• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Republicans Are Laying the Groundwork to Steal Future Elections

Razoo

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Why in the world are you posting that right-wing propaganda trash that promotes a right-wing coup by calling the prevention of one a left-wing coup?

Correction:​

www.vtlnews.com › the-coming-coup-inside-the'The Coming Coup': Inside the Republican effort to steal ...

‘The Coming Coup’: Inside the Republican effort to steal future elections Mother Jones reporter Ari Berman warns the Republican Party is laying the groundwork to steal the 2022 midterms and

‘The Coming Coup’: Inside the Republican effort to steal future elections Mother Jones reporter Ari Berman warns the Republican Party is laying the groundwork to steal the 2022 midterms and

You didn't answer my question; did you read your link? Did you just see it mention a 'coming coup' and grab it not realizing it was claiming that Democrats preventing trump's coup was a Democratic coup?

You didn't answer my question; did you read your link? Did you just see it mention a 'coming coup' and grab it not realizing it was claiming that Democrats preventing trump's coup was a Democratic coup?
not realizing it was claiming that Democrats preventing trump's coup was a Democratic coup? yes

did you see my correction

did you see my correction
I saw you post a new much better link, but not respond about the first one - I think you now confirmed it was a mistake. Your first and third links are good.

In a nutshell ......

But what’s happening instead is this: In key battleground states still under GOP control such as Georgia and Texas, the party is removing the civil servants who confirm who has won and replacing them with party loyalists. I am not making this up.

They are replacing the refs with their own players. That way if the other side wins, they can site some evidence of voter fraud — there’s always some small error in a statewide election — and throw out the results. And because the ultimate power to select delegates to the Electoral College belongs to the state legislatures, they can simply send an alternative slate of delegates who will vote the party line.

A posting on Twitter from the Arizona Republican Party on Dec. 14, 2020, showed the Republican electors meeting to cast their votes for Donald Trump, falsely claiming they were the state's true electors.
I feel half-crazy even writing these words, but this is exactly what is going on right now. Not in Egypt or El Salvador. In America.

The point of a coup is to overturn the lawful government and replace it with one of the insurrectionists’ choosing. President Donald Trump’s supporters tried this the old-fashioned way on Jan. 6, 2021, and failed. Now they’re doing it a new way. A smarter and more sinister way.

If you’re like me, you may have thought that the Jan. 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol was carried out by fringe elements and far-right extremists. It wasn’t. SO WHO GOT DUPED? We now know from the more than 700 people who have been charged and arrested that the vast majority of insurrectionists were mainstream Republicans. Many college-educated and white-collar workers. Many with their own businesses.

The common denominator was a deeply held belief that the 2020 presidential election was stolen (a belief shared by the majority of registered Republicans despite a battalion of GOP judges ruling otherwise) and a willingness to use all means necessary to right that wrong.

If you’re willing to take up arms against your own government, it’s a baby step to cheat in order to win the next election.

THE FOLKS WHO SET UP THIS INSURRECTION WERE NOT AROUND TO GET ARRESTED ON SITE. INSTEAD THEY SET UP OTHERS TO TAKE THE RAP........ AS I SEE IT. BOUGHT INTO THE LIE.

Last edited:

Demanding that people who claim they are qualified to vote actually SHOW they are qualified to vote?

Why, the nerve of these folks!

Demanding that people who claim they are qualified to vote actually SHOW they are qualified to vote?

what do you show?

www.vtlnews.com › the-coming-coup-inside-the'The Coming Coup': Inside the Republican effort to steal ...

Mother Jones reporter Ari Berman warns the Republican Party is laying the groundwork to steal the 2022 midterms and future elections through a combination of gerrymandering, voter suppression and election subversion, that together pose a mortal threat to voting rights in the United States. Republicans, many of whom are election deniers, are campaigning for positions that hold immense oversight over the election process. “What’s really new here are these efforts to take over how votes are counted,” says Berman. “That is the ultimate voter suppression method, because if you’re not able to rig the election on the front end, you can throw out votes on that back end.”

This is a rush transcript. Copy may not be in its final form.

AMY GOODMAN: President Biden is meeting with Senate Democrats on Capitol Hill today for a lunchtime meeting to push for rewriting Senate rules to prevent Republicans from filibustering a pair of major voting rights bills — the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act and the Freedom to Vote Act. On Wednesday, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer outlined a plan to bring the voting bills to a debate using a parliamentary maneuver, but the move would still leave room for Republicans to block final passage of the bills using the filibuster. Two Senate Democrats have so far refused to support changing the filibuster rules: Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona.

READ: GOP’s ‘constant self-radicalization’ could make majority rule impossible: analysis

Biden went to Capitol Hill two days after he gave a major speech on voting rights in Atlanta, Georgia. On Wednesday, Senate Republican Minority Leader Mitch McConnell blasted Biden’s remarks.

