• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How One Woman Brought the GOP Money Machine to its Knees

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Emily J. Miller, once a director for Tom Delay, worked at the State Department. She was also Michael Scanlon's fiancee, that is, until Scanlon had an affair with his manicurist, and broke off the engagement with Miller in order to marry the other woman.

Now here's the rub. Emily Miller also knew every intimate detail about the Abramoff-Scanlon-Delay setup, along with locations of documents and emails. She gave up all the documentation to the prosecution, and became the star witness for the prosecution which indicted Michael Scanlon, which eventually led to the conviction of Jack Abramoff.

The corruption in Washington would never had been found out if not for Ms. Miller. As the old saying goes, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. The Abramoff scandal, and those who go down as a result of it, are going to be big news this entire year. However, although the backstory of Emily Miller will be mostly overlooked, it is the most fascinating aspect of the whole sordid affair.

Article is here.

Yeah Abramoff and his cronies have been caught defrauding his clients and the government over certain business deals.

But your title intriques me. Please elaborate on how this has brought the "GOP Money Machine" to it's knees. Are you trying to say that the political contribtutions to the GOP will even see a ripple because of this? I'd like to see that theory expounded upon. How about the "Dem Money Machine" so far it is being reported a little of a third of the so far just project congress people involved are Dems.

danarhea said:
Emily J. Miller, once a director for Tom Delay, worked at the State Department. She was also Michael Scanlon's fiancee, that is, until Scanlon had an affair with his manicurist, and broke off the engagement with Miller in order to marry the other woman.

Now here's the rub. Emily Miller also knew every intimate detail about the Abramoff-Scanlon-Delay setup, along with locations of documents and emails. She gave up all the documentation to the prosecution, and became the star witness for the prosecution which indicted Michael Scanlon, which eventually led to the conviction of Jack Abramoff.

The corruption in Washington would never had been found out if not for Ms. Miller. As the old saying goes, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. The Abramoff scandal, and those who go down as a result of it, are going to be big news this entire year. However, although the backstory of Emily Miller will be mostly overlooked, it is the most fascinating aspect of the whole sordid affair.

Article is here.

Yea, ..& just wait until Abramoff starts singing; you among others are going to see that his money bought a lot of influence, ..not just republican either!

The making of a democratic party nightmare, ..I.. T H I N K SO..., especially since the DNC had thought that they had the whole "culture of corruption" phraseology all pinned on just the republicans. Huh huh...:lol:

Stinger said:
Yeah Abramoff and his cronies have been caught defrauding his clients and the government over certain business deals.

But your title intriques me. Please elaborate on how this has brought the "GOP Money Machine" to it's knees. Are you trying to say that the political contribtutions to the GOP will even see a ripple because of this? I'd like to see that theory expounded upon. How about the "Dem Money Machine" so far it is being reported a little of a third of the so far just project congress people involved are Dems.

It brought the GOP money machine to it's knees because it's the GOP that's in trouble now. I don't know of the assertation that a third of those invovled were Dems. All I've heard invovles members of the Republican party. The only 2 Dems I've heard that might have been invovled had returned the money they recieved.

Anyway, it seems the lobbying plan was a key to the GOP strategy.

article here

Stu Ghatze said:
Yea, ..& just wait until Abramoff starts singing; you among others are going to see that his money bought a lot of influence, ..not just republican either!

The making of a democratic party nightmare, ..I.. T H I N K SO..., especially since the DNC had thought that they had the whole "culture of corruption" phraseology all pinned on just the republicans. Huh huh...:lol:

Although the Abramoff money machine was strictly for Republicans, I have no doubt that a few Democrats are going to get burned for their participation with some of Abramoff's clients, especially the tribal ones. At this time, 2 names come to mind - Dorgan and Reid. I say let them burn too.

Lefty said:
It brought the GOP money machine to it's knees because it's the GOP that's in trouble now. I don't know of the assertation that a third of those invovled were Dems.

Then you need to listen and read more.

All I've heard invovles members of the Republican party.

