. We need to get serious about the long term future survival and thriving of our society and values. We should create a fortified city that can replicate itself as the population grows at a steady and reasonable rate. The city should adjust to our changing needs like a cell in our body adjusts to its environment and goals. But the people in this city would need to be dedicated to the common good of the city and the world. In order to make sure they will not deviate from the goals of the society, we must reward good and socially beneficial behavior as soon as it happens and treat and change bad behavior and make bad behavior impossible. We can do this by installing brain implants that communicates all brain activity to a computer that is controlled by everyone who is rational and dedicated to the common good. The computer would recognize when someone is thinking about doing harm and when someone is planning to do something good. This computer would make sure everyone is thinking and feeling rationally, efficiently, and ethically. What is ethical thinking and what is not will be determined by everyone according to how well they understand the world and how to progress it and computers and technology would aid the process to eliminate human error. We can already use fmri machines to determine when someone is lying today since lying uses more imaginative areas of the brain and blood flow patterns reveal what areas of the brain are being used. Soon these devices will be hand held and wearable and can even communicate with other brain or computer systems cellularly and electronically. Brain to brain interfaces have been successful already, where one experimenter had his arm controlled and moved by another person who was just had to think about moving his hand. The future can be here sooner than later if we care about solutions to our social problems enough. Soon technology will enable us to use any person's brain resources and knowledge, skills, and wisdom will be in the cloud of minds that anyone can access if they are publicly available or for sale per use, download, upload, or access. The internet of brains will be available in the future. This would enable anyone to contribute to the government decisions according to their level of expertise. Thoughts and actions that aim to cause harm can be eliminated before they happen. There would be no mental illness and no psychopaths since we will be able to use brain implants to provide brain functions that mentally ill people lack.
In the future, no one will understand how some people, in the past, valued "privacy" or the ability to hide from others their intentions, thoughts, and activities. They will wonder why anyone would need to hide such things from others unless they wanted to do harm to society. We have valued things in the past that we consider uncivilized today. We valued the right have slaves and today those rights have been recognized to be harmful to society in the end and they have been abolished today.
The city systems would reward people who do good with more influence over the goals of the city. The most powerful people would be the ones who add the most value to society. Anyone would be able to climb the ladder of power with every action they take to increase their knowledge and understanding of the world and to do good things with their knowledge and resources. If people have to be dedicated to the well-being of the city social system and the world in order for them to gain power, no one with intentions to harm would be able to rise to power and influence.

Please define the following terms relative to your proposal:

Impossible
Harm
Value
Allowed
Fortified

... Wait. I just saw the words "brain implants."

Well, I was trying to take you seriously, but never mind now! :lol:

Last edited:

Impossible
Harm
Value
Allowed
Fortified

You made it that far? Second sentence for me... Oo.

You made it that far? Second sentence for me... Oo.

I was willing to give him a chance to explain himself until I got to the implants, then it became clear that there was simply no point.

I was thinking the same thing...Or society ought to be omnipotent like the Q continuum?

Impossible
Harm
Value
Allowed
Fortified

I you keep reading I explain that we already using technology that allows brain to brain communication. And I saw in a science magazine today that they are making a brain implant that will be able to reduce seizures. Thinking creatively about solutions to social problems is not for everyone I guess. I am being serious. Can you suggest an alternative solution or answer to the question.

Harm to society would be any action that has a net loss effect to the value of society. Crime and violence causes harm to society, so does violent thinking when it causes you to not be thinking more peaceful thoughts that could benefit society.
Fortified means that the city would need to protected from outsiders who wish harm upon the city.
Impossible and allowed means that we would take measures to eliminate the opportunities to cause harm.
Values means anything that humanity thinks should survive or exist and thrive forever. We want peace forever. We value educated minds forever. We value making the universe more beautiful and complex. and mostly we value the realization of dreams.
Any more comments or solutions?

I was thinking the same thing...Or society ought to be omnipotent like the Q continuum?

Yeah on wikipedia i got this similar goal or interest of the Q "an interest in the development and progress of life".
I would call it thought guidance like GPS that enables you to get from one place to another or from one problem to the solution, but only the thought GPS does not allow you to use it for evil and it would alert everyone when you are intending to harm society. Is this fair and reasonable?

