• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How personally do you take political issues

On a scale of one to ten how personally do you take politics?

Votes: 2 15.4%

Votes: 3 23.1%

Votes: 3 23.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 7.7%

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being “little influence on my life” and ten being “politics is extremely important to me.”, how personally do you handle political issues?

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being “little influence on my life” and ten being “politics is extremely important to me.”, how personally do you handle political issues?

Depends on the issue.

Its fun to nerd out on, but I am wise enough to know that idiots exist and I can't teach them, so I just let it be what it is and try to do what I need to do in order to continue to live in a good (as I define good) society.

There are things that are far more important to me.

On the whole, politics isn't all that important to me at the personal level. My commitment is to God, not some elected official or some bureaucrat. Obviously there are some practical applications for politics and they do affect me so politics is important but it's not more important than 75% of the other stuff I have to deal with.

Impossible to give a single answer, sorry.
Some issues affect me directly, like health insurance.
Other issues, like the kerfuffle about gender, just as one example, do not.

Of course I care about LGBTQ people being treated like crap when they don't deserve it.
But the fact is, I don't wig out if a trans or other similar type person winds up in a public restroom...they have to do all the same things I have to do and as long as they behave in a civilized and courteous manner, it's just not a problem to me.
But I doubt I'd do very much marching and protesting about it.
If I ran across a person treating one of them badly over it, I'd do my best to set that person straight.
That's about the extent of it.

I'll never memorize all the cis-this, cis-that, whatever.

The Minneapolis cop thing affects me directly because I spent the formative years of my youth there and I both observed AND experienced the rogue behavior and brutality of the Third Precinct personally, so of course that issue is something I take personally.
The most interesting part about that incident is that it has exposed the true core and source of the issue and it's not the cops as much as it is the UNIONS they belong to. Police unions are a bizarre outlier in the world of organized labor, and it appears that most of them are corrupt to the core, but not in the way a labor union normally experiences corruption.

Police union corruption is moral and civil corruption more than financial.

I don't think it's a practical question.
You have to ask people WHICH political ISSUES they take personally, not "How personally do you take political issues"
That kind of question implies that people are one-dimensional.
Really, it's binary thinking.

I honestly don't much care.

I mostly care how much taxes I have to pay, and what I get for it. But, for instance, if I'm paying sky-high taxes so the government can fund state universities, and the state universities are mostly admitting foreign students and not my kids, then that's the time to complain.

Impossible to give a single answer, sorry.
Some issues affect me directly, like health insurance.
Other issues, like the kerfuffle about gender, just as one example, do not.

Of course I care about LGBTQ people being treated like crap when they don't deserve it.
But the fact is, I don't wig out if a trans or other similar type person winds up in a public restroom...they have to do all the same things I have to do and as long as they behave in a civilized and courteous manner, it's just not a problem to me.
But I doubt I'd do very much marching and protesting about it.
If I ran across a person treating one of them badly over it, I'd do my best to set that person straight.
That's about the extent of it.

I'll never memorize all the cis-this, cis-that, whatever.

The Minneapolis cop thing affects me directly because I spent the formative years of my youth there and I both observed AND experienced the rogue behavior and brutality of the Third Precinct personally, so of course that issue is something I take personally.
The most interesting part about that incident is that it has exposed the true core and source of the issue and it's not the cops as much as it is the UNIONS they belong to. Police unions are a bizarre outlier in the world of organized labor, and it appears that most of them are corrupt to the core, but not in the way a labor union normally experiences corruption.

Police union corruption is moral and civil corruption more than financial.

I don't think it's a practical question.
You have to ask people WHICH political ISSUES they take personally, not "How personally do you take political issues"
That kind of question implies that people are one-dimensional.
Really, it's binary thinking.

I think That what I am trying to ask in this poll is different then what I actually intended to ask.

I think I was trying to ask how much does political tribalism influence peoples behavior.

What you hope for is that it won't be important. Unfortunately, it's when politicians screw up that it becomes important. So right now it's important. One of the best reasons to vote for Biden/Harris is to make it unimportant again.

It could be a 5 or a 6 or a 10 but in reality it is only a 1. I am not rich, not poor, not unemployed, not black, not Hispanic, not transgendered, not female, not urban so I am the forgotten demographic. The parties don't know I exist except occasionally for a an election year 1-liner in a speech. It is probably a good thing on balance, but not always.

