• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Putin Weaponized Wikileaks to Influence the Election

Y'know, I really don't mind that Debbie Wasserman-Schulz is resigning - I've never trusted her anyway. It's something about her that I really, really didn't like - and it's good that she got caught.

That said, if Russia's interfering in our elections, that should be cause for concern for everyone...and WHY would they want to release e-mails which would damage the Democratic party? That last question is more important than anything else.

Juliane Assange in an interview yesterday made it clear why he is targeting Clinton: It is purely because Clinton has said she supports criminal prosecution of Wikileaks. He sees Clinton as a bigger threat to basic freedoms than Trump.

That Putin is trying to influence our election?

Trump has given us the "proof". He is dependent on Russian oligarchs money for one and his quid pro quo dissing of NATO is another. Putin's dream is the weakening of NATO leaving the Baltic States helpless against Russian aggression and Putin free to pursue the re-invention of the USSR.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/trump-putin-russia-connections

Keep that line of thought open because Assange has already said that one the next email tranches will be related to Clinton's pay-to-play schemes through the Clinton Foundation. I'm guessing when people start connecting the dots between favorable SoS decisions with foreign countries business before the State Department and Bill's speaking engagements you will suddenly be a little more opposed to dot connecting...

Also, connecting a billionaire to a $50 million investment by a Russian is weak sauce. That's like saying I am indentured to someone who gave me a stick of gum.

{Personal comment - I'm never eager to buy into conspiracy theories, but there's some evidence below by some professional organizations. That, and Putin had to be supportive of Trump's position that he might not support our NATO allies}

From DefenseOne.com: How Putin Weaponized Wikileaks to Influence the Election of an American President - Defense One

Evidence suggests that a Russian intelligence group was the source of the most recent Wikileaks intel dump, which was aimed to influence the U.S. election.

Close your eyes and imagine that a hacking group backed by Russian President Vladimir Putin broke into the email system of a major U.S. political party. The group stole thousands of sensitive messages and then published them through an obliging third party in a way that was strategically timed to influence the United States presidential election. Now open your eyes, because that’s what just happened.

...It’s the same group that hit the State Department, the White House, and the civilian email of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The group’s modus operandi (a spearphishing attack that uploads a distinctive remote access tool on the target’s computer) is well known to cyber-security researchers.
Other security firms offered independent analysis and reached the same conclusion. The group Fidelis undertook their own investigation and found Crowdstrike to be correct.[/I]

Maybe so, but unless Putin made the DNC railroad Sanders or Debbie Wasserman Shultz, the most incompetent party leader who costed her party the most seats, offices and influence since the 1930s, was a plant then it really doesn't matter. I never send any texts, emails, social media messages etc without consideration unauthorized parties might be reading it, even traditional post can be intercepted. So in reality, who cares who wiki leaked it? That should never have been email fodder in the first place. Evidentally the entire Democratic Party may need a refresher course on how emails work

Keep that line of thought open because Assange has already said that one the next email tranches will be related to Clinton's pay-to-play schemes through the Clinton Foundation. I'm guessing when people start connecting the dots between favorable SoS decisions with foreign countries business before the State Department and Bill's speaking engagements you will suddenly be a little more opposed to dot connecting...

Also, connecting a billionaire to a $50 million investment by a Russian is weak sauce. That's like saying I am indentured to someone who gave me a stick of gum.

You didn't read the article it is a lot more than $50 million. This is why he won't release his tax returns. It would reveal his dependency on Russian money.

{Personal comment - I'm never eager to buy into conspiracy theories, but there's some evidence below by some professional organizations. That, and Putin had to be supportive of Trump's position that he might not support our NATO allies}

From DefenseOne.com: How Putin Weaponized Wikileaks to Influence the Election of an American President - Defense One

Evidence suggests that a Russian intelligence group was the source of the most recent Wikileaks intel dump, which was aimed to influence the U.S. election.

Close your eyes and imagine that a hacking group backed by Russian President Vladimir Putin broke into the email system of a major U.S. political party. The group stole thousands of sensitive messages and then published them through an obliging third party in a way that was strategically timed to influence the United States presidential election. Now open your eyes, because that’s what just happened.

...It’s the same group that hit the State Department, the White House, and the civilian email of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The group’s modus operandi (a spearphishing attack that uploads a distinctive remote access tool on the target’s computer) is well known to cyber-security researchers.
Other security firms offered independent analysis and reached the same conclusion. The group Fidelis undertook their own investigation and found Crowdstrike to be correct.[/I]

I think that is a conspiracy theory. If the emails weren't real, the DNC would know it and would not have pushed Debbie out over it. Debbie's replacement apologized to Sanders for them. She wouldn't have done that if the emails weren't real.

You didn't read the article it is a lot more than $50 million. This is why he won't release his tax returns. It would reveal his dependency on Russian money.

I did read it. Care to tell me where TPM got their claim that Trump has been black balled by American banks? There own links disprove their claim.

"Trump borrowed $100 million against the tower in 2012 from Ladder Capital Corp., a commercial mortgage lender, according to a public filing. He personally guaranteed $8 million and only has to pay interest on the debt until 2022, when the principal is due, the filing shows."

