• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How news media omissions distort Russia probe narrative ... and shield Democrats

chuckiechan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
https://thehill.com/opinion/white-h...ons-distort-russia-probe-narrative-and-shield

CNN and others ran speculative reports suggesting Russians or Republicans could be involved in a mysterious grand jury subpoena fight involving special counsel Robert Mueller.

[Snip]

Here’s another one. The New York Times — which considers itself a bastion of journalism but whose work of late was questioned by its former editor — wrote a story this week on the federal obstruction-of-justice indictment of Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya.

[Snip]

And there’s more paradigm-changing facts excluded from the Times story. Veselnitskaya managed to get into the U.S. because the Obama administration originally gave her a special parole visa.

Hmmm. The lawyer who sets up the Trump Tower meeting gets her original entry to the United States based on a special act by the Obama Justice Department. Seems relevant but, once again, absent from the story.

[Snip]

Here’s why that omission is relevant: If U.S. intelligence knew long ago of Kilimnik’s ties to Russia, and the George W. Bush intelligence apparatus warned a presidential contender in 2005, why didn’t the Barack Obama intelligence community do the same in 2016 when Kilimnik’s colleague, Manafort, joined the Trump campaign as chairman?

So the relevant phrase here is "lies of omission" used to change the context of the reports.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-h...ons-distort-russia-probe-narrative-and-shield

So the relevant phrase here is "lies of omission" used to change the context of the reports.

Another tactic used constantly by the Trump hating news media is "unnamed sources". This tactic allows them to present a narrative without taking responsibility for the narrative. "We didn't say it. Our unnamed source said it." But the narrative still gets presented and the useful idiot news consumers think it's factual. Also, after a narrative has been presented in this manner...after useful idiots believe it's true...the media then present NEW narratives, citing unnamed sources, and referencing those past narratives. This is to give false credibility to the new narratives.

So...add these two tactics with the "lies of omission" tactic and we end up with totally misleading and unsupported narratives that the useful idiots believe to be true.

Please...everyone...stop consuming Trump hating news. It's a distortion of reality.

There are lots of twists and turn in "Fake News" reporting.

16 Fake News Stories Reporters Have Run Since Trump Won. (February 6, 2017)
16 Fake News Stories Reporters Have Run Since Trump Won

Examples of fake news in Trump coverage (March 1, 2017)
https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/op...1/examples-fake-news-trump-coverage/98594826/

Here Are The Most Egregious Fake News Stories Of 2018 (12/12/2018)
https://dailycaller.com/2018/12/22/worst-fake-news-stories-cnn-nbc-2018/

I can recall several offhand myself.

All those allegations of racism, sexism, hatred of the disabled, etc., based on his campaign speeches which were proven to be opinions and not facts when the actual speeches were reviewed.

There was that attempt to show Trump had offended the Japanese when he dumped food into the Koi pond when meeting the Japanese Prime Minister...but the video showed he simply followed the P.M. Shinzo Abe's lead.

I wonder why people don't mind lying if it comes from their "trusted sources" in the MSN?

While all of what you say is true the question is why is this happening? The answer might be that "news" is now conflated with entertainment. News has to compete with free internet as well as more competitors than the past. Thus true investigative reporting is essentially dead. That process is both time consuming and expensive. Sort of like taking away R&D from a lot of industries. Eventually the product becomes less and less valuable in most instances.

Please...everyone...stop consuming Trump hating news. It's a distortion of reality.

I second the motion.

I have proudly not watched MSNBC or CNN since the inauguration of the 45th president in January, 2017.

Of course, I have not read the New York Times or the Washington Post since then, either.

I will not let myself be contaminated by fake news.

Because I am very old, I still subscribe to the print (yes, print!) edition of the Los Angeles Times because I am accustomed to touching paper every morning. But I just read the headlines, the weather report, and the comics. Then I throw it away. I do not read its biased news columns. (I realize that it has to be a bleeding heart if it wants to stay in business in liberal Los Angeles.)

I agree with many of these posts, although other than the Russian collusion, I don't see Trump as a target. When he lies, it gets reported. When he exaggerates, it gets reported. When he offends the NeoCons anti Trump stories propagate like flies. Fake news guidelines-Russia trying to take over the EU, Syria is run by a dictator, Iran is behind terrorism, Saudi Arabia is misunderstood, Yemen is a hotbed of terrorists, Israel is a good guy, NATO is not a dinosaur, USA needs the Trillion dollar Military Offense budget, Syria uses poison gas, Skripal poisoned by Russians, Moderate rebels in Syria, and that's the short laundry list.
/

Back
Top Bottom