I would call it thought guidance like GPS that enables you to get from one place to another or from one problem to the solution, but only the thought GPS does not allow you to use it for evil and it would alert everyone when you are intending to harm society. Is this fair and reasonable?

The best way to empower and motivate people is to get them education, and ensure that they are never struggling desperately to survive. Most people want to do good, and they will if they aren't motivated by fear.

I agree we need to reward education of minds, but why should we tempt people with opportunities to harm society?

I was willing to give him a chance to explain himself until I got to the implants, then it became clear that there was simply no point.

Why should it be wrong to think of the future and its many possibilities? Why is the idea of brain computer interfaces such a ridiculous idea to you?

I think I've found a future that might be similar to what you propose.

Equilibrium (2002) - IMDb

This sentence:

We can do this by installing brain implants that communicates all brain activity to a computer that is controlled by everyone who is rational and dedicated to the common good.

Makes the worst sense out of the entire paragraph. Controlled by everyone who is rational and dedicated to the common good? Who might that be? Who would the entire world trust with such power? Why should such power be controlled by a small group of HUMANS?

I think I've found a future that might be similar to what you propose.

Equilibrium (2002) - IMDb

This sentence:

We can do this by installing brain implants that communicates all brain activity to a computer that is controlled by everyone who is rational and dedicated to the common good.

Makes the worst sense out of the entire paragraph. Controlled by everyone who is rational and dedicated to the common good? Who might that be? Who would the entire world trust with such power? Why should such power be controlled by a small group of HUMANS?
This society would make sure everyone is educated and understanding of the world, rational, and dedicated to the common good, so it would not be a small group of people but everyone who cares about the world, which will be everyone since there will be no reason to want to cause harm since the system cares about the ideas and thoughts and solutions of everyone in the society.

I watched that movie but think that we would not need to eliminate all feelings, just make sure no feelings are to cause harm to society. Discontentment is essential for people to desire and make changes happen for the better, it would not make sense to eliminate pain or pleasure since both help us to do good if we know how.

This society would make sure everyone is educated and understanding of the world, rational, and dedicated to the common good, so it would not be a small group of people but everyone who cares about the world, which will be everyone since there will be no reason to want to cause harm since the system cares about the ideas and thoughts and solutions of everyone in the society.

I watched that movie but think that we would not need to eliminate all feelings, just make sure no feelings are to cause harm to society. Discontentment is essential for people to desire and make changes happen for the better, it would not make sense to eliminate pain or pleasure since both help us to do good if we know how.

Re-read that sentence a couple of times.

Now does it make sense?

Re-read that sentence a couple of times.

Now does it make sense?

I tried to fit too many ideas into one sentence so it is confusing and I left out a word or a few that would clarify. I mean to say that it would not be a small group of people like you mentioned it might be, because everyone will be educated and have equal opportunities to learn and do good. Another reason everyone will good and able to contribute to the governance of the social system is that they will have no reason to desire to cause harm. The system will make sure everyone's needs are met and that their voice is heard so there will be no one who would want to cause harm because society did not meet their need or solve their discontents.
Am I starting to make sense?

I tried to fit too many ideas into one sentence so it is confusing and I left out a word or a few that would clarify. I mean to say that it would not be a small group of people like you mentioned it might be, because everyone will be educated and have equal opportunities to learn and do good. Another reason everyone will good and able to contribute to the governance of the social system is that they will have no reason to desire to cause harm. The system will make sure everyone's needs are met and that their voice is heard so there will be no one who would want to cause harm because society did not meet their need or solve their discontents.
Am I starting to make sense?

How?

And it's human nature to cause harm, unfortunately.

Any model for utopia that i've seen invariably carries a loss of free will (to the extent we have any), but what disturbs me is the idea of anyone having unlimited access to my thoughts, or myself to theirs. The entire planet? That is truly a terrifying scenario.

No one is fully rational or 'good' either, so you would need to work on that as well. Even what's harmful to society needs to be defined. There's considerable disagreement on that.