MINORITY LEADER MITCH McCONNELL: Twelve months ago, this president said disagreement must not lead to disunion. Ah, but yesterday he invoked the bloody disunion of the Civil War — the Civil War — to demonize Americans who disagree with him. He compared — listen to this — a bipartisan majority of senators to literal traitors. How profoundly, profoundly unpresidential.
AMY GOODMAN: Democrats are increasingly concerned that Republicans will be able to successfully steal future elections, both on the national and state level, if major voting rights legislation is not immediately passed. During his speech in Atlanta, President Biden made reference to efforts by Donald Trump and his supporters to overturn the 2020 election.

PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN: We’re here today to stand against the forces in America that value power over principle, forces that attempted a coup — a coup against the legally expressed will of the American people — by sowing doubt, inventing charges of fraud and seeking to steal the 2020 election from the people.
AMY GOODMAN: We’re joined now by Ari Berman, a senior reporter at Mother Jones covering voting rights. He’s the author of Give Us the Ballot: The Modern Struggle for Voting Rights in America. His new piece, out just today, “The Coming Coup: How Republicans Are Laying the Groundwork to Steal Future Elections.”

READ: ‘Tyranny of the minority’: DC insider torches Brett Kavanaugh

Ari, I want to start off by talking about what this maneuver is — very complex, I’m sure very hard for people to understand — how the Democrats try to plan to get these bills on the floor and voted on in the Senate.

Last edited:
ARI BERMAN: Good morning, Amy.

Well, the plan is that the House is taking a bill, and they are putting the two voting rights bills — the Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act — in what’s essentially a shell bill. They are going to pass that today and send it to the Senate. And that will allow the Senate to immediately debate the bill without needing 60 votes to get it to the floor. They will still need 60 votes to pass the bill if they don’t reform the filibuster, but this will allow at least the Senate to immediately begin debating the bill, probably Friday or Saturday, and then set up a vote on these bills, and also potentially changing the Senate rules, on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

AMY GOODMAN: Which, of course, is Monday. I mean, this is really unusual. It’s a bill completely unrelated, something to do with NASA, that the House will pass. Then they will remove the text of that and put the two bills into it, and it’s called a message, that will be sent to the Senate, as they do this. So, then, what has to happen next? And why are Manchin and Sinema key at the point in the Senate?

ARI BERMAN: Yeah, and it’s important to remember, Amy, these bills have already passed the House. So it’s not like the House hasn’t taken up the Freedom to Vote Act or the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act already. They just have to do this message bill to get it to the Senate to essentially avoid 60 votes on debate. That’s the only way that Schumer will be able to then have a debate on the bills themselves and on the rules changes.

Manchin and Sinema are key because there’s essentially 48 votes for changing the Senate rules to pass voting rights legislation, but they’re two votes short, and the two votes that are short are Manchin and Sinema. And Democrats have been working feverishly, both publicly and behind the scenes, to get Manchin and Sinema to support the rules changes, but they’re not there yet. It’s important to remember, this voting rights bill, the Freedom to Vote Act, this is Joe Manchin’s bill. This is not like Build Back Better, where he doesn’t support the bill. He supports these bills. The question is: Is he willing to change the rules to pass them? And as of now, the answer is no.

AMY GOODMAN: During his speech on Tuesday in Atlanta, President Biden made reference to Strom Thurmond, the longtime segregationist senator who served in the Senate for nearly half a century.

PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN: In 2006, the Voting Rights Act passed 390 to 33 in the House of Representatives and 98 to 0 in the Senate, with votes from 16 current sitting Republicans in this United States Senate. Sixteen of them voted to extend it. The last year I was chairman, as some of my friends sitting down here will tell you, Strom Thurmond voted to extend the Voting Rights Act. Strom Thurmond. … Think about that. The man who led the longest — one of the longest filibusters in history in the United States Senate in 1957 against the Voting [sic] Rights Act, the man who led and sided with the old Southern bulls in the United States Senate to perpetuate segregation in this nation — even Strom Thurmond came to support voting rights. But Republicans today can’t and won’t. Not a single Republican has displayed the courage to stand up to a defeated president to protect America’s right to vote. Not one. Not one.

Last edited:
AMY GOODMAN: So, Ari Berman, it looks like President Biden was trying to cut through all the bureaucracy, as they talk about filibusters and everything else, and just say, “Which side are you on?” Right? Strom Thurmond or John Lewis? Are you on the side of Jefferson Davis or Abraham Lincoln?

