• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Reproductive Coercion Forces Women To Get Pregnant

OceanBlues1

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Contrary to what many prolifers believe, that "nobody forces women to get pregnant," which has actually been stated on DP recently, there are ways that do force some women to become pregnant. Reproductive Coercion is one of them, and I consider it a form of abuse.

Below is a quote from a 2018 article from Buzzfeed.com, which provides stories from women who have experienced it by controlling male partners. I've only included a quote about the first story.

These Women Have Shared Their Stories Of Reproductive Coercion

Controlling partners aren't the only factors that can limit reproductive autonomy.

by Gina Rushton, Buzzfeed News Reporter, Australia | December 3, 2018

Article Quote:

|"Sydney woman Anna said her marriage was “healthy and equal” except when it came to the subject of family planning. Her husband wanted kids as soon as possible but she wanted to establish her career first. “As our relationship progressed, he became more demanding of me having children,” she said in a white paper on reproductive coercion released last week by national not-for-profit sexual and reproductive health service provider Marie Stopes Australia.

“When I reached 30 it intensified, when I achieved a promotion at work, his demands further increased,” Anna, one of the women who shared her story under a pseudonym, said. “His behaviour really took me by surprise and made me feel like I had no choice. I had to get pregnant.”

Reproductive coercion is any behavior that deliberately prevents a person from making decisions about their reproductive health. It includes contraceptive sabotage; pressuring another person into falling pregnant, continuing a pregnancy, or ending a pregnancy; or forcing a person into sterilization.

Anna said she would take the contraceptive pill without telling her husband because she didn't want to become pregnant. Eventually when she stopped using contraception and gave in to getting pregnant, her husband “directed everything” and it was tiring. “He wanted to have sex every day, sometimes several times a day,” she said. “I felt like I was on this merry-go-round and that the best thing for me to do was to just be compliant.”

Her pregnancy was “overshadowed by the rage and aggression” of her husband, she said. When she miscarried, Anna said, her husband was “great” at first but then became “single-mindedly focused on trying for another baby”. “My body and my mind were just not ready for another pregnancy,” she said. I felt like I had lost all safety in my body.”

Anna said she felt worthless and that her only purpose in her marriage was to procreate. The couple are separated right now and Anna said her husband maintains that to fix their relationship she needs to “give him children”. "|

Personally, I believe stories like the above directly contradict the claim that "nobody forces women to get pregnant." Apparently, there are people who do.

Contrary to what many prolifers believe, that "nobody forces women to get pregnant," which has actually been stated on DP recently, there are ways that do force some women to become pregnant. Reproductive Coercion is one of them, and I consider it a form of abuse.
Personally, I believe stories like the above directly contradict the claim that "nobody forces women to get pregnant." Apparently, there are people who

Glad you brought up the subject. It's not uncommon.

"Reproductive coercion"
Reproductive coercion within the past 3 months has been reported by 5-14% of women in family planning clinic settings[1][5] and lifetime experience has been reported by 8-30% of women in a range of settings in the US.
Reproductive coercion - Wikipedia

"Reproductive and Sexual Coercion"
ABSTRACT: Reproductive and sexual coercion involves behavior intended to maintain power and control in a relationship related to reproductive health by someone who is, was, or wishes to be involved in an intimate or dating relationship with an adult or adolescent. This behavior includes explicit attempts to impregnate a partner against her will, control outcomes of a pregnancy, coerce a partner to have unprotected sex, and interfere with contraceptive methods. Obstetrician–gynecologists are in a unique position to address reproductive and sexual coercion and provide screening and clinical interventions to improve health outcomes.
Reproductive and Sexual Coercion | ACOG

"Reproductive coercion and partner violence: implications for clinical assessment of unintended pregnancy"
Reproductive coercion and partner violence: implications for clinical assessment of unintended pregnancy

Below is a quote from a 2018 article from Buzzfeed.com, which provides stories from women who have experienced it by controlling male partners. I've only included a quote about the first story.

