• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How QAnon rode the pandemic to new heights

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
How QAnon rode the pandemic to new heights — and fueled the viral anti-mask phenomenon

Researchers and experts say QAnon has emerged in recent months as a sort of centralized hub for conspiracy and alternative health communities.

BzbX0ucI

Melissa Rein Lively (right).

8/14/20
In February, five months before she became known as "QAnon Karen," there was no one more terrified of the coming pandemic than Melissa Rein Lively. "I bought the N-95 masks. I bought the hazmat suit," she said. "In my mind, a zombie movie was imminent." At the time, Rein Lively said her career was at its peak. By July 5, she had gone into a Target store and trashed the mask section, streaming her rage in a viral post that drew over 10 million views. Before the police closed in on her garage, she livestreamed her own mental breakdown on her company's Instagram account, telling police to "call Donald Trump and ask him" why she shouldn't be arrested for her actions. She was, she told the police, the "QAnon spokesperson." Rein Lively's experience is one that researchers recognize. While QAnon bubbled on the fringes of the internet for years, researchers and experts say it has emerged in recent months as a sort of centralized hub for conspiracy and alternative health communities. According to an internal document reported by NBC News this week, Facebook now has more than 1,000 of these QAnon groups, totaling millions of members.

Users like Rein Lively who started off in wellness communities, religious groups and new-age groups on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram during the pandemic were then introduced to extremist groups like QAnon, aided by shared beliefs about energy, healing or God — and often by recommendation algorithms. Some find themselves believing in elaborate conspiracy theories about Bill Gates, 5G wireless technology, vaccines and masks, which researchers say are in part pushed by an algorithm and shared community members that group all of the theories together. Within days, they begin to believe that President Donald Trump is waging a secret war to save trafficked children from a cabal of Satan-worshipping baby eaters who control the United States government. The Facebook algorithm's proclivity for leading users toward increasingly extreme groups is no surprise to researchers who have studied radicalization during the pandemic. At the end of Rein Lively's slide down Facebook's conspiracy rabbit hole, she eventually came to the same conclusion as many other QAnon followers: She wasn't just watching the Awakening. She was part of it. "I hate to say the word 'Awakening,' but I thought I was 'it,'" Rein Lively said. "And I just completely went off the rails."

Be careful if your social media platform recommends other groups, it is actually Facebook/Twitter/Instagram algorithms leading you to increasingly extremist groups. To hook you.

The individuals that fall for this shtick number in the millions and are injecting themselves into politics and elections. We have admitted Q's right here on this board.

Such people usually lack a knowledge of science, possess weak critical thinking skills, and feel a desperate need to associate with similar individuals.

Related: QAnon Groups on Facebook Reportedly Have Millions of Members

“Gulliber’s Travels”

I can understand it to some extent. It would be nice to just pretend the pandemic is not an issue because it was all planned but also a hoax and does no real damage with fearmongering being the only real thing to fear. I can see why it would be appealing to pretend we are all safe and have nothing to fear at all. It would certainly make life easier for everyone if that were true.

I'm glad I never joined those social media groups like fb, twitter, instagram, etc. If I want to hear right wing lunatic conspiracy spreaders, I'll just listen to FUX news, or go to a right wingnut website. QAnon trolls the internet, just like the Gaslighter In Chief does. Lots of ignorant gullible fools in this country that pay attention to this nonsense.

I'm glad I never joined those social media groups like fb, twitter, instagram, etc. If I want to hear right wing lunatic conspiracy spreaders, I'll just listen to FUX news, or go to a right wingnut website. QAnon trolls the internet, just like the Gaslighter In Chief does. Lots of ignorant gullible fools in this country that pay attention to this nonsense.

These people have the right to vote.........

These people have the right to vote.........
And we know exactly how they will vote. Thankfully the Vast Majority know the truth and will vote for sanity.

And we know exactly how they will vote. Thankfully the Vast Majority know the truth and will vote for sanity.

I’m not for sure, we’re still too far away from 3NOV.

I guess in hindsight the internet was always going to be a double edged sword.

