• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

HOW REVEALING ARE YOUR USER NAMES?

I used to put quite a bit of effort into names -- came up with some odd ones which got mixed reactions. One of my favorites was "Sock No. 4".

At some point I had an Amelia Earhart avatar. Unfortunately, that set me up for cheap shots about my posts crashing like my avatar so I went back to my usual cat avatars. But on my next forum I chose the name Amelia and now it's the name I usually pick. Pretty but ordinary. Doesn't confuse anyone. Works for me.
The bolded nick is awesome! (y)

My username is from Zoroastrianism. It was the last religion I tried before giving in to my reality (atheism).

It basically means "friend" or "friendship". Perhaps that doesn't jive with your view of me, but I'll be OK.

Well, it was as naughty as it sounds.

I used it to troll the Huffington Post forum -- back when they had community moderators. One became a community moderator by flagging posts which were ultimately deemed to be objectionable enough to remove. After flagging 100 posts or so, if you had a high enough accuracy in tagging posts which were confirmed to be deletable, you got your moderator badge.

I was a rightwinger at the time. Rightwing posts were much more often found objectionable by the community than leftwing posts were -- understandably. So I picked a name which would make people feel I was up to no good, and I made mild rightwing posts to avoid getting banned outright, but I flagged the kind of rightwing posts which I had reason to believe would soon be deleted. And thus I rapidly rose to the rank of community moderator and got all kinds of deliciously annoyed comments about how wrong it was that I, with my rightwing political bias and my trollish name, was a moderator.
I suspect you do well in political situations!

My username is from Zoroastrianism. It was the last religion I tried before giving in to my reality (atheism).

It basically means "friend" or "friendship". Perhaps that doesn't jive with your view of me, but I'll be OK.
do you know the story about the zoroastrians moving to India and their meeting with the Guru?

From now on, every time I see YOUR handle, it's going to make me think of Gus Portukalous as he introduces, Anita, Diane and Nick, Anita, Diane and Nick, also Nick, Nick and Nick.

1606103678186.jpeg

Nope. Far more obscure. Its a realism game based on the Eastern Front. Germans vs. Russians. Huge German and Russian contingent.
Red Orchestra?

I always thought you were either an airy man, or air was some kind of accented greeting, + ya man, like air ya man, how are>how're>howr>hair>air. Maybe I over thought it.

You know, I always believed that Greek and Italian families are very similar.
When my cousin married a Greek man, my suspicions were confirmed immediately.

The food's different, the music is different, the language is different but scratch the surface and you'd have a tough time telling them apart. My Italian family is loud, we all get into each others business and we say silly stuff all the time and we eat and eat and eat.

You guys have My Big Fat Greek Wedding, we have Moonstruck, which looks for all the world like they shot it in my grandmother's house, I swear.
There's a ton of Greeks in my city, and I grew-up with quite a few, with GreekTown just one neighborhood over. You've got that (bolded) dead-nuts on. They grow Oregano, we grow Basil. Big deal. Everything else underneath is the same. Well, except maybe the Greeks are a little easier going, and perhaps a little less likely to take an insult hard.

The way I heard this described by a new Asian immigrant citizen, is:

"The Greeks are just like the Italians, just a little crazier!"

I think that's an astute observation!

I actually do not have a large extended family in the US. The whole Greek part of my family is still in Greece. And in many respects, I (and most I will say) modern Greeks are very different from the typical Greek-American who is represented by the movie's character (father). The Greeks who immigrated to the US in the beginning of the 20th century became entreched in the conservative Greek culture of the time (often as a defense to the difficulties they faced in the US) and never experienced the progress of the Greek culture in the mother country. Most old timers I have met in my community ((and often their children) are veryyyy conservative. Modern Greeks who immigrated like me to the US recently because of pursuing postgraduate education or marriage with a US citizen or whatever carry a different Greek (and much more modern) culture.
The Chinese have a similar generation thing going-on here in America. The older American Chinese in my city's Chinatown are still somewhat locked into the old Chinese ways of 50's & 60's China. The young Chinese that visit or immigrate here more recently are surprised to find this, as the elders in China have come along with the modernizing of China, while those elders here never modernized!

The first board I was on was the CNN political chat board-its been dead for years. Then the ABC board-it is gone too. My first handle was TerrapinStation. I was listening to a dead concert when I signed up. I changed it to TurtleDude later on because I kept getting asked what year I was at the University of Maryland.
Damn. TerrapinStation is a great nick!

Back around 2001-2002 or so I was still dependent upon my fallback skills in electronics and IT, so I wound up working at Lockheed Air Force Plant #4 in Fort Worth, TX. As this was a very high security defense plant and it was post 9/11, security was beyond tight.
Armed guards with AR-15's (or something similar), under-car mirrors, hood and trunk checks and every single ID scanned and checked every morning.
My first morning, I show up and give them my driver's license, and one of the more annoying guards decided he needed to give me a hard time.

"What the hell kinda license is this, you look like some kind of plaid terrorist.
Whaddo they call you back in Iran, Checkerboard Strangler?"

It stuck, I was "Mister Strangler" the entire time I worked at Lockheed.
I figure it sounds like the name of a blues band from Chicago.
You were wearing a plaid suit in 2002? You should let your wife buy your clothes.

You'd laugh if you knew how I got my username, but I'm in Witness Protection, so I can't tell you.

You'd laugh if you knew how I got my username, but I'm in Witness Protection, so I can't tell you.
So that is where Jimmy Hoffa went!

Back
Top Bottom