Let's just say I'm not a libertarian because I love being controlled or monitored. If you guys want to join some center hub thought sharing machine you're more than welcome though. Just be sure to keep me the hell out of it.

this.

Any model for utopia that i've seen invariably carries a loss of free will (to the extent we have any), but what disturbs me is the idea of anyone having unlimited access to my thoughts, or myself to theirs. The entire planet? That is truly a terrifying scenario.

No one is fully rational or 'good' either, so you would need to work on that as well. Even what's harmful to society needs to be defined. There's considerable disagreement on that.

We can agree and already have agreed on what is good and harmful to society sufficiently enough to force people to have the right mood and/or the right thoughts. Many people are forced into mental hospitals all the time because they are not thinking and/or feeling in a way that professionals think is healthy and good for them. This is all justified because people do not always know what is best for themselves. Some people do not have the proper brain chemistry to make good decisions for themselves so it is justified for more reasonable professionals to decide what is best for them against their unhealthy will. Why should we tempt or people with the opportunity to cause harm to others or themselves? That makes no sense. We can still have the free healthy will to do good but we should never have the free will or opportunity to cause harm. Can you justify giving people the opportunity to cause harm?

Access does not have to be unlimited, it can be regulated and some brain resources and expertise could be for sale. Who would not like to get the advice of professionals on any important decision at a reasonable cost?
I understand it might be overwhelming to have so much understanding, wisdom, and access to other minds initially but you would get used to it and be billions of times more happier and productive.
Goodness can be learned and it is relative to the ultimate goal of society.
I have already described my theory of what is good in another post so I will paste it here:
the moral system I propose:
I think good is relative to the ultimate goal for all life and the world. The ultimate goal should be as grand as possible, so it should be at least to colonize the galaxy with intelligent life or technology. It could also be to enable all life to realize any dream instantly and have any experience that does not harm others.

So in order to allow life to colonize the universe we would need to decide as a species how we will do that at what exactly we want to become and what we want to last forever. We already impose on the mentally ill what we think they should feel and how they should think in order for them to be what we think is good, healthy, and a better life. I am merely expanding upon that already justified practice. But I am suggesting that we give everyone the tools they need to decide what is best and most good for the future of the universe collectively as one social being. Neurons in the brain are an example to show that we already have a network of individual cells that influence each other and make decisions collectively with each cell being given some fair consideration in the overall decision process. I am practicing bio-mimicry and applying the insights from biology to social systems. I am taking the next step in our evolution into a society being of networked systems and minds just like the neurons already are. Why not follow the best methods already proven by billions of years of natural selection? So I justify the mind network and thought guidance system by appealing to biology which knows how to make a living system better than we do. Did I satisfy your questions and concerns?

Let's just say I'm not a libertarian because I love being controlled or monitored. If you guys want to join some center hub thought sharing machine you're more than welcome though. Just be sure to keep me the hell out of it.

Being controlled and monitored by caring professionals is not all that bad once you learn to appreciate their service to your greater good. Some well educated professionals already control the moods and thoughts of mentally ill people with drugs, psycho education, and therapies. We just need to expand the definition of mentally ill to include any one with thoughts of violence and of doing harm to society. Give it a try, "if you try it you will like it" Green eggs and ham. Do not reject something without evaluating the benefits and costs. Do not reject something you know little about.

Being controlled and monitored by caring professionals is not all that bad once you learn to appreciate their service to your greater good.

That's a very dangerous ideal... You could use that to justify so many authoritarian regimes...

Your wall of text is hurting eyeballs all across society.

That's a very dangerous ideal... You could use that to justify so many authoritarian regimes...

An dictator can actually be a benevolent one that can be better than democracy that is governed by not always benevolent majority. I would prefer that the path to power be in a way where only the most benevolent people rise to power. We should reward good behavior by giving them more power and influence according to their good deeds and understanding of reality.
An authoritarian regime that only lets evil people rise to power is bad. A technocracy that gives the most power to those who prove to be the most expert and most benevolent is better.
i do not see how giving power to influence others to those who prove to be dedicated to the greater good and are professionals at mental health is a bad thing or justifies evil regimes. Giving power to influence the behavior of others is already being done in our society in the mental health care business.

Back
Top Bottom