It has allowed those who would normally be more isolated in their insane beliefs to gather in extraordinary numbers reaffirm each others insane beliefs.

But this is getting out of hand and there’s no easy solution.

I mean Trumpism is very much the same, social media has a lot to do with how his insanity maintains support and Trumpists seem to re-circulate misinformation at an incredible rate, far more than more left wing people (although it happens on both sides).

Social Media has allowed people to create completely alternative universes for themselves that like minded people can swear up and down to each other is real even as reality crumbles around them and that’s what we’re seeing right this second with COVID.

But there’s no easy solution, if people are free to believe what they want and they should be, then it does mean, most likely, in the end Democracy is doomed and we’ll destroy ourselves.

There’s no way a Democratic Society can survive when so many citizens are this misinformed.

I’m not for sure, we’re still too far away from 3NOV.
Now you know that isn't true, the time will go by in the blink of an eye, like riding a really fast roller coaster lots of spinning and sharp turns the destination will get there faster than you realize. I don't know even One Person that does not who they are voting for or against at this point, do you?

Now you know that isn't true, the time will go by in the blink of an eye, like riding a really fast roller coaster lots of spinning and sharp turns the destination will get there faster than you realize. I don't know even One Person that does not who they are voting for or against at this point, do you?

I can’t imagine a scenario that changes my mind. I just don’t have faith in my fellow citizens.

I can’t imagine a scenario that changes my mind. I just don’t have faith in my fellow citizens.

We will have to wait to see what happens, if the Show Up I will, if they don't then they deserve what they get.

How QAnon rode the pandemic to new heights — and fueled the viral anti-mask phenomenon

Researchers and experts say QAnon has emerged in recent months as a sort of centralized hub for conspiracy and alternative health communities.

BzbX0ucI

Be careful if your social media platform recommends other groups, it is actually Facebook/Twitter/Instagram algorithms leading you to increasingly extremist groups. To hook you.

The individuals that fall for this shtick number in the millions and are injecting themselves into politics and elections. We have admitted Q's right here on this board.

Such people usually lack a knowledge of science, possess weak critical thinking skills, and feel a desperate need to associate with similar individuals.

QAnon is just another word for KKK or white Supremacy. Look at the pictures taken of the group and you will not see any black or brown faces as they are part of the Deep state the QAnon talk about. If you believe in and are part of this group, then be truthful to yourself and just go out and join the KKK and admit who you really are instead of hiding behind this group.

If their vote gets counted.

v-for-vendetta-mask-comic-face-anonymous-guy-fawkes-free-size-original-imaffkw54z3rfjzs.jpeg

It's like the comic book, "V for Vendetta".

People are caught up in the romance of it.

I guess in hindsight the internet was always going to be a double edged sword.

It has allowed those who would normally be more isolated in their insane beliefs to gather in extraordinary numbers reaffirm each others insane beliefs.

But this is getting out of hand and there’s no easy solution.

I mean Trumpism is very much the same, social media has a lot to do with how his insanity maintains support and Trumpists seem to re-circulate misinformation at an incredible rate, far more than more left wing people (although it happens on both sides).

Social Media has allowed people to create completely alternative universes for themselves that like minded people can swear up and down to each other is real even as reality crumbles around them and that’s what we’re seeing right this second with COVID.

But there’s no easy solution, if people are free to believe what they want and they should be, then it does mean, most likely, in the end Democracy is doomed and we’ll destroy ourselves.

There’s no way a Democratic Society can survive when so many citizens are this misinformed.

There's also something about believing and sharing conspiracy theories that make dumb people feel smart. Like they know something the masses don't. This is a big part of it as well.

BzbX0ucI

Forget QAnon, instead there is JoeAnon streaming from mommy’s basement

There's also something about believing and sharing conspiracy theories that make dumb people feel smart. Like they know something the masses don't. This is a big part of it as well.

I think it’s a combination of things.

I think there’s an element of Dunning-Kruger that plays a part, but not for everyone.

I mean let’s just take Flat Earthers for example, when people hear the word “Cult” they usually associate it in the strongest possible meaning, so Jonestown.