Then you are whoafully uniformed.

The only 2 Dems I've heard that might have been invovled had returned the money they recieved.

Well which is it? All you've heard is it's Republicans or that there are some Democrats involved?

"Among the biggest beneficiaries were Capitol Hill's most powerful Democrats, including Thomas A. Daschle (S.D.) and Harry M. Reid (Nev.), the top two Senate Democrats at the time, Richard A. Gephardt (Mo.), then-leader of the House Democrats, and the two lawmakers in charge of raising funds for their Democratic colleagues in both chambers, according to a Washington Post study. Reid succeeded Daschle as Democratic leader after Daschle lost his Senate seat last November......................

Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy (D-R.I.) ran second, with $128,000 in the same period. From 1999 to 2001, Kennedy chaired the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which solicited campaign donations for House candidates.......................

Of the 18 largest recipients of tribe contributions directed by Abramoff's group, six, or one-third, were Democrats. These included Sen. Patty Murray (Wash.), who chaired the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee from 2001 to 2002, and Sen. Byron L. Dorgan (N.D.), a leader in Indian affairs legislation.................."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060202158.html

Maybe you should do a little fact checking before you misrepresent the issues.

Anyway, it seems the lobbying plan was a key to the GOP strategy.

Lobbying plans are and have been keystones for both parties since they have existed.

danarhea said:
Although the Abramoff money machine was strictly for Republicans, I have no doubt that a few Democrats are going to get burned for their participation with some of Abramoff's clients, especially the tribal ones. At this time, 2 names come to mind - Dorgan and Reid. I say let them burn too.

How about Kennedy, Daschl and Gephart?

Stinger said:
How about Kennedy, Daschl and Gephart?
Sure, if they were taking money from Indian tribes in exchange for their votes, they should burn too.

So can we agree that Kennedy, Daschle, Gephardt, Delay, Ney, Burns, and whoever else is involved in this, should be held responsible if the evidence shows that they voted according to money given to them? If so, then we are on the same page.

However, the subject of this thread is how one woman brought down Abramoff, who happens to be the main GOP fundraiser in existence. Abramoff was not an equal opportunity giver, as the Bushneviks claim. As shown by the paper trail, Abramoff himself gave not a penny to Democrats. However, if Democrats were doing a little hanky panky of their own, they should also go down.

Last edited:
danarhea said:
Sure, if they were taking money from Indian tribes in exchange for their votes, they should burn too.

So can we agree that Kennedy, Daschle, Gephardt, Delay, Ney, Burns, and whoever else is involved in this, should be held responsible if the evidence shows that they voted according to money given to them? If so, then we are on the same page.

However, the subject of this thread is how one woman brought down Abramoff, who happens to be the main GOP fundraiser in existence. Abramoff was not an equal opportunity giver, as the Bushneviks claim. As shown by the paper trail, Abramoff himself gave not a penny to Democrats. However, if Democrats were doing a little hanky panky of their own, they should also go down.

Agreed. Whomever is guilty should pay. Republican or Democrat.

danarhea said:

What if they were just voting that way and the Indian Tribes thought it might be a good idea to make sure they got relected so they gave them campaign money?

And how do you prove that? Same with Delay and any Republicans involved.

However, the subject of this thread is how one woman brought down Abramoff, who happens to be the main GOP fundraiser in existence.

Where do you get that idea?

Abramoff was not an equal opportunity giver, as the Bushneviks claim. As shown by the paper trail, Abramoff himself gave not a penny to Democrats. However, if Democrats were doing a little hanky panky of their own, they should also go down.

Personally, maybe not but then what he gave personally was miniscule compared to the money he dealt with as a lobbyist for other people and that was spread around to anyone who would take it, on both sides of the aisle.

And I wait to see what the Justice Department, you know the Bush Justice Department which investigate and indicted him, can come up with.

But to claim as the subject of this thread does that the GOP MONEY MACHINE has bee hurt is folly.

Wanna bet they raise more money next year than the year before? That this won't make a hill of beans?

Back
Top Bottom