• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Republicans are winning over Hispanic voters in Texas: 'Democrat policies are failing them'

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

Grassroots efforts that are paying off. (y)
I've argued for a while how all Hispanics aren't the same. Those who get established want to escape the corruption of Latin America. They don't want to deal with future generations of their peers who come from that same corruption. Merely belonging to the same ethnic group doesn't mean they approve of their own immigrating illegally...

...especially because they're Catholic. Catholics judge people by who they are, not what they are.

If someone earns less than a few hundred thousand dollars a year and votes Republican, they are out of their mind.

That does not meant Democrats are the answer, the entire political system needs to be torn down...

But Republicans work for no one but their wealthy benefactors.

Voting for them is an act of madness unless one is wealthy.

They don't stand for freedom.

They don't stand for the economic well being of the vast majority of the citizenry.

And they are selling your future down the drain to make a quick buck.

The other problem is Hispanics don't get along with African Americans when it comes to this whole historical systemic prejudice model because Latin America explicitly abolished slavery while mandating Roman Catholicism in their early constitutions in contrast to the United States.

The idea of having to pay reparations for what's the exact opposite of their fault is infuriating.

Any group that engages the community and offers positive community events is going to see more results.

So should we focus more on community or individualism?

Hispanics are family oriented, they are work oriented, they are heavily Catholic, all these things conflict with many democrat policy positions. In addition I know a good many hispanic Americans, some born here some immigrants, and those here legally aren't crazy about all the illegal immigration.

The other problem is Hispanics don't get along with African Americans when it comes to this whole historical systemic prejudice model because Latin America explicitly abolished slavery while mandating Roman Catholicism in their early constitutions in contrast to the United States.

The idea of having to pay reparations for what's the exact opposite of their fault is infuriating.
That's a bizarre misreading of the history of slavery in the Americas.

If someone earns less than a few hundred thousand dollars a year and votes Republican, they are out of their mind.

That does not meant Democrats are the answer, the entire political system needs to be torn down...

They don't stand for the economic well being of the vast majority of the citizenry.

What Republicans stand for is letting Democrats forsake personal accountability and then blaming victims of abuse to deal with it and pull themselves up by their bootstraps. They don't practice what they preach when it comes to the rule of law because they embrace simple-minded anti-intellectualism which prevents them from having sophisticated legal positions.

Hence, aristocrats maintain control on power while meritocrats never get a real chance to succeed.

That's a bizarre misreading of the history of slavery in the Americas.
Are you saying when the Latin American wars of independence happened that they didn't distinguish themselves from the royalist oppression of the Spanish Empire?

Any group that engages the community and offers positive community events is going to see more results.

So should we focus more on community or individualism?
Are you suggesting communism or individualism? You realize the Republicans are a private organization, not govt? Think first, speak second.

I think the threshold between the have and the have nots is much lower. Once household income hits $80,000, and certainly by $150,000, there's a great potential to keep expenses low and invest the rest. This allows fairly easy escape out of the 'paycheck to paycheck' grind.

Idiotic take, there isn't even an agreed-upon model for how reparations would even take place much less any ACTUAL political momentum for reparations.

Are you suggesting communism or individualism? You realize the Republicans are a private organization, not govt? Think first, speak second.

What's wrong with the government being in charge of more community centers and events? And communism - like when the government backed police do a neighborhood BBQ to engage the citizens? :rolleyes:

I am going to disagree with your "If someone earns less than a few hundred thousand dollars a year and votes Republican, they are out of their mind." statement.

I voted for the democratic nominee for AZ senate, Krysten Sinema in the last election. I was wrong to vote for her. She is a nightmare who would not know the truth if it hit her in the face. If you think I am out of my mind, take a look at what she has done since assuming office. Nothing but lies and treachery. Instead of damning an entire political party with a blanket statement you should look at the record of each individual and determine who is the best choice. Even then sometimes you will still get fooled. I did.

Here is a lesson I learned a while ago, maybe you can glean some knowledge from it, I did;

"Blanket statements are never useful. They are nebulous and often send the wrong message. They seed doubt and mistrust and are usually intended to make a grand point about how right the person making the statement might be. They tend to be self-serving even when outwardly it doesn’t appear that way. In other words, we make blanket statements because we want to make a point that makes us look right and therefore look good in the position we are taking."

Hispanics are family oriented, they are work oriented, they are heavily Catholic, all these things conflict with many democrat policy positions. In addition I know a good many hispanic Americans, some born here some immigrants, and those here legally aren't crazy about all the illegal immigration.

Exactly!

Two of my oldest and best friends are of Mexican descent.

The first's father came to America and enlisted into the Marines back during the Vietnam War Era. There was a program that fast-tracked immigrants who joined active military service and completed that service honorably.

The second, BOTH parents were Mexican's who had work permits to work on American farms and joined Cezar Chavev's NFWU, later to merge with the UFW. They worked here and eventually achieved US Citizenship the legal way.

Neither sets of parents were for mass migration or illegal immigration. They were conservative, and church-going people.

Idiotic take, there isn't even an agreed-upon model for how reparations would even take place much less any ACTUAL political momentum for reparations.
Reparations is a figurative notion. Any social program that gives some an opportunity before others is still a form of reparations. Hispanics don't appreciate having African Americans come before them for something that they didn't cause.

It's the same problem Italian, Irish, Polish, and South German Catholics have been arguing for generations, but African Americans know they're stuck in big tent politics with feminists, so they can't go after the Southern Baptist Convention and Old School Presbyterianism since that would step on the toes of anti-patriarchic freedom of religion.

Being Latino (Puerto Rican), I grew up with certain rules: Latino = Catholic + Democrat. It was not up for discussion or debate. Boy have things changed. I still remember how my mother clutched her pearls and sighed "Oh, Meho" when I announced that I was voting for Reagan. Voting for a Republican just wasn't done. Now about 75% of my family votes conservative, and the momentum is growing.

BTW: I know it is not done with malice, but some people are painting with a broad brush here. Latinos are a very diverse group just like everyone else. Statements that contain words like "Hispanics are" or "Hispanics don't" are cringe worthy.

That and leading Dems like Biden and Sanders calling for normalizing relations with the commie government in Cuba.

Being Latino (Puerto Rican), I grew up with certain rules: Latino = Catholic + Democrat. It was not up for discussion or debate. Boy have things changed. I still remember how my mother clutched her pearls and sighed "Oh, Meho" when I announced that I was voting for Reagan. Voting for a Republican just wasn't done. Now about 75% of my family votes conservative, and the momentum is growing.

BTW: I know it is not done with malice, but some people are painting with a broad brush here. Latinos are a very diverse group just like everyone else. Statements that contain words like "Hispanics are" or "Hispanics don't" are cringe worthy.
Yep. It's in absolute mistake to think of any voting group as a monolith. In the case of Latinos there are all sorts of nuances that impact political lean. Looking at it from a generational perspective, the older ones tend to have more socially conservative views versus the second generation that lean more liberal. Looking at it from a political recruitment perspective, there are definitely inroads for the GOP to make, but the problem has often been that the inclusion in that party hasn't been the best. If you're Latino, you want to see the party you support look more representative of population, and what hasn't helped are aspects of xenophobia in some of the GOP.

Back
Top Bottom