I think That what I am trying to ask in this poll is different then what I actually intended to ask.

I think I was trying to ask how much does political tribalism influence peoples behavior.

Wow...very very different question.
For me, near ZERO...I am all about country over party.

I am not perfect about it but let's just say that when I observe it in others or catch myself being too tribal it's an uncomfortable feeling.
I would much rather pursue a more relaxed and inclusive approach.
I know some libertarian type cons who are wonderful people. At first I thought they were entitled pricks, but getting to know them personally, they just approach from the other side of the room, that's all. I find it entirely possible to meet them in the middle and any friction is reduced to "arm punching" and jokes.

Tribalism is preparation for war, plain and simple. The more tribal people get, the closer we get to war.

I take the issues I care about seriously, whether we are talking about gun rights, limiting the power of the state and non-state actors over individuals, maintaining the checks and balances of institutional power, freedom of speech, and lowering deficits, etc. But I try not to be so invested in it that I start treating it like a team sport and behave like a rabid football hooligan.

Unfortunately, because we are in a two-party first-past-the-post system, only one Party generally represents my values to any degree. So if I want to protect what I care about from further encroachment by the state, I have only one vehicle by which to do so, which is the current instantiation of the Republican Party. If a better conservative party comes along for me to vote for, I will vote for candidates from that Party instead.

Wow...very very different question.
For me, near ZERO...I am all about country over party.

I am not perfect about it but let's just say that when I observe it in others or catch myself being too tribal it's an uncomfortable feeling.
I would much rather pursue a more relaxed and inclusive approach.
I know some libertarian type cons who are wonderful people. At first I thought they were entitled pricks, but getting to know them personally, they just approach from the other side of the room, that's all. I find it entirely possible to meet them in the middle and any friction is reduced to "arm punching" and jokes.

Tribalism is preparation for war, plain and simple. The more tribal people get, the closer we get to war.

And the question I was trying to ask was whether people considered themselves to be politically at war.

And the divide seems to be “liberalism versus conservativism”

Anyone who partakes in "identity politics" thinking-ideology will obviously take political issues and outcomes very personally compared to those who don't succumb to "identity politics".

Since only the left is infamous for being played by Democratic Party pandering into succumbing to "identity politics" ..

.. The left most certainly takes politics more personally than the right.

That's not necessarily bad campaigning and results-wise, as those who take it more personally often are more motivated to campaign, and greater degrees of campaigning can increase the odds of achieving election goals.

The downside with people who succumb to "identity politics", thereby taking issues and results so ego-personally, is that when they lose an election .. like in 2016 .. their ego is fractured and they're emotionally devastated to the degree they need psychotherapy and "safe spaces" established in universities and other institutions for them to seek "refuge" .. from their feelings .. and recover.

Conceptually: 8-10.

Depending on how it shows itself: Varies.

Like, a lot of the fights about language, social events, whatever...doesn’t really impress me all that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And the question I was trying to ask was whether people considered themselves to be politically at war.

And the divide seems to be “liberalism versus conservativism”

Oh hell no, it's not libs versus cons, because the cons have been declared "men without a country" for the most part.
Sorry, I do not refer to Trump and Trump supporters as conservatives, because they aren't the least bit conservative.
As probably 70 percent of REAL conservatives have already argued, Trumpism has dashed almost every core conservative principle known to man against the rocks.
Trump gets a resounding "F" on conservatism.

Nope...this is about Trumpers versus the Rest of the Entire WORLD.
And it's the Trumpers giving the rest of the world the massive stinkeye.

I take the issues I care about seriously, whether we are talking about gun rights, limiting the power of the state and non-state actors over individuals, maintaining the checks and balances of institutional power, freedom of speech, and lowering deficits, etc. But I try not to be so invested in it that I start treating it like a team sport and behave like a rabid football hooligan.

Unfortunately, because we are in a two-party first-past-the-post system, only one Party generally represents my values to any degree. So if I want to protect what I care about from further encroachment by the state, I have only one vehicle by which to do so, which is the current instantiation of the Republican Party. If a better conservative party comes along for me to vote for, I will vote for candidates from that Party instead.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom