• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Obama is Invading Your Home

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
How Obama is Invading Your Home | Competitive Enterprise Institute

The Obama administration isn't satisfied giving the American public vast things we don't want — from stimulus packages to bailouts to ObamaCare: It's a small-scale nuisance, too — witness its attempt to redesign home appliances.

Just weeks after taking office, the president ordered the Energy Department to speed up the process of issuing harsh new energy-efficiency standards for appliances.

In the pipeline are dumb regulations for almost everything that plugs in or fires up in your home.

In nearly every case, consumers who want more efficient appliances — or those compact fluorescent light bulbs — are free to buy them. Energy-use labels tell you everything you need to know to make comparisons. All the federal rules do is is to force the government's preferred choice on everyone.

Once again, a government agencies unaccountable to the masses shoving crap down our throats.

I'm less concerned about the Department of Energy having stricter standards for appliances and more concerned about the greater powers given to FISA courts under Bush.

And frankly, that it is still given.

Incandescent bulbs are ancient, obsolete, horribly inefficient pieces of technology. They're almost 200 years old now. You run electricity through a wire that, due to its inefficiency of transfer, will heat up like crazy. It heats up enough to glow, and you get light. 90% of the electricity used in such a bulb is wasted as heat. They're responsible for an enormous amount of waste across the world. They have to go. Blah blah blah personal rights. Guess what? You can't have your incandescent bulbs, whale oil, or old-fashioned coal plants that run completely without emissions control. It's cheaper to buy electricity from such a plant, but it also destroys the ecosystem due to acid rain, and the amount of uranium in coal means that there's more uranium waste from a coal plant than a nuclear plant, except it's spit directly into the atmosphere.

Incandescent bulbs cause massive power waste which causes pollution. There's no constitutional right to pollute the air. Deal with it. CFL's will save you money anyway.

Last edited:
Fisa continued under obama

Cfl bulbs are full of mercury.

Hooray progress. :roll:

Fisa continued under obama

Cfl bulbs are full of mercury.

Hooray progress. :roll:

Halogen and LED lights do not have mercury. CFLs contain, on average, about 4mg of mercury. Some as low as 1.5mg. In fact, an incandescent bulb ends up putting more mercury into the environment just from the extra electricity use. (mercury being a small part of the emissions of coal power plants)

Incandescent bulbs are 200 year old technology. Sorry.

I applaud this. What zimmer calls "cramming crap down our throats" is in fact some of the most intelligent and thoughtful environmental legislation I've seen. This is the sort of systemic approach to sustainability that we should have had all along. It eliminates a lot of waste, and the only people who don't like it are the ones who have a vested interest in the manufacture of old-fashioned, inefficient light bulbs and refrigerators. It might be interference with people's freedom to use wasteful high-flow toilets, but they still can use them, they just have to pay more. It's far more libertarian to support environmentally sound regulatory policy than to use the government as a bludgeon to prop up a dying industry of wasteful, obsolete fixture technology.

Last edited:
This thread encapsulates the American political debate. The conservative makes an irrational untrue claim which evokes a fearful emotional response. The liberal side responds with rational factual argument which is largely lost in the fear. Their problem is not the message but the mode of transmission.

Well, I for one am a red blooded American conservative, and I want my rights to 200 year old technology. The gestapo like highway patrol, paid for by the gubment that wants to run our lives, won't let me drive my horse and buggy on the freeway, claiming nonsense like highway safety and the inability of my conveyance to keep up with traffic, not to mention no seat belts or air bags.

And if I want to buy a brand new refrigerator made just like the one grandpa had, why is that invasive government telling me I cant?

Dang liberals are ruining the country!

CFLs contain, on average, about 4mg of mercury. Some as low as 1.5mg.
Citation of any CFL that has 1.5mg of mercury?

In fact, an incandescent bulb ends up putting more mercury into the environment just from the extra electricity use. (mercury being a small part of the emissions of coal power plants)
The same power plants will end up putting the same amount of mercury in the atmosphere as long as coal is used. You're hanging a red herring on incandecent bulbs. Second, CFL's are considered toxic and mercury vapor used in CFL's, as other forms are mercury are cumulative, meaning - they can accumulate in a house over time. Thinking of how many incandecent lightbulbs have busted over the years in my house - were they CFL's my home may be toxic to animal or children for that matter. Third, mercury CFL bulbs have to be disposed of in a toxic recycling facility - not so with incandecent lightbulbs. And lastly - if I want to pay more and use inefficient appliances, bulbs, cars, computers, etc... who has the right to tell me I cannot as long as I pay for the inefficency?

Regarding the article - I have a few houses I rent and have remodeled. I would not install new toilets in my own house as the high efficiency toilets - well, they suck. Yep I use more water at my house, but I also have my own well. All these bans and changes are going to do is push the "inefficient" stuff into the second or third markets. Go down to some shabby part of town, not for drugs or prostitutes, but for a refurbed shower head, some light bulbs and a blender that actually blends something. Mass use and the incorrect disposal of CFL's under the guise of "efficiency" will eventually poison people, give them cancer and with mercury - it never goes away. Even 4mg of it. Give me the inefficient Edison lightbulb any day.