Controlling partners aren't the only factors that can limit reproductive autonomy.

Article Quote:

|"Sydney woman Anna said her marriage was “healthy and equal” except when it came to the subject of family planning. Her husband wanted kids as soon as possible but she wanted to establish her career first. “As our relationship progressed, he became more demanding of me having children,” she said in a white paper on reproductive coercion released last week by national not-for-profit sexual and reproductive health service provider Marie Stopes Australia.

“When I reached 30 it intensified, when I achieved a promotion at work, his demands further increased,” Anna, one of the women who shared her story under a pseudonym, said. “His behaviour really took me by surprise and made me feel like I had no choice. I had to get pregnant.”

Reproductive coercion is any behavior that deliberately prevents a person from making decisions about their reproductive health. It includes contraceptive sabotage; pressuring another person into falling pregnant, continuing a pregnancy, or ending a pregnancy; or forcing a person into sterilization.

Anna said she would take the contraceptive pill without telling her husband because she didn't want to become pregnant. Eventually when she stopped using contraception and gave in to getting pregnant, her husband “directed everything” and it was tiring. “He wanted to have sex every day, sometimes several times a day,” she said. “I felt like I was on this merry-go-round and that the best thing for me to do was to just be compliant.”

Her pregnancy was “overshadowed by the rage and aggression” of her husband, she said. When she miscarried, Anna said, her husband was “great” at first but then became “single-mindedly focused on trying for another baby”. “My body and my mind were just not ready for another pregnancy,” she said. I felt like I had lost all safety in my body.”

Anna said she felt worthless and that her only purpose in her marriage was to procreate. The couple are separated right now and Anna said her husband maintains that to fix their relationship she needs to “give him children”. "|

Personally, I believe stories like the above directly contradict the claim that "nobody forces women to get pregnant." Apparently, there are people who do.

Thanks for posting this.

Glad you brought up the subject. It's not uncommon.

"Reproductive and Sexual Coercion"
ABSTRACT: Reproductive and sexual coercion involves behavior intended to maintain power and control in a relationship related to reproductive health by someone who is, was, or wishes to be involved in an intimate or dating relationship with an adult or adolescent. This behavior includes explicit attempts to impregnate a partner against her will, control outcomes of a pregnancy, coerce a partner to have unprotected sex, and interfere with contraceptive methods. Obstetrician–gynecologists are in a unique position to address reproductive and sexual coercion and provide screening and clinical interventions to improve health outcomes.
Reproductive and Sexual Coercion | ACOG

Another Quote from ACOG site:

"The most common forms of reproductive coercion include sabotage of contraceptive methods, pregnancy coercion, and pregnancy pressure.

Birth control sabotage is active interference with a partner’s contraceptive methods in an attempt to promote pregnancy. Examples include hiding, withholding, or destroying a partner’s oral contraceptives; breaking or poking holes in a condom on purpose or removing a condom during sex in an attempt to promote pregnancy, not withdrawing when that was the agreed upon method of contraception, and removing vaginal rings, contraceptive patches, or intrauterine devices (IUDs).

Pregnancy pressure involves behavior intended to pressure a female partner to become pregnant when she does not wish to become pregnant."

I think more women need to be aware of this, and be very careful, both about safeguarding their birth control and about the personal views of any guy they're thinking of dating.

What You Should Know about Reproductive Coercion | Teen Vogue

What You Should Know about Reproductive Coercion
It's a form of abuse.

BY EMMA SARRAN WEBSTER

OCTOBER 23, 2019

Quote from Teen Vogue Article:

"With reproductive coercion, Tucker explains, the abuser uses a future child (or the possibility of one) to gain power, such as the power to keep the victim in the relationship. “Often what we see abusers think is, ‘This child will keep us locked into this relationship together. It will make it easier for me to maintain control over this person and know what they do all the time,’” she says.

