• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

HOW REVEALING ARE YOUR USER NAMES?

I spent almost 0 effort coming up with my username and it's essentially meaningless. I usually try to come up with funny usernames, but I just didn't feel like that was appropriate for a political forum and I'm no good at coming up with serious names. So I just said screw it and went with this.

GMTA......I'd give the exact same answer

Reactions: AJG
Back around 2001-2002 or so I was still dependent upon my fallback skills in electronics and IT, so I wound up working at Lockheed Air Force Plant #4 in Fort Worth, TX. As this was a very high security defense plant and it was post 9/11, security was beyond tight.
Armed guards with AR-15's (or something similar), under-car mirrors, hood and trunk checks and every single ID scanned and checked every morning.
My first morning, I show up and give them my driver's license, and one of the more annoying guards decided he needed to give me a hard time.

"What the hell kinda license is this, you look like some kind of plaid terrorist.
Whaddo they call you back in Iran, Checkerboard Strangler?"

It stuck, I was "Mister Strangler" the entire time I worked at Lockheed.
I figure it sounds like the name of a blues band from Chicago.
Cool, great background story! :cool:

Someone once said that names reveal a persons character. How much thought do you put into your choice for user names?

None. I was tipsy and there was a post I wanted to respond to so I made a quick throwaway account and ended up keeping it.

But the progessives here really hate it, and that's the only reason I haven't paid the ten bucks to change it.

As I've joked before, I'm sure mine has gotten me investigated by at least one or more 3 letter agencies, who then felt stupid for wasting that money investigating me considering what it comes from.
Please elaborate, you can't just say that about the three letter agencies, then leave us hanging.

You can't post something like "Sock No. 4" without explaining it. I just made up that rule though.

Well, it was as naughty as it sounds.

I used it to troll the Huffington Post forum -- back when they had community moderators. One became a community moderator by flagging posts which were ultimately deemed to be objectionable enough to remove. After flagging 100 posts or so, if you had a high enough accuracy in tagging posts which were confirmed to be deletable, you got your moderator badge.

I was a rightwinger at the time. Rightwing posts were much more often found objectionable by the community than leftwing posts were -- understandably. So I picked a name which would make people feel I was up to no good, and I made mild rightwing posts to avoid getting banned outright, but I flagged the kind of rightwing posts which I had reason to believe would soon be deleted. And thus I rapidly rose to the rank of community moderator and got all kinds of deliciously annoyed comments about how wrong it was that I, with my rightwing political bias and my trollish name, was a moderator.

Please elaborate, you can't just say that about the three letter agencies, then leave us hanging.
It is available elsewhere on this board.....but I'll share again.

Rogue is my favorite XMan and my Navy job makes me a nuke. Either I didn't feel like capitalizing or I just forgot to do so (can't really remember now). I have since grown attached to it.

I was nearly 30 years on structural steel and I loved a good demo job. I remember taking down the Clark Street bridge in Vancouver with number 8 torches on propane. The centre orifice in the tip looked like a straw and it was like jet propulsion when you hit the trigger- at the girder bearings we were burning through three layers, four inches thick. The oxygen bottle was a huge stainless thing you'd need three people to put arms around and it was coated inches deep with frost by the end of the day.
Yeah, demo's fun.

I have to make a confession and hope that you do not take it as an insult because it is not.

I am Greek, and if you are a little bit familiar (even as a tourist) with the Greek language, you will know that one common Greek insulting word is "malakas." And some times (for an especially big asshole) we say that he is a "megalos malakas" (the word "megalos" means "big" in Greek.
So whenever I see your name, I smile because it naturally sounds to me as an abbreviation for"Grand Malakas"

Sorry...(y)

My nickname was a combination of letters from my first and last name in Greek. I created somewhere in the early 90's, andI have not changed it since then. I guess usernames often reveal what a person is or what a person wants to be.

Someone once said that names reveal a persons character. How much thought do you put into your choice for user names?

My member name combines my highest rank held in military service, with my willingness to stand firm in the face of adversity.

The avatar pictured is that of Patrick Henry, the man history attributes the phrase "Give me Liberty, or give me Death."

It encompasses my view of my socio-political existence.

Many wonder why a Black American would pick such an avatar.

I am one who is unconcerned with "race," choosing instead to focus on my core belief system for my own way in life.

