• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Republicans are trying to strip power from Democratic governors-elect

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.

12/4/18
Republicans are about to lose their grip on power in a number of states, and they’re trying their hardest to sour Democrats’ election wins. In Wisconsin, Republican Gov. Scott Walker will have to pass the baton to Democrat Tony Evers come January, but before he does, the state’s GOP-controlled legislature has called for an “extraordinary session” to curb Evers’s power in office and potentially make it harder for Democrats to get elected in the future. A similar tale is playing out in Michigan, where Democrats Gretchen Whitmer, Dana Nessel, and Jocelyn Benson handily won the governor, attorney general, and secretary of state races, respectively. Michigan Republicans are trying to make sure the Democratic trifecta has less power to undermine Republicans’ legislative accomplishments. The state governments have proposed a slate of bills that would touch everything from voting access to the judicial system. In Wisconsin, the proposals, some of which are expected to pass Tuesday, could limit Evers’s power to change policies around welfare, health care, and economic development, cut down early voting, and even allow the Republican-led legislature to hire their own lawyers to undermine the attorney general.

As with voter-suppression and cockneyed gerrymandering tactics, the GOP can't win without cheating at every level.

It's abundantly obvious that the GOP is the antithesis of a fair and functional democracy.

Elections have consequences. The Dems got their butts kicked for eight years and must deal with it. If and when they control the legislatures in these states, they can undo the GOP laws and impose their own gerrymandering.

Elections have consequences. The Dems got their butts kicked for eight years and must deal with it. If and when they control the legislatures in these states, they can undo the GOP laws and impose their own gerrymandering.

So you're okay with Republicans' going for naked power grabs. Got it.

I'll remember this while California continues to pass progressive legislation with supermajorities in both legislative houses.

As with voter-suppression and cockneyed gerrymandering tactics, the GOP can't win without cheating at every level.

It's abundantly obvious that the GOP is the antithesis of a fair and functional democracy.

Same thing happened in NC a couple of years ago.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/95555182

Anyone who says Dems are the only dirty tricksters is full of crap.

I don't know how much clearer it can get that Republicans despise Democracy.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

I’m not much for Argument by Hypothetical, but I can say with absolute, ironclad certainty that you would be singing a different tune if it were Democrats changing the rules to hamstring Republicans.

I guess then you haven't seen the ballot harvesting in California ... still counting.
Both parties had agreed to this "ballot harvesting" deal, but I think they forgot to add a time limit. (grin)
Dems took it to a new level where ballots are still being harvested and "trucked" in and counted.

orange-county-600x329.jpg

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ers-dont-add-up-one-precinct-has-120-turnout/

https://www.americanthinker.com/blo...ed_democrats_to_walk_off_with_california.html

I’m not much for Argument by Hypothetical, but I can say with absolute, ironclad certainty that you would be singing a different tune if it were Democrats changing the rules to hamstring Republicans.

Don't like the state election results? No problemo. Simply pass legislation to hamstring the victor.

When your peeps get back in power (because the previous dude was handcuffed and couldn't deliver), change the legislation back again.

And for good measure, enact all sorts of voter registration flaming-hoops. The GOP Way.

Don't like the state election results? No problemo. Simply pass legislation to hamstring the victor.

When your peeps get back in power (because the previous dude was handcuffed and couldn't deliver), change the legislation back again.

And for good measure, enact all sorts of voter registration flaming-hoops. The GOP Way.

It's moves like this that forced me to abandon the GOP and what make it easy to have never once questioned the move. Thank goodness I don't have to try to defend this kind of BS anymore.

What they're essentially doing is refusing to honor a peaceful transition of power. They are thwarting the will of the electorate. Trying to rewrite the rules because they're cowards.

I can see why you'd support that.

Yes, they do, and the GOP are trying to change the rules midstream, after they lost several elections, to overturn the will of the majority who voted in new leaders. It's a naked power grab.

What's so sad is those remaining in the GOP have to find some way to do like you're doing and defend the indefensible, defend actions you must know at some level you would condemn if the shoe was on the other foot.

Except when coming into office eight years ago incoming Gov Walker asked that the outgoing Dem Gov not continue efforts to negotiate new union contracts as the "will of the people" need be respected.

Now eight years later suddenly the "will of the people" does not matter. Nice, real nice. No wonder Lying Dog Donald fits right into the GOP.

And their constituency are such dumb, selfish a holes that they will defend and condone this behavior becuase who cares, they are getting what they want. if it was reversed, these schmucks would be crying bloody murder

I'll remember this while California continues to pass progressive legislation with supermajorities in both legislative houses.

I don’t think Cali needs more progressive legislation, their house is the poster (boy) and twelve other genders wearing knitted pink hats that is the mess. As for the OP, It’s called politics.

Yes, they do, and the GOP are trying to change the rules midstream, after they lost several elections, to overturn the will of the majority who voted in new leaders. It's a naked power grab.

What's so sad is those remaining in the GOP have to find some way to do like you're doing and defend the indefensible, defend actions you must know at some level you would condemn if the shoe was on the other foot.

It's easy for him to make a show of standing on his alleged principle when he gains by it.

What’s abundantly obvious is the deflection with the 180 done by the (D’s) for dummies and (LL) form the lunatic left. It’s always comical for me that the very thing they are whining about is exactly what they are doing or have done. It’s an easy script to write and the lemmings fall for it each and every time then regurgitate with the typical whining, as with the OP.

What’s abundantly obvious is the deflection with the 180 done by the (D’s) for dummies and (LL) form the lunatic left. It’s always comical for me that the very thing they are whining about is exactly what they are doing or have done. It’s an easy script to write and the lemmings fall for it each and every time then regurgitate with the typical whining, as with the OP.

Examples?

Thanks!

I don’t think Cali needs more progressive legislation, their house is the poster (boy) and twelve other genders wearing knitted pink hats that is the mess.

Cha-ching! :mrgreen:

As for the OP, It’s called politics.

In other words, it's okay when the Republicans do it.

CA is on the road to disaster. They are creating a feudal society with the elites on one end and the homeless and poor on the other with nothing between. It's regressive, not progressive.

No doubt. I don't deny it but this is where we are. Dems were gerrymandering long before the GOP even knew what the word meant so complaining about it now is a bit absurd.

"“This is just the legislature, after losing the election somewhat surprisingly, deciding they don’t they want an attorney general from the opposing party,” says Barry Burden, a political scientist from the University of Wisconsin Madison. “That’s just nullifying the election results.”"

Horrifying....deja vu all over again......

Don’t Just Impeach Trump. Annul His Presidency.

One cannot abide this lawlessness and expect different treatment when the wheel turns......

Back
Top Bottom