And there's nothing wrong with them. 200 years old, or 2,000 years old when something works it works. Until some smart person invents a non-toxic updated version of a lightbulb that's more efficient and affordable, I'm stocking up on incandecent bulbs.

NAN3276.jpg

wait till he gets to your cars​

Speaking of energy and efficientcy...This whole electric car thing I think is BS. I don't know about you folks but I like to hear my car respond after shifting gears and punching the gas pedal...I want to put ultra premium fuel into my car..not plug into some wall outlet..there's nothing appealing about those ugly little cars too. I hate the EPA about as much as I hate PETA. They could choose the option of making more diesel 4-cylinder engines in smaller mid-size trucks and cars..the mileage per gallon would be excellent..when I lived back home in Japan I had a toyota truck that was diesel and it would go forever. Let them suck on that tailpipe.

Last edited:
This thread encapsulates the American political debate. The conservative makes an irrational untrue claim which evokes a fearful emotional response. The liberal side responds with rational factual argument which is largely lost in the fear. Their problem is not the message but the mode of transmission.

I wouldn't limit it to only conservatives, but this is the problem here. And partisans are more than willing to swallow their critical thinking and willingly suspend their disbelief.

Halogen and LED lights do not have mercury. CFLs contain, on average, about 4mg of mercury. Some as low as 1.5mg. In fact, an incandescent bulb ends up putting more mercury into the environment just from the extra electricity use. (mercury being a small part of the emissions of coal power plants)

Gotta link for that claim?

So only liberals can be right? Are you freaking serious bro? :lamo

This thread is filled with lulz, the Good Reverend thanks you.

:lamo

no really...

:lamo

Always good to some things never change. But a worthy response from you would be a nice change all the same. MS was correct. People are hyperbolic in their misbeliefs. Perhaps you would limit that to republicans, I can only guess from your response, but he was otherwise correct.

I'm stocking up on incandecent bulbs.

Better hurry....

Sep 8, 2010 ... The radical left forced the last US light bulb plant to close its doors. From now on we will import all of green bulbs from China. ...
Gateway Pundit

They have, LED light bulbs.

Hm...

Cost per hour of use is lower on the incandecent lightbulb. LED lights are very expensive - so affordable LED's are not. Nor are CFL's. Given the low cost of incandecent bulbs, and the potential hazards of CFL's, I don't agree that the efficiency trade off is being enough to make the change. It may make sense when our population is 1 billion people and the energy needs are so tight that efficiency is a life/death issue - but that has yet to happen.

Better hurry....

Sep 8, 2010 ... The radical left forced the last US light bulb plant to close its doors. From now on we will import all of green bulbs from China. ... .
Gateway Pundit

There's plenty left and there will still be plent manufactured. I purchase bulbs every time im in the hardware store. 2x 12packs once a month - I'll be set for 20 years

Always good to some things never change. But a worthy response from you would be a nice change all the same. MS was correct. People are hyperbolic in their misbeliefs. Perhaps you would limit that to republicans, I can only guess from your response, but he was otherwise correct.

blah blah blah blah. You calling anyone hyper-partisan is more Ironic than a sheryl crow song and it's not about a right and left thing brother. . :prof

Citation of any CFL that has 1.5mg of mercury?
Green Lighting Guide | Environmental Working Group

The same power plants will end up putting the same amount of mercury in the atmosphere as long as coal is used. You're hanging a red herring on incandecent bulbs.
Incorrect. You can calculate the mercury emissions of a coal plant per kilowatt-hour. One incandescent bulb ends up emitting more mercury than the mercury contained in the CFL + the mercury from CFL energy use.

Second, CFL's are considered toxic and mercury vapor used in CFL's, as other forms are mercury are cumulative, meaning - they can accumulate in a house over time. Thinking of how many incandecent lightbulbs have busted over the years in my house - were they CFL's my home may be toxic to animal or children for that matter. Third, mercury CFL bulbs have to be disposed of in a toxic recycling facility - not so with incandecent lightbulbs. And lastly - if I want to pay more and use inefficient appliances, bulbs, cars, computers, etc... who has the right to tell me I cannot as long as I pay for the inefficency?

That's the thing, you aren't paying for the inefficiency. You aren't paying the environmental cleanup costs of your extra energy use. Your incandescent bulb is artificially cheap because you aren't billed for the emissions.

Regarding the article - I have a few houses I rent and have remodeled. I would not install new toilets in my own house as the high efficiency toilets - well, they suck. Yep I use more water at my house, but I also have my own well. All these bans and changes are going to do is push the "inefficient" stuff into the second or third markets. Go down to some shabby part of town, not for drugs or prostitutes, but for a refurbed shower head, some light bulbs and a blender that actually blends something. Mass use and the incorrect disposal of CFL's under the guise of "efficiency" will eventually poison people, give them cancer and with mercury - it never goes away. Even 4mg of it. Give me the inefficient Edison lightbulb any day.

Halogen bulbs are more efficient if you're that worried about mercury.

And there's nothing wrong with them. 200 years old, or 2,000 years old when something works it works. Until some smart person invents a non-toxic updated version of a lightbulb that's more efficient and affordable, I'm stocking up on incandecent bulbs.

Do you also oppose cleaner standards for power plants?

Back
Top Bottom