Soooo... blackballed means something different to TPM than it does to anybody else...

They also never bothered to actually find what was meant by "disproportionate" in context to their bottom line.

Hillary is a friend to Putin, remember she reset the relationship.

Why do you say maybe the Republicans had better security than say you doubt it.

I asked for proof, not more opinions.

The proof is Trump's quid pro quo in dissing NATO and changing the GOP platform to eliminate support for the Baltics against Putin. These are not coincidental.

I think that is a conspiracy theory. If the emails weren't real, the DNC would know it and would not have pushed Debbie out over it. Debbie's replacement apologized to Sanders for them. She wouldn't have done that if the emails weren't real.

Who is claiming the leaks were not real? What is disturbing is the source of those links combined with Trumps actions in the last few weeks which favor Putin's interests. It stinks to high heaven of quid pro quo.

Tell that to the GOP, they seem to be only interested in putting Hillary behind bars.

How about you worry about telling others things you want them to be told.

Assange did not hack the DNC. Putin's men did. The release was meant to aid Trump and you cannot deny it.

I never said Assange hacked anything. Nobody knows (including you) who did what other than DWS and the staff of the DCN lied and cheated and that emails do actually matter. That is a fact that can't be changed.

Last edited:
All I care about is whether the information is true or not. Couldn't care less who provided said info.

As the info is legit, I am satisfied. And if Russia provided it, then thanks Russia?

Who is claiming the leaks were not real? What is disturbing is the source of those links combined with Trumps actions in the last few weeks which favor Putin's interests. It stinks to high heaven of quid pro quo.

I guess it's Trump's fault the DNC cheated, screwed over Sanders and the people in the Democratic party that wanted him as a candidate. They were just too stupid to know what is good for them. It is all part of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy!!!! Trump did it.

Do you know how stupid that sounds?

All I care about is whether the information is true or not. Couldn't care less who provided said info.

As the info is legit, I am satisfied. And if Russia provided it, then thanks Russia?

Just like Russia/Putin is saying thanks Donald for weakening NATO and removing support for the Ukraine from the DNC platform. One hand is washing the other. Isn't that sweet.

I guess it's Trump's fault the DNC cheated, screwed over Sanders and the people in the Democratic party that wanted him as a candidate. They were just too stupid to know what is good for them. It is all part of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy!!!! Trump did it.

Do you know how stupid that sounds?

Putin did it for Trump but that is not the point. How did voters get screwed by voting for Hillary in an overwhelming majority? How did Bernie get screwed by running against the establishment and not getting support from the DNC establishment? I think the DNC helped him by not endorsing him. He certainly did better than anyone expected.

Y'know, I really don't mind that Debbie Wasserman-Schulz is resigning - I've never trusted her anyway. It's something about her that I really, really didn't like - and it's good that she got caught.

That said, if Russia's interfering in our elections, that should be cause for concern for everyone...and WHY would they want to release e-mails which would damage the Democratic party? That last question is more important than anything else.

And Obama hasn't? He has sent his surrogates to Canada, to Israel, and Egypt to sway elections, ask Bibi. Putin is only using his example.

Putin did it for Trump but that is not the point. How did voters get screwed by voting for Hillary in an overwhelming majority? How did Bernie get screwed by running against the establishment and not getting support from the DNC establishment? I think the DNC helped him by not endorsing him. He certainly did better than anyone expected.

All stupid questions. Like Tres says, the answer is "potato".

OK Glen................get ready to hammer me for my ignorance. :)

We have a DNC who cannot be trusted with their handling of emails, and made some questionable anti-semitic comments about Bernie.

The DNC props up Hillary ....................who cannot be trusted to handle emails and other sensitive information.

What gives?

I cannot wrap my mind around this sort of thinking.

This is beyond comical.

So this has come down to George Soros versus Vladimir Putin?

LMAO

This is beyond comical.

So this has come down to George Soros versus Vladimir Putin?

LMAO

You forgot a couple of people. It is Soros and Bloomberg vs. Trump and Putin. Clinton and DWS had nothing to do with it.

I love how either side in politics will dream up all sorts of conspiracy theories every time they shoot themselves in the foot.

That's just not true. The info was released in hopes of creating division in the Dems ranks and to ruin the Dems Convention. It will not work but not for lack of trying. Trump himself could not have determined a better time for the release and in fact he may have. You notice that the Russians have not hacked the RNC and that tells you who they are targeting.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/trump-putin-russia-connections

Thank you for the post, but I am already aware of how the Progressive Machine is trying to spin this.

Could it be that Putin sees HRC as the next President and is trying to put her in her place?

Conspiracy theories are fun to dream up, but really, this meme being pushed belongs in the Conspiracy Theory section.

I wonder if you know how much Hillary has gotten from Russia.

Yeah, THAT is a good theory, though I think that we'll play hell tryin to prove it. I think it might have been Anonymous; they've been warning about that stuff, so - just sayin... The point is though, wikileaks have shot a hole right through Clinton's bow with this crap, so already her convention is listing. At least Trump had to open his mouth first.

If Hillary let's that broad from the DNC speak tonight it's going to show people a lot more than Hillary would like.

Back
Top Bottom