And regardless of the exact methods used or whether or not it happens within an established relationship, reproductive coercion is abuse — despite the fact that, Tucker says, many people don’t see it that way. “People have a very narrow view of what abuse is in a relationship,” she says. “Abuse in a relationship goes much further than just physically abusing someone. The ability to control someone's emotions, to control their station in life, to control their jobs...all of those...are examples [of abuse]. Reproductive abuse and coercion really gets to controlling someone's body in a way that is extremely harmful. [...] We never see a situation, or at least I haven't, where reproductive coercion is something that is being done for a good or altruistic purpose, because that just doesn't really exist.”

I seriously doubt that reproductive coercion is limited to "guys who won't commit," despite some implications or claims to the contrary. There are married reproductive abusers too, and I think it's even worse for women who are married to those guys.

Article Quote:

That story doesn't sound anything like coercion. It sounds more like a couple that was incompatible and should have split up sooner.

That story doesn't sound anything like coercion. It sounds more like a couple that was incompatible and should have split up sooner.

That's because coercion is a male sacrament

That's because coercion is a male sacrament

Women should have equal rights. That also means having equal responsibility, including the responsibility to stand up for one's self in a relationship.

Women should have equal rights. That also means having equal responsibility, including the responsibility to stand up for one's self in a relationship.

And risk a more physical type of coercion?

If the woman's husband or boyfriend is either throwing her birth control away or sabotaging it without her knowledge, how is she to "stand up for herself" against that? Seems to me that you want to blame the woman for something that the man was purposely doing.

More physical than being impregnated against your will?

Well, let's see, I'd consider a BEATING from an abusive husband or boyfriend, to be more physical. Wouldn't you?

Article Quote:

What is the purpose of your post?

To counter the prolife claim that "nobody forces women to get pregnant." As this article shows, to my satisfaction anyway, Reproductive Coercion is one of the ways that can and do force women to become pregnant. That's what the purpose of my post is, since you asked.

"Women don't have to get pregnant if they don't want to"
"Reproductive coercion within the past 3 months has been reported by 5-14% of women in family planning clinic settings""8 to 30% during a lifetime.

Below is another article on Reproductive Coercion.

Reproductive coercion - the silent abuse | Stuff.co.nz

Reproductive coercion - the silent abuse

Bess Manson 05:00 | Oct 15 2018

Article Quote:
"Anne's* controlling partner was so intent on getting her pregnant he tossed her contraceptive pills in the rubbish. In her desperate attempt to avoid pregnancy, she secretly visited her doctor to have an IUD fitted. "It was fine for a while until he discovered it. He then forcefully ripped it out of me. Once I fell pregnant, he refused to let me have an abortion," she says. Anne managed to escape from her violent partner. But in the muted world of partner violence, many are suffering in silence.

Because Anne's story is not unique. Her voice is just one of many describing violent and sinister abuse in a report by Women's Refuge and Family Planning released today. The report stems from a survey into reproductive coercion – a form of intimate partner violence where a person tries to undermine the reproductive autonomy of their partner, including denying their access to contraceptives, birth-control sabotage, pressure to get pregnant and controlled access to abortion.

It is a sorrowful and horrific collection of anecdotes shared by 161 (mostly) women."

*Names have been changed.

So, from what I have read in these articles and reports, the claim that "nobody forces women to get pregnant" is, apparently, a false one.

Article Quote:

She isn't pregnant. So she wasn't forced to get pregnant.

"Women don't have to get pregnant if they don't want to"
"Reproductive coercion within the past 3 months has been reported by 5-14% of women in family planning clinic settings""8 to 30% during a lifetime.

And you believe them of course.

Well, let's see, I'd consider a BEATING from an abusive husband or boyfriend, to be more physical. Wouldn't you?

Your article said nothing about "beatings" or force of any kind being used.

I'm saving a special spot in my prayers for your wife.

More than 22 years she seems pretty happy. Interesting to see you so judgmental about the state of someone's marriage that you don't even know.

Back
Top Bottom