• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Reproductive Coercion Forces Women To Get Pregnant

Another Quote from ACOG site:

"The most common forms of reproductive coercion include sabotage of contraceptive methods, pregnancy coercion, and pregnancy pressure.

Birth control sabotage is active interference with a partner’s contraceptive methods in an attempt to promote pregnancy. Examples include hiding, withholding, or destroying a partner’s oral contraceptives; breaking or poking holes in a condom on purpose or removing a condom during sex in an attempt to promote pregnancy, not withdrawing when that was the agreed upon method of contraception, and removing vaginal rings, contraceptive patches, or intrauterine devices (IUDs).

Pregnancy pressure involves behavior intended to pressure a female partner to become pregnant when she does not wish to become pregnant."

I think more women need to be aware of this, and be very careful, both about safeguarding their birth control and about the personal views of any guy they're thinking of dating.

Don't you think people should discuss whether they want children, and when, before they get married? That's a pretty big discussion to have, right? Woman who don't want to have kids shouldn't marry men who do and vice versa.

More than 22 years she seems pretty happy. Interesting to see you so judgmental about the state of someone's marriage that you don't even know.

Says the gentleman that wants to interfere with the lives of women he has never met.

Don't you think people should discuss whether they want children, and when, before they get married? That's a pretty big discussion to have, right? Woman who don't want to have kids shouldn't marry men who do and vice versa.

Yes, to both questions. What has either of them to do with Reproductive Coercion? Or do you believe guys who want kids have the "right" to either throw away or sabotage their partner's birth control without their knowledge? :roll:

Your article said nothing about "beatings" or force of any kind being used.

This article says plenty, in my view at least. Pay close attention to the words in bold under "Article Quote," you'll see what I mean.

Reproductive coercion - the silent abuse | Stuff.co.nz

Reproductive coercion - the silent abuse

Bess Manson 05:00 | Oct 15 2018

Article Quote:
"Anne's* controlling partner was so intent on getting her pregnant he tossed her contraceptive pills in the rubbish. In her desperate attempt to avoid pregnancy, she secretly visited her doctor to have an IUD fitted. 'It was fine for a while until he discovered it. He then forcefully ripped it out of me. Once I fell pregnant, he refused to let me have an abortion,' she says. Anne managed to escape from her violent partner. But in the muted world of partner violence, many are suffering in silence."

Last edited:
To counter the prolife claim that "nobody forces women to get pregnant." As this article shows, to my satisfaction anyway, Reproductive Coercion is one of the ways that can and do force women to become pregnant. That's what the purpose of my post is, since you asked.

What percent of pregnancies are represented by the idea you present?

"Women don't have to get pregnant if they don't want to"
"Reproductive coercion within the past 3 months has been reported by 5-14% of women in family planning clinic settings""8 to 30% during a lifetime.

What percent of pregnancies occur due to the circumstances described?

Wouldn't this be a part of the rape, incest and whatever carve outs?

In her desperate attempt to avoid pregnancy, she secretly visited her doctor to have an IUD fitted. 'It was fine for a while until he discovered it. He then forcefully ripped it out of me.

And yet she continued to have sex with him?

Abused or not the woman was a complete idiot.

What percent of pregnancies are represented by the idea you present?

That statistic was presented twice in the articles I posted and at least once in other linked articles. Also, it was quoted in a post.

Please educate yourself on the issue of domestic abuse and how it affects the abused partner.

Ok, so they are abused and shell-shocked, completely unable to think in their own best interests.

Awful, but what is the government/public's proper role if the abused person doesn't want to leave or press charges?

Is that not a family matter, unless they are asking for help?

Ok, so they are abused and shell-shocked, completely unable to think in their own best interests.

Awful, but what is the government/public's proper role if the abused person doesn't want to leave or press charges?

Is that not a family matter, unless they are asking for help?

Who said anything about the govt. or public having a role?

Who said anything about the govt. or public having a role?

Presumably some folks here want something done to prevent reproductive coercion. I'm trying to imagine what that looks like.

If this was someone in my family or a close friend I'd do whatever I could to help change her situation, but (as part of the public myself) how is it my business how other people's families deal with an abusive situation where the victim refuses to leave or ask for help?

Presumably some folks here want something done to prevent reproductive coercion. I'm trying to imagine what that looks like.

If this was someone in my family or a close friend I'd do whatever I could to help change her situation, but (as part of the public myself) how is it my business how other people's families deal with an abusive situation where the victim refuses to leave or ask for help?

IIRC, the point people are making is that sometimes a woman IS forced to get pregnant. I don't think any of the posters were saying anything about govt in relation to it. I know *I* haven't, and you were replying to me.

Nobody is asking that some government agency take on this problem. That isn't part of the discussion. Nobody is asking you for anything. However, there are many shelters for abused women to escape to where they are provided with rooms, privacy, secrecy, legal and police help if needed.

Presumably some folks here want something done to prevent reproductive coercion.

Your presumption would be incorrect, in my case anyway. My purpose in creating this post was -- and still is -- to counter the prolife claim that "nobody forces women to get pregnant." As this and other articles show, to my satisfaction anyway, the practice of Reproductive Coercion can and in many cases does force women to become pregnant. That's it.

IIRC, the point people are making is that sometimes a woman IS forced to get pregnant.

That is correct, especially when her partner either throws her birth control away or somehow sabotages it without her knowledge. So, I think this makes the prolife claim that "nobody forces women to get pregnant" a false one.

That statistic was presented twice in the articles I posted and at least once in other linked articles. Also, it was quoted in a post.

