• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How much personal debt do you have?

How much personal debt do you have?

• None!

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Under $1,000

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • $1,000-$5,000

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • $5,000-$10,000

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • $10,000-$25,000

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • $25,000-$50,000

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • $50,000-$75,000

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • $75,000-$100,000

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • $100,000-$200,000

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Over $200,000

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
If you're comfortable....how much personal debt do you have? Do you think you can be debt-free anytime soon? Do you follow a certain plan to achieve your financial goals?

0, but I am not going to vote. Feels wrong to when I can still live under my parents.

OOPs I voted 0 when it should have been under a $1000. I forgot I make dinky payments every month to pay off medical bills.
Otherwise, I am relatively poor, but debt free.
Hey, wouldn't that make me wealthier than someone driving a new car with payments and living in a fancy house with a mortgage?
Whoo Hoo, I'm rich!

Over 100k if you include the house
about 40k without the house (mostly student loans)

Working on paying it off.

I have about 200K left on our mortgage on a piece of property I bought for 475K and is now worth a couple million So I guess I have that much debt though the current value of the land has skyrocketed (was farm land, now the stuff next door went for 100K an acre)

I guess net I have no debt but on the books I have the morgtage

If you don't count the house, less than $2000. If you do, probably around $75,000 total, although the house is now worth about a million and a half.

I have about $20k in my name (all student loans). I'm also paying off another $25k in parent plus loans that are in my parent's names.

I don't know. I've got a bunch of medical bills for me and my kids, from before we had insurance.
Bill collectors call me all the time, but I just ignore them. I never plan to pay it, and it doesn't affect my life any. I don't know the amount, nor do i care. I'm sure it's over a hundred thousand, all told.

Other than that, i don't think I have any debt.

Do you follow a certain plan to achieve your financial goals?
I learned from my dad to save and pay upfront for everything except a house and then pay that off as soon as possible. I know that's not always realistic, but I cringe when I see friends putting luxuries on credit cards. That's just stupid.

Mine is in student loans as well. Someday they'll be gone. :)

I'm hoping to be rid of them within the next 5 years.

I don't know. I've got a bunch of medical bills for me and my kids, from before we had insurance.
Bill collectors call me all the time, but I just ignore them. I never plan to pay it, and it doesn't affect my life any. I don't know the amount, nor do i care. I'm sure it's over a hundred thousand, all told.

You feel no obligation to pay it back?

Nope.
I think medical care is a right, and that it should be free.

Well, it's not a right and it's not free. So....

While I agree that it should be made into a right in this society, until it is, we should make all attempts to follow the current laws.

Other than that, i don't think I have any debt.

I'm sorry for you. I know how that feels with medical bills.:-(
I couldn't sleep and I hated answering the phone. It was affecting my life. I finally faced the problem and talked to them. I agreed to pay like $25 to $30 a month to the different drs and hospitals and they were very nice about it. When my husband died I continued the payments but was eventually contacted about the one HUGE bill I owed and they said they were going to write the whole thing off. They even sent me flowers!
So now I've got the rest down to under a thousand.
So, all I have to worry about is waiting on my free Obamacare so I can be insured. LOL

I'm sorry for you. I know how that feels with medical bills.:-(
I couldn't sleep and I hated answering the phone. It was affecting my life. I finally faced the problem and talked to them. I agreed to pay like $25 to $30 a month to the different drs and hospitals and they were very nice about it. When my husband died I continued the payments but was eventually contacted about the one HUGE bill I owed and they said they were going to write the whole thing off. They even sent me flowers!
So now I've got the rest down to under a thousand.
So, all I have to worry about is waiting on my free Obamacare so I can be insured. LOL

It's okay.
I only answer because my kids no longer live at home, and so when somebody calls from a number I don't recognize, I get scared something's happened to them and I have to answer (hooray for anxiety disorder :?).
If it weren't for that, I'd simply never answer.
As soon as I find out it's bill collectors, I hang up.
It's not like those people calling really care if i ever pay my hospital bills.
They barely speak English. I think the collection agencies outsource to India or something.
They're just doing their job, reading a script off a piece of paper.
So I try not to be mean to them.

Well, it's not a right and it's not free. So....

It is a right, and it's free everywhere else in the industrialized world except the US.
It's not my fault my lame-ass country is behind the times, human rights-wise.
That doesn't mean I have to be. I'm free to just ignore them.

It is a right, and it's free everywhere else in the industrialized world except the US.
It's not my fault my lame-ass country is behind the times, human rights-wise.
That doesn't mean I have to be. I'm free to just ignore them.

But it's not free everywhere else.
You still have to pay taxes for it, in other countries.

Student loans...and student loans.....and more student loans. Oh yeah, and some day....more student loans for graduate school. Om nom nom debt to the government.

I learned from my dad to save and pay upfront for everything except a house and then pay that off as soon as possible. I know that's not always realistic, but I cringe when I see friends putting luxuries on credit cards. That's just stupid.

I have no credit card debt. The only time I ever use my credit card is if I already have the money in my checking account. As soon as I get the bill for my CC I pay it off. Screw that minimum payment crap. I'm not going to mess with interest.

But I do have school loans... which I have to start paying back in about 2-3 months... and with no steady job yet... :scared:

As of now my student loan debt is around $9,000.

About $8,000.00 outstanding, will have it paid off soon.

But the house is paid off, my wife's car is too, and I drive a company truck so no debt there. Very close to being debt free.

I owe 60k on my house (worth 200k) and 5 k on other debt. I own two cars.

Back
Top Bottom