• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How serious is AG Merrick Garland about the 1/6 Investigation?

ouch

Air Muscle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I like several members here have wondered just where AG Garland's head is at pertaining to the 1/6 investigation and the DOJ. Hopefully, this article answers or possibly calms our concerns. Since he stated that it's "the most urgent investigation" that we may expect the DOJ's full attention to prosecute the obvious. Because if justice drops the ball on this one, don't expect folks to pay any attention to laws anymore. imo

1646941307948.png
"This is the most urgent investigation in the history of the Justice Department," Garland said. "It's the most resource intensive.

"We've thrown 70 prosecutors from the District of Columbia and another 70 from around the country. Every FBI office, almost every U.S. Attorney's Office in the country is working on this matter."

"We are not avoiding cases that are political or cases that are controversial or sensitive," he said. "What we are avoiding is making decisions on a political basis, on a partisan basis."

I like several members here have wondered just where AG Garland's head is at pertaining to the 1/6 investigation and the DOJ. Hopefully, this article answers or possibly calms our concerns. Since he stated that it's "the most urgent investigation" that we may expect the DOJ's full attention to prosecute the obvious. Because if justice drops the ball on this one, don't expect folks to pay any attention to laws anymore. imo

View attachment 67379262
"This is the most urgent investigation in the history of the Justice Department," Garland said. "It's the most resource intensive.

"We've thrown 70 prosecutors from the District of Columbia and another 70 from around the country. Every FBI office, almost every U.S. Attorney's Office in the country is working on this matter."

"We are not avoiding cases that are political or cases that are controversial or sensitive," he said. "What we are avoiding is making decisions on a political basis, on a partisan basis."

My hope is that he surprises his critics, and I've been one on occasion. My hope is that he will not hesitate to charge Trump if the evidence of the 1/6 committee warrants it. My hope is that he is just being cautious in order to have every duck in it row, and that we don't know just how far along he may be in readying charges. These aren't entirely my beliefs yet, but my hopes.

View attachment 67379262

Let's not forget who we're talking about here.... in the Clinton Administration, Garland's main function was to oversee domestic terrorism investigations - Oklahoma City Bombing, Unabomber, Atlanta Olympics Bombing - Garland was the go-to guy in the DOJ on all of those cases.

Prominent legal experts have urged the Justice Department to investigate Trump directly, while some have called for the former president's indictment. In a Wednesday opinion article published by The Washington Post, Harvard Constitutional Law Professor Laurence Tribe and former federal prosecutor Dennis Aftergut urged Garland to appointed a special counsel to probe Trump.

"The time has come for Attorney General Merrick Garland to appoint a special counsel to investigate Donald Trump. That step offers the best way to reassure the country that no one is above the law, justice is nonpartisan and fears of political fallout will not determine the decision on whether to bring charges," they wrote.
Bring it on. NOW.

Restore faith in justice.

Trump called them to the rally. He sent them to the capitol. He told them to fight like hell. That is what they did. How is he not responsible?

View attachment 67379262

You know...maybe Garland is telling the truth about all those prosecutors on the case...maybe he's just blowing smoke up our asses...but we won't hear anything about it and he won't do anything about it. He can't.

If he does, he'll be interfering with the House dog and pony show. They, and their narrative creation, has priority over the DOJ doing anything to find the truth.

You know...maybe Garland is telling the truth about all those prosecutors on the case...maybe he's just blowing smoke up our asses...but we won't hear anything about it and he won't do anything about it. He can't.

If he does, he'll be interfering with the House dog and pony show. They, and their narrative creation, has priority over the DOJ doing anything to find the truth.
Justice is justice and the DOJ is there to perform that duty regardless of the House's duties. What the Committee finds is only a part of the process that is reviewed by the DOJ. The Moderate AG has the final say for what goes forward or not. His decisions may disappoint many, if not all, before this is over with.

My hope is that he surprises his critics, and I've been one on occasion. My hope is that he will not hesitate to charge Trump if the evidence of the 1/6 committee warrants it. My hope is that he is just being cautious in order to have every duck in it row, and that we don't know just how far along he may be in readying charges. These aren't entirely my beliefs yet, but my hopes.
Your hopes align with mine. Without justice, we're a nation of nothing. What we witnessed up to and on 1/6/21 might be our nation's last stand for civil justice. I too have some doubt that AG Garland will walk the walk in its entirety. I'm afraid that he's too weak to show we the people that political parties won't shove us around if any effort to rule us by totalitarian means. I hope that he surprises me fully - this year and next. In a time when global dictators are trying to rise up, our nation of people must not only harden to be strong but remain strong thereafter. To abide by the laws of our land and honor our Constitution. As I used to say often - It's showtime!

Justice is justice and the DOJ is there to perform that duty regardless of the House's duties. What the Committee finds is only a part of the process that is reviewed by the DOJ. The Moderate AG has the final say for what goes forward or not. His decisions may disappoint many, if not all, before this is over with.
For sure. There'll be a lot of useful idiots disappointed when they find out the House...who's only concern is a political narrative...don't produce anything that the DOJ can take action on.

Trump called them to the rally. He sent them to the capitol. He told them to fight like hell. That is what they did. How is he not responsible?
Not to mention that he spent a couple million on advertising promoting the insurrection…

He sent the rallygoers outside their permitted area. Reminds me of the unite the right rally

Because republicans are partisan hacks, and much of their base are morons that just believe Fox News lies and propaganda.

Not to mention that he spent a couple million on advertising promoting the insurrection…
If that is not what insurrection law is intended for, then what use is it?

He sent the rallygoers outside their permitted area. Reminds me of the unite the right rally
True dat. On top of all other laws he disregarded, he personally directed the crowd to go to an area that he was not permitted to gather a crowd at. He is in violation of his public event permit. DC should fine him for that, and sue him for added security and medical costs to the DC police.

For sure. There'll be a lot of useful idiots disappointed when they find out the House...who's only concern is a political narrative...don't produce anything that the DOJ can take action on.
I'm sure there's plenty enough findings by the Committee for AG Garland to proceed with - it's the current state of his balls that they're in that concerns me.

Back
Top Bottom