ARI BERMAN: Exactly, Amy. He was trying to frame the fight for voting rights in moral terms, much like Lyndon Johnson did when he introduced the Voting Rights Act in 1965, saying, “This is a defining moment in American history, and you have to pick a side.” You can’t just praise Martin Luther King on Martin Luther King Day; you have to live the values that Martin Luther King fought for — namely, the values of the right to vote, which Martin Luther King called “civil right number one.”

And I thought it was really interesting what the president said about Republicans previously supporting voting rights, because the Voting Rights Act was reauthorized four times, and every reauthorization was signed by a Republican president and supported by overwhelming bipartisan majorities in Congress. Now, that didn’t mean every Republicans like the Voting Rights Act. Lots of GOP presidents, like Nixon and Reagan, didn’t want to sign a reauthorization of the Voting Rights Act. But there was such a strong bipartisan consensus for these bills that Republicans had no choice but to support them. And that’s really evaporated. And obviously, so much of the attention has been on the Democrats and been on Manchin and Sinema to use their power to pass these bills, but Republicans have sort of gotten a free pass in terms of people really saying, “How come you reauthorized the Voting Rights Act overwhelmingly in 2006 — 390 to 33 in the House, 98 to 0 in the Senate — Mitch McConnell led the effort to reauthorize the Voting Rights Act — and just two decades later, you are completely opposing a bill that you basically supported not too long ago?”

AMY GOODMAN: So, let’s go broader, with your piece that was just released as we went to air, “The Coming Coup: How Republicans Are Laying the Groundwork to Steal Future Elections.” You go beyond the issue of actually casting the ballot and how difficult that is — and you can lay that out — around the country, as well, increasingly, 19 states passing, what, more than 30 laws to restrict voting, but then the issue, for example, of gerrymandering and others.

any election they lose going forward will be the result of stealing or fraud or both in their minds, not because they lost fairly and squarely like 2020.

That's the least of what they're doing.

What if a state didn't even have to have a presidential election? The electoral college electors are chosen by the state legislature. That is what those red state legislatures intend to do!

Electors belong exclusively to the states
under the constitution of the United States.” We have no uniform national system for appointing Electors, which means the legislatures do not have to consult the public at all. When members of the Florida legislature in 2000 threatened to abandon the results of the statewide popular contest and appoint Electors for a particular candidate, the Supreme Court in Bush v. Gore (2000) appeared to endorse their power to do so by denying that citizens have a constitutional right to vote in presidential elections. As the majority put it, “The individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote for Electors for the President of the United States. . .” When it comes to presidential elections, the voters are at the mercy of the state legislatures.

what do you show?

My photo ID Driver's license.

I also sign the ledger they keep.

The attendant compares my photo on my license to my face and the signature they watched me write to the one they have on file.

They also check to assure that the address on the license matches the one on file to assure that I'm voting in the correct location. You know, they do their job.

They check to see if I am qualified to vote.

What do you show?

Last edited:

The attendant compares my photo on my license to my face and the signature they watched me write to the one they have on file.

They also check to assure that the address on the license matches the one on file to assure that I'm voting in the correct location. You know, they do their job.

What do you show?

And you ignore the previous post

We’re past the groundwork. It’s basically a done deal. Republican state legislatures nationwide are taking the composition of the electoral college out of the hands of the voters and changing it to themselves. So would the far right Supreme Court try to stop them? Of course not! They will hide behind the excuse of “originalism” with respect to the Constitution, which does indeed say that the final determination of electors is up to the state legislatures. So there you have it. Corrupt Repubs at the state level and a corrupt and a politicized far right Supreme Court. Result: there will never be another Democratic President. Welcome to the Koch Brothers Paradise.

We’re past the groundwork. It’s basically a done deal. Republican state legislatures nationwide are taking the composition of the electoral college out of the hands of the voters and changing it to themselves. So would the far right Supreme Court try to stop them? Of course not! They will hide behind the excuse of “originalism” with respect to the Constitution, which does indeed say that the final determination of electors is up to the state legislatures. So there you have it. Corrupt Repubs at the state level and a corrupt and a politicized far right Supreme Court. Result: there will never be another Democratic President. Welcome to the Koch Brothers Paradise.
It's amazing how few Democrats on this board seem to understand this.

I just read an article today about Majorlie Taylor Greene's district in northwest GA. The election board in Rome, GA has been completely dismantled, replaced by total Trumpster stooges. That is happening all over GA and TX.

The future is extremely dark for this country unless the Democrats can somehow find a way to keep control of Congress in 2022 and expand their majorities, in order to address Jim Crow 2.0. If they don't, the Democrats will never have power at the Federal level again after 2024.

It's amazing hardly any elected democrats are speaking of this ........ .... shouldn't Biden be pointing this out?

What do you show?
Why the hell is is the Republican Party calling for special ID? You did not need it.

Back
Top Bottom