• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Privileged Are You?

I'm about the same as you.

You live with 39 out of 100 points of privilege.

You're not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You've had your fair share of struggles, and you've worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way. It is not your responsibility to educate those with more advantages than you, but if you decide you want to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

Yeah like I said its weird and interesting. I think some of the questions should be clarified but its an interesting "exercise" to inspire reflection though.

Actually makes me think about my dad and then my parents. I said it before and Ill say it again. I have no clue how they grew up in the world/society they did and didnt have chips on their shoulders. Didnt have anger in their hearts and souls. They weren't tainted by others stupidity, hate, bigotry, violence and ignorance even though it was so prevalent and directly effect their safety, health and livelihood so often.

I definitely get my defualt of happiness and happy mood from them but I often wonder if i could have turned out the same facing their adversities. I hope I would have but I just don't know.

Last edited:
Seems like most of us aren't privileged. :lol:
Myself, 59, brought up on the east coast of Canada, PEI. Dad worked at a meat packing plant. Mom ran the boarding house we had.
I recall asking my dad for a bike. Was always using my sisters-Yuck- he said no. money was tight.
I told him I would pay for it.
He looked at me, and then we walked around the block to the Bike Shop. He informed the owner my son wants to open an account. He wants a new bike.
The owner was surprised, I then picked it out. Hot red, 57 dollars was the price. Not sure how old I was, possible 7 years of age or so.
Yes I paid it off.
Mornings I was up selling papers, afternoons I was selling the later edition. Shovel snow for neighbors, carried groceries. Sold lemonade.

Yeah like I said its weird and interesting. I think some of the questions should be clarified but its an interesting "exercise" to inspire reflection though.

Actually makes me think about my dad and then my parents. I said it before and Ill say it again. I have no clue how they grew up in the world/society they did and didnt have chips on their shoulders. Didnt have anger in their hearts and souls. They weren't tainted by others stupidity, hate, bigotry, violence and ignorance even though it was so prevalent and directly effect their safety, health and livelihood so often.

I definitely get my defualt of happiness and happy mood from them but I often wonder if i could have turned out the same facing their adversities. I hope I would have but I just don't know.
Mine were products of being born before the Great Depression living thru that, and then came WW2.

Mine were products of being born before the Great Depression living thru that, and then came WW2.

yeah rough times also. My dad was mostly always happy like me.
my uncle had one eye simply because he walked a different way home from school one day? wtf? My aunt was kidnapped and my grandfather caught the guy and beat him up but nothing happened besides he was told to get his little girl and get his ass home. my Parents lost jobs, family and friends over each other. Were kicked out of places or denied access, had trouble buying a home etc etc. Both my parents were assaulted at various times and my mom was even put in the hospital . .

Such a sick time they grew up in, and yet . . they never preached an ounce of hate.

I actually did a video on my answers over on my YouTube channel for anyone who cares. And yes, it's Buzzfeed, the cesspool of the Internet, what do you expect?

Yes, I can already hear your groans from here. But, I found this rather amusing and it's gotten quite a lot of.....buzz on youtube. Even if it's, as some call it, "SJW" fueled crap, it's still entertaining

You don't have to actually watch the video, but I suggest taking the quiz and seeing how much of a privileged blob you are.

Link to the quiz -----> https://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/how-privileged-are-you?

I got a 75 and I'm black (which means I'm pretty up there on the privileged ladder), so anything is possible.

What's your score?

Side note: I really wasn't sure where to post this, so here I am.....

Sorry Buzzfeed is the new garbage dump of the internet (replaced Gawker) and I can't patronize them with clicks

yeah rough times also. My dad was mostly always happy like me.
my uncle had one eye simply because he walked a different way home from school one day? wtf? My aunt was kidnapped and my grandfather caught the guy and beat him up but nothing happened besides he was told to get his little girl and get his ass home. my Parents lost jobs, family and friends over each other. Were kicked out of places or denied access, had trouble buying a home etc etc. Both my parents were assaulted at various times and my mom was even put in the hospital . .

Such a sick time they grew up in, and yet . . they never preached an ounce of hate.

No need to reply as I know it is personal.
But why?

No need to reply as I know it is personal.
But why?

lol oh I dont mind . . ive talked about here before . . .but I appreciate it

My parents were an interracial couple. My dad black, my mom white.

Yes, I can already hear your groans from here. But, I found this rather amusing and it's gotten quite a lot of.....buzz on youtube. Even if it's, as some call it, "SJW" fueled crap, it's still entertaining

You don't have to actually watch the video, but I suggest taking the quiz and seeing how much of a privileged blob you are.

Link to the quiz -----> https://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/how-privileged-are-you?

I got a 75 and I'm black (which means I'm pretty up there on the privileged ladder), so anything is possible.

What's your score?

What an utter waste of time. The first question is racial. In this country we call that discrimination, it is in fact illegal.

The "survey" is weighted against whites, virtually every question is designed to get a preferable response.

What an utter waste of time. The first question is racial. In this country we call that discrimination, it is in fact illegal.

The "survey" is weighted against whites, virtually every question is designed to get a preferable response.
Yawn.

Bro, I'm black and got a higher score than a lot of the white people here. Take the quiz, man, it's not that bad.

Besides, race is an important factor in this country and any other one. Spare me the white victim rhetoric.