But Cults can be more subtle than that and one element that crops up over and over again, is these people feel distant or ostracized from society, they want a sense of belonging, perhaps their normal lives aren’t great or they’ve been put down most of their lives.

Suddenly, hey presto, they find a community where by as long as they parrot the issue, Flat Earth, QAnon, whatever it may be, they’ll be praised, re-affirmed, accepted and find people who simply are... Nice to them.

And anyone who attempts to hurt that from the outside will be met with a fierce reaction.

I don’t think most people start out wanting to believe the Earth is Flat, it goes much deeper than that.

But hey, that’s just like, my opinion man.

I think it’s a combination of things.

I think there’s an element of Dunning-Kruger that plays a part, but not for everyone.

I mean let’s just take Flat Earthers for example, when people hear the word “Cult” they usually associate it in the strongest possible meaning, so Jonestown.

But Cults can be more subtle than that and one element that crops up over and over again, is these people feel distant or ostracized from society, they want a sense of belonging, perhaps their normal lives aren’t great or they’ve been put down most of their lives.

Suddenly, hey presto, they find a community where by as long as they parrot the issue, Flat Earth, QAnon, whatever it may be, they’ll be praised, re-affirmed, accepted and find people who simply are... Nice to them.

And anyone who attempts to hurt that from the outside will be met with a fierce reaction.

I don’t think most people start out wanting to believe the Earth is Flat, it goes much deeper than that.

But hey, that’s just like, my opinion man.

Actually that makes a lot of sense. The desire to be accepted is very strong in most people. Especially in those who have been ostracized most of their lives. A saw a good bit of that during my career in the Army, just not in the crazy way.

It is wild to witness how dumb people are with this conspiracy bs QAnon is an absolute embarrassment. Amazingly dumb.

If their vote gets counted.

God help anyone attempting to destroy votes, the Law takes a very dim view of such actions and it would not matter how high up that went.

God help anyone attempting to destroy votes, the Law takes a very dim view of such actions and it would not matter how high up that went.

Trump is willing to step over that line and see what happens. To me, removing mail boxes is blocking ballot access and the Dems should file in court. I wouldn't take the PG word that the counting machines have not been removed, I'd inspect. Dems should think ahead of what possibilities of the worst kind Trump and state Reps could try and pull-off and prepare accordingly. Over the past decade, the Reps have been taking over state offices under the Dems noses while they looked on. The Reps stole the GA gov election in 2016 by doing what Dems would not do, and got away with it. The Dems have no game.

Trump is willing to step over that line and see what happens. To me, removing mail boxes is blocking ballot access and the Dems should file in court. I wouldn't take the PG word that the counting machines have not been removed, I'd inspect. Dems should think ahead of what possibilities of the worst kind Trump and state Reps could try and pull-off and prepare accordingly. Over the past decade, the Reps have been taking over state offices under the Dems noses while they looked on. The Reps stole the GA gov election in 2016 by doing what Dems would not do, and got away with it. The Dems have no game.

Well, the head of USPS is being called before Congress, think they have a few questions. I will not be surprised if criminal charges are filed. The obvious attempts to destroy the USPS better not lead directly to trump, if they do he will be in big trouble win or lose the election, crimes are grounds for removal from office and even the Sycophants in the Senate would not be able to save him.

Well, the head of USPS is being called before Congress, think they have a few questions. I will not be surprised if criminal charges are filed. The obvious attempts to destroy the USPS better not lead directly to trump, if they do he will be in big trouble win or lose the election, crimes are grounds for removal from office and even the Sycophants in the Senate would not be able to save him.

It'll take a long time for all that to prove-out. In the meantime, he and others do their damage. The termites are eating your home but you can't get Terminix in for 4+ yrs. Removal from office? Like, when? The dude already has bucks up the yin-yang and there's his own deep-state sycophant support to land him a job.

Criminal charges should be, and I think they have been, filed. A court filing of blocking ballot access should be filed. The Dems should be all over everything and not wait 30-60-90 days for a response to subpoenas, request for docs, etc., before they get a final "no" like they've done with everything else.

Back
Top Bottom