So why some old white male, accused of being a slave-owner...which he was?

Because, I look beyond the surface to history.

Patrick Henry: Founding Father, Slave Holder and Pioneer – The Founders & Slavery (wordpress.com)

As one can see people can change. In any case, his words remain words I live by.

Last edited:
I have to make a confession and hope that you do not take it as an insult because it is not.

I am Greek, and if you are a little bit familiar (even as a tourist) with the Greek language, you will know that one common Greek insulting word is "malakas." And some times (for an especially big asshole) we say that he is a "megalos malakas" (the word "megalos" means "big" in Greek.
So whenever I see your name, I smile because it naturally sounds to me as an abbreviation for"Grand Malakas"

Sorry...(y)

From now on, every time I see YOUR handle, it's going to make me think of Gus Portukalous as he introduces, Anita, Diane and Nick, Anita, Diane and Nick, also Nick, Nick and Nick.

From now on, every time I see YOUR handle, it's going to make me think of Gus Portukalous as he introduces, Anita, Diane and Nick, Anita, Diane and Nick, also Nick, Nick and Nick.

LOLOL

I had a lot of fun watching that movie. Obvously as a comedy it had to rely on exaggerations but there was a grain of truth behind them. And yes, I have many Nicks in my family

How is this thread political? What am I missing about it?

LOL, I was thinking of that movie too when I read that post.

You know, I always believed that Greek and Italian families are very similar.
When my cousin married a Greek man, my suspicions were confirmed immediately.

The food's different, the music is different, the language is different but scratch the surface and you'd have a tough time telling them apart. My Italian family is loud, we all get into each others business and we say silly stuff all the time and we eat and eat and eat.

You guys have My Big Fat Greek Wedding, we have Moonstruck, which looks for all the world like they shot it in my grandmother's house, I swear.

LOLOL

I had a lot of fun watching that movie. Obvously as a comedy it had to rely on exaggerations but there was a grain of truth behind them. And yes, I have many Nicks in my family
My family's not Greek, but it appealed to me too due to having a huge extended family like that. We didn't really have the "same name" thing, but there were still a lot to introduce to my husband.

Roman History is an avocation of mine especially the latter Republic. Mine is the first name of Gaius Julius Caesar plus the year he was assassinated. Except I got the year wrong - it was 44BC not 46BC.

Roman History is an avocation of mine especially the latter Republic. Mine is the first name of Gaius Julius Caesar plus the year he was assassinated. Except I got the year wrong - it was 44BC not 46BC.
Sometimes I feel like Varus posting here, maybe I could do something with that.

My family's not Greek, but it appealed to me too due to having a huge extended family like that. We didn't really have the "same name" thing, but there were still a lot to introduce to my husband.

I actually do not have a large extended family in the US. The whole Greek part of my family is still in Greece. And in many respects, I (and most I will say) modern Greeks are very different from the typical Greek-American who is represented by the movie's character (father). The Greeks who immigrated to the US in the beginning of the 20th century became entreched in the conservative Greek culture of the time (often as a defense to the difficulties they faced in the US) and never experienced the progress of the Greek culture in the mother country. Most old timers I have met in my community ((and often their children) are veryyyy conservative. Modern Greeks who immigrated like me to the US recently because of pursuing postgraduate education or marriage with a US citizen or whatever carry a different Greek (and much more modern) culture.

I actually do not have a large extended family in the US. The whole Greek part of my family is still in Greece. And in many respects, I (and most I will say) modern Greeks are very different from the typical Greek-American who is represented by the movie's character (father). The Greeks who immigrated to the US in the beginning of the 20th century became entreched in the conservative Greek culture of the time (often as a defense to the difficulties they faced in the US) and never experienced the progress of the Greek culture in the mother country. Most old timers I have met in my community ((and often their children) are veryyyy conservative. Modern Greeks who immigrated like me to the US recently because of pursuing postgraduate education or marriage with a US citizen or whatever carry a different Greek (and much more modern) culture.
I have a mother who tells me all the time she is moving from state to state because of her "Gypsy blood". Her family has been in America for at least 3-4 generations on each side.

Granted, her mother's family actually were gypsies though. I think that is why my family prefers having a matriarch for the family to gather around, look up to. Right now, it is my mother. My husband lives in fear that it will pass to me soon.

Back
Top Bottom