• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How much plastic do you eat?

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
A recent study has found that people eat five grams of micro and nanoplastics every week.

From the most remote depths of the ocean, to the deepest section of the lung, microplastics appear to have invaded every bit of our lives, including the human gastrointestinal tract. The Medical University of Vienna has recently published a study in the journal Exposure & Health which suggests that on average, five grams of plastic particles enter the human gastrointestinal tract per person, per week.

Previous studies have already found particles in the human blood and organs. While microplastics have also been found to harm unborn babies.

What are microplastics?

More than 8.3 billion tonnes of plastic has been produced by humans since the 1950s, 79 per cent of which has ended up in landfill and the natural environment.

1649813005600.png

I did some work a number of years ago on the quantity of plastic fibers in drinking water.

It's even worse than it appears.

I did some work a number of years ago on the quantity of plastic fibers in drinking water.

It's even worse than it appears.
Probably so, but I'm pretty sure the amount inhaled, long term, will wind up being a bigger problem for the health of humanity.

Probably so, but I'm pretty sure the amount inhaled, long term, will wind up being a bigger problem for the health of humanity.

They've found fibers in deep sea life in the Marianas Trench. The shit is everywhere.

I mean, it's not a surprise, given our willingness to leave it all over the place.

They've found fibers in deep sea life in the Marianas Trench. The shit is everywhere.

I mean, it's not a surprise, given our willingness to leave it all over the place.

Yep. Interesting article, but I don't think there's much of anything we can do about it. The recommendations in the article were a bit extreme, in my opinion. I don't drink bottled water, but so what? Like you say, it's everywhere.

My generation is the Animal House generation. We just trashed the Earth.

“I just want to say one word to you, Ben. Just. One. Word. Are you listening? Plastics. There’s a great future in plastics.”

Yes, plastic waste is one of the worst pollution problems in the world. There is an island of plastic bigger than the state of Texas floating around the Pacific. Most of it came from China. That is why I don't buy anything made in China unless I have no other choice.

Compared to climate change plastic doesn't worry me.

All I'm saying is give plastic a chance.

Back
Top Bottom