• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Obama Officials Cried ‘Terrorism’ to Cover Up a Paperwork Error

TacticalEvilDan

Shankmasta Killa
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
FBI agent Kevin Kelley was investigating Muslims in the San Francisco Bay Area in 2004 when he checked the wrong box on a terrorism form, erroneously placing Rahinah Ibrahim on the no-fly list.

What happened next was the real shame. Instead of admitting to the error, high-ranking President Barack Obama administration officials spent years covering it up. Attorney General Eric Holder, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, and a litany of other government officials claimed repeatedly that disclosing the reason Ibrahim was detained, or even acknowledging that she’d been placed on a watch list, would cause serious damage to the U.S. national security. Again and again they asserted the so-called “state secrets privilege” to block the 48-year-old woman’s lawsuit, which sought only to clear her name.

[...]

The woman was even barred a return flight for her own trial. So was one of her daughters, a U.S. born American citizen, who witnessed her mother’s humiliation at the San Francisco airport.

How Obama Officials Cried 'Terrorism' to Cover Up a Paperwork Error | Threat Level | Wired.com

Can someone explain to me, please, how it is that when government officials assert the state's secret privilege and claim in open court that they can't disclose the reason Ibrahim was detained, or even acknowledge that she’d been placed on a watch list because doing so would cause serious damage to the U.S. national security, this is not perjury? How is it that taking the judge for a ride, to the point where the case is dismissed only to get dropped back in their lap on appeal, is not a crime?

The Department of Justice is out of control and needs to be brought to heel.

Time for the small-government conservatives in Washington to put their money where their mouth is.

How Obama Officials Cried 'Terrorism' to Cover Up a Paperwork Error | Threat Level | Wired.com

Can someone explain to me, please, how it is that when government officials assert the state's secret privilege and claim in open court that they can't disclose the reason Ibrahim was detained, or even acknowledge that she’d been placed on a watch list because doing so would cause serious damage to the U.S. national security, this is not perjury? How is it that taking the judge for a ride, to the point where the case is dismissed only to get dropped back in their lap on appeal, is not a crime?

This is what gov't bureaucrats do.
Obfuscate rather than admit an error.
Claiming national security concerns is the last refuge of scoundrels.

The Department of Justice is out of control and needs to be brought to heel.

Time for the small-government conservatives in Washington to put their money where their mouth is.

I'm not a conservative and I'm not anti-gov't.
What I am is anti-STUPID GOV'T.
This incident fits the description---stupid gov't.

I'm no Obama apologist but how is this Obama's doing if it happened in 2004?

I'm no Obama apologist but how is this Obama's doing if it happened in 2004?

Because Obama's bureaucrats are spouting the same "national security" defense drivel as the last administration.
Just admit the FBI agent screwed-up and move forward.
Why is that such a problem?

Because it has continued for the past 5 years, with the participation of his Attorney General, whose participation was quoted for the article.

My bad. I didn't delve into the linked article like I should have.

Because Obama's bureaucrats are spouting the same "national security" defense drivel as the last administration.
Just admit the FBI agent screwed-up and move forward.
Why is that such a problem?

Maybe it's possible that Obama's adminstration wasn't aware initially that it was a mistake? Afterall, she would have been on that no fly list for for nearly 5 years by the time Obama took office.

My bad. I didn't delve into the linked article like I should have.

No problemo.....I do it all the time.:)

Maybe it's possible that Obama's adminstration wasn't aware initially that it was a mistake? Afterall, she would have been on that no fly list for for nearly 5 years by the time Obama took office.

Probably, but at some point they DID know, and continued the stupidity.
I would be interested in hearing an explanation, but that would probably compromise "national security".;)

This is what gov't bureaucrats do.
Obfuscate rather than admit an error.
Claiming national security concerns is the last refuge of scoundrels.

I'm not a conservative and I'm not anti-gov't.
What I am is anti-STUPID GOV'T.
This incident fits the description---stupid gov't.

Asking for non-stupid government is like asking a cat to bark. It ain't gonna happen.

"Security concerns"...

LOL!!

Yeah...concerns over the security of his JOB!!

I'm actually more annoyed by the fact that Federal agents will apparently just investigate people based on their religion.

Back
Top Bottom