Help me put. You seem to be familiar with it.

Is it like 50% of all pregnancies? 40%?

What?

Here's another article concerning Reproductive Coercion:

Birth control bullies: When he wants your method to fail: Bedsider

Birth control bullies: When your partner wants your method to fail

Messing with a partner's birth control is abuse--and it may be depressingly common.

By Grace Shih, MD, MAS | Updated: 6/13/2017

Article Quote:
"When I was training to become a doctor, one of my patients was a 25-year-old woman. She already had one child and didn’t want to get pregnant again. She’d been using the birth control patch, but came to me because the patch wasn’t working for her. When I asked her “why not?” she said, “Because when my boyfriend sees it, he pulls it off me.”

That was my first encounter with birth control sabotage. Birth control sabotage is a form of reproductive coercion, which is a fancy term for a simple but disturbing idea… It means someone is bullying or intimidating their partner into sexual situations that put them at risk for an unwanted pregnancy. It could mean that a partner is sabotaging a woman’s birth control, like my patient. It also includes a partner threatening violence or threatening to leave if a woman doesn’t get pregnant. Reproductive coercion is abuse—and it may be depressingly common.

There is evidence that birth control sabotage is common, although we need more research to understand exactly how common. Birth control sabotage can take many forms. For example, women have reported:

- Partners poking holes in condoms or taking condoms off during sex (a.k.a. stealthing),

- Partners hiding or throwing away birth control pills, and

- Partners removing the ring, or even an IUD.

We do know that all types of reproductive coercion are more common in relationships that have physical or sexual violence. In the U.S., approximately one in four women have experienced physical or sexual violence with a partner at least once during their lifetime."

I don't know about some pro-lifers, but I call birth control sabotage a form of reproductive coercion and abuse, even if they don't.

Is it like 50% of all pregnancies? 40%? What?

I don't believe the percentage matters. The pro-life claim I'm challenging is: "Nobody forces them (women) to get pregnant," which really isn't true.

Here's another article concerning Reproductive Coercion:

Birth control bullies: When he wants your method to fail: Bedsider

Birth control bullies: When your partner wants your method to fail

Messing with a partner's birth control is abuse--and it may be depressingly common.

By Grace Shih, MD, MAS | Updated: 6/13/2017

Article Quote:
"When I was training to become a doctor, one of my patients was a 25-year-old woman. She already had one child and didn’t want to get pregnant again. She’d been using the birth control patch, but came to me because the patch wasn’t working for her. When I asked her “why not?” she said, “Because when my boyfriend sees it, he pulls it off me.”

That was my first encounter with birth control sabotage. Birth control sabotage is a form of reproductive coercion, which is a fancy term for a simple but disturbing idea… It means someone is bullying or intimidating their partner into sexual situations that put them at risk for an unwanted pregnancy. It could mean that a partner is sabotaging a woman’s birth control, like my patient. It also includes a partner threatening violence or threatening to leave if a woman doesn’t get pregnant. Reproductive coercion is abuse—and it may be depressingly common.

There is evidence that birth control sabotage is common, although we need more research to understand exactly how common. Birth control sabotage can take many forms. For example, women have reported:

- Partners poking holes in condoms or taking condoms off during sex (a.k.a. stealthing),

- Partners hiding or throwing away birth control pills, and

- Partners removing the ring, or even an IUD.

We do know that all types of reproductive coercion are more common in relationships that have physical or sexual violence. In the U.S., approximately one in four women have experienced physical or sexual violence with a partner at least once during their lifetime."

I don't know about some pro-lifers, but I call birth control sabotage a form of reproductive coercion and abuse, even if they don't.

And yet despite all this the women in question still choose to have sex with the men doing that.

Face it. They may be abused. They may be victims.

But they are still idiots.

This conversation gets complicated because everything depends on what country and culture you live in. In most Islamic country’s women are treated like property and second class citizens! The problems are much worse than this. But If we are talking about places like The USA...... then there are only 3 options.
1. You were raped and the man should go to prison.
2. You were both careless and therefore got pregnant.
3. You chose willingly to have a baby.

that’s it..... if someone pressures you into having a baby and you say yes and then regret it, that’s your fault for being in a terrible relationship. For the sake of men’s sanity, women really need to choose. Do they want to be treated as equals or do they want to be treated special??? because this is a clear case of wanting both.

that’s it..... if someone pressures you into having a baby and you say yes and then regret it, that’s your fault for being in a terrible relationship.

WOW. Really. :rolleyes: And if the male partner is abusive? If the woman is afraid of using birth control because her abusive partner will injure her in some way if he discovers it, is it still "her fault?" Nope, don't think so. As I said before, the practice of reproductive coercion, and the person who uses it, can and does force women to get pregnant.

This conversation gets complicated because everything depends on what country and culture you live in. In most Islamic country’s women are treated like property and second class citizens! The problems are much worse than this. But If we are talking about places like The USA...... then there are only 3 options.
1. You were raped and the man should go to prison.
2. You were both careless and therefore got pregnant.
3. You chose willingly to have a baby.
that’s it..... if someone pressures you into having a baby and you say yes and then regret it, that’s your fault for being in a terrible relationship. For the sake of men’s sanity, women really need to choose. Do they want to be treated as equals or do they want to be treated special??? because this is a clear case of wanting both.
So women have to consider men's feeling about pregnancy and abortion. Poor dears. I don't think John Galt would have said something whiny like that. (snicker@men who take Ayn Rand seriously. Oh sorry for treating you like a pimply little teen)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom