• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How Religion does Harm

That's an interesting statement. It brings with it a whole other conversation about inalienable rights.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm unfamiliar with the debate you're referring to. Is it whether or not inalienable rights are possible without a religiously influenced government?

forgive my ignorance, but i'm unfamiliar with the debate you're referring to. Is it whether or not inalienable rights are possible without a religiously influenced government?

no .

I'm allowed to comment aren't I?

I'd guess. I'm not gonna tell you what to do or what you can or cannot do. However, I'd recommend if you're bringing something up, be prepared to argue it.

Other than the obvious stuff like Muslims throwing acid in the faces of young girls for having the audacity to learn to read and write, we have more subtle harmful affects of religion like this, regarding cancer therapies being squashed by America's Christian zealots.

One guy says that Religion is Terrorism. I don't know if I would go that far.

Warning: This video is Anti-Christian with very vulgar language. Do not watch it if you are a sensitive fellow.

Warning: Lots of cursing and attacks against Christianity

Federal funding, as you call it, is simply using cash confiscated by the government from private individuals. Perhaps you can lay out the moral case for the state taking property, by force, and using it for purposes that the victim of this theft finds morally repugnant. If you believe in this sort of thing, you fund it. If it is viable research and someone can profit from it, voluntary funding will be readily available.

People should have a tick box so that they can put their taxes where they think they are needed most. That would truly be the most democratic. Don't like stem cell research then give to pothole maintenance instead. We all pay our rates, but when we get to choose then our tax money is spent on things that benefit us. If a person doesn't want to pay for public education then they don't, but that means that their kid can't go to a public school either, and that also means that childless adults don't "waste" their money either...

Federal funding, as you call it, is simply using cash confiscated by the government from private individuals. Perhaps you can lay out the moral case for the state taking property, by force, and using it for purposes that the victim of this theft finds morally repugnant. If you believe in this sort of thing, you fund it. If it is viable research and someone can profit from it, voluntary funding will be readily available.

I didn't want my cash used to fund Iraq or to be sent even further away where it supports child rapist warlords in Afghanistan, not to mention half the other stuff the government does with our money that I disagree with. But, it's the price paid when you live in a republic filled with people who all share different beliefs.

Maybe you should leave, if you don't like it here.

Sure. Any laws introduced by Christians is suspect...you know, since that whole Chrsitian thing itself is suspect---at least, as we know, it's not based on anything tangible. It lacks facts. So, when people make laws based on delusions, I worry.

Obama is a christian, so is nearly everyone in congress..... but you don't seem oppose laws that particular christian introduces.

Obama is a christian, so is nearly everyone in congress..... but you don't seem oppose laws that particular christian introduces.
If the proposed laws are sold as being "Christian, then I oppose them regardless who proposes them.

It still makes no sense to stop federal funding for this and other areas of cancer research simply because it causes religious people to squirm.

Yes it does make sense since religious people pay taxes and the majority of Americans are religious. It's not free money .

Yes it does make sense since religious people pay taxes and the majority of Americans are religious. It's not free money .
I believe a majority of Americans would support cancer research over religion, if they had to pick one or the other.

I believe a majority of Americans would support cancer research over religion, if they had to pick one or the other.

Okie doke, guy. I don't ever think they'll have to make that choice, but your opinion is noted.

Okie doke, guy. I don't ever think they'll have to make that choice, but your opinion is noted.

Well, government laws restricting research on stem cells is pretty much the same concept.

Back
Top Bottom