But, if you want to run away from the racial realities of the real world, then our exchange ends here.

lol oh I dont mind . . ive talked about here before . . .but I appreciate it

My parents were an interracial couple. My dad black, my mom white.

Just be glad that you didn't grow up in Boston. I saw plenty of ugly back then with the interracial marriage issue.

Just be glad that you didn't grow up in Boston. I saw plenty of ugly back then with the interracial marriage issue.
Well besides them ending up dad it could of gotten much worse i guess.

Im glad for many things though, im glad my dad and mom survived their attacks, im glad my parents prevailed, im glad equal rights won over bigotry/hate/stupidity and im glad my parents were just all around better people than all those against them so they never developed a chip on their shoulders or hate

I honestly do find it amazing and inspiring because i dont know if i would come being the same great people they did

I delt/deal with todays racism and im fine but its no where near the same.

So about half way when I checked all of them I decided to stop.

Also, if someone asked to touch my hair I would be creeped out. Really, who goes around asking to touch other peoples hair? Why would someone think they're privileged because they never dealt with a weirdo that wanted to touch their hair?

Oh, people have come up to me all my life and tried to touch my hair and asked if it was real. This has happened to one of my sisters and at least two of my girlfriends too.

Here's my score, despite both my parents being heterosexual and my having "graduated college" [sic]:

You live with 21 out of 100 points of privilege.

You’re underprivileged. The world is not a fair or ideal place and you know that because you grew up with several identities that the world is not kind to. You had a lot of challenges to overcome simply to get on a level playing field with most people in the world. It is not your job to educate the world about its injustices, but if you choose to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

*And it's "I hope," not "hopefully," but if you're going to be wrong, (2) at least place a comma to follow "Hopefully." Arrrrrrgh.

Yay, I'm one of the unlucky white kids!

Screenshot_2016-06-22-09-57-41.jpg

Also, after being exposed to an unironic use of the phrase "check your privilege," I think I need to go to the hospital. That literally hurt to read.

Last edited:
This is a buzzfeed quiz and aside from the usual hysteria of social media, it is quite flawed in accomplishing its mission.

I received a 50, but I must say I get tired of diversity and challenges being only race, ethnicity, economic status (some of the time), and religion.

Cyber bullying? A huge issue, but what if you're too damn poor to afford Internet. I am pretty sure that form of harassment will be less present, but others will be. No question about that. How about a question that says "I had access to this quiz." Better yet, "I have heard of the phrase 'check your privilege'". Most folks outside of the academy and bourgeois information technology access have never heard of this phrase, but they have sure lived it. I saw maybe 5-6 questions about disabilities and maybe 20 or more for sexual identity. So it more or less posits one form of oppression for another.

If anything, this Buzzfeed quiz is itself a form of privilege.

Last edited:
This is a buzzfeed quiz and aside from the usual hysteria of social media, it is quite flawed in accomplishing its mission.

I received a 50, but I must say I get tired of diversity and challenges being only race, ethnicity, economic status (some of the time), and religion.

Cyber bullying? A huge issue, but what if you're too damn poor to afford Internet. I am pretty sure that form of harassment will be less present, but others will be. No question about that. How about a question that says "I had access to this quiz." Better yet, "I have heard of the phrase 'check your privilege'". I saw maybe 5-6 questions about disabilities and maybe 20 or more for sexual identity. So it more or less posits one form of oppression for another.

If anything, this Buzzfeed quiz is itself a form of privilege.

As always, your dry and pointed observations have me chuckling. Have a like.

What's your score?

Hmmm. I am a white heterosexual middle class woman. I got 50 out of a 100 despite the quiz being obviously skewed to show how Muslims and gays are discriminated against. Just a few bones are thrown to the rest of us. But it was an interesting exercise.

Well, you have to ask more questions for it to mean anything. And then you get a score. Okay, now what? What use does that serve? If you can't even inform folks about structural struggles, the foolishness of the scorecard just gets even worse.

Look, I know folks that were housed in institutions for much of their lives, in buildings where it wasn't uncommon for them to literally be chained to toilets, where puddles of piss and **** were around, whose Liberty was sold off to ensure other people could have a job. All just because they had an intellectual disability. It took a lawsuit against the state to give them their freedom. And even now, the buildings don't have chains, but they won't let these folks get out of there if they so much as express sexual interest because of a television advertisement of a beautiful woman or man. They score that against them and prevent them from leaving. Then lawmakers are still trying to keep these things going because it provides their constituents jobs, even if it demeans and removes scores of people's human liberty.

Are these experiences tapped into with these hi-tech social warriors? No.

The buzzfeed folks are so ironically wrapped up in their comforts when creating these stupid score cards to make average young people feel guilty about their lives.

Last edited:
Most of the questions aren't about race.....

Well, it's from PBS, so of course it's leagues better.

Anyway, take the quiz and see what you get.

I got a 14 on the bubble quiz.

Apparently im privileged

How Privileged Are You?

You live with 89 out of 100 points of privilege.
You’re among the most privileged people in the world. We don’t live in an ideal world, but you happened to be born into an ideal lot. This is not a bad thing, nor is it something to be ashamed of. It just means a lot of other people in the world don’t live life with the advantages you have, and that’s something you should always be aware of. Hey, the fact that you took the time and effort to check your privilege means that you’re already trying.

Back
Top Bottom