• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How much effort do you put into your posting?

How much effort do you put in your posts?

• Little

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Some

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Moderate

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Significant

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Alot. I brain it up.

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MKULTRABOY

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I confess, I am usually dismissive of alot of posts and find 'it's not worth my time' because I am an arrogant bastard and its much simpler and intellectually concise to put someone down without participating to a greater extent. It's actually kind of rare when I put significant research into a post.

How much 'research' fact finding and mental effort do you put into your average post on a 1-5 scale?

(I'm not saying my posts are empty insult, sometimes I'm just not spurred by the debate)

Last edited:
well.. I need to see how much pressure it takes to press the keys on my keyboard, take into account the average drift of my fingers while I type, and how much energy it takes to keep my muscles taught to maintain my head in an upright position, and then calculate how many calories are used in the process, after that I need to consider the energy requirements for the extra blood that flows through my brain and account for the extra energy expelled due to the electrical discharges between synapses.

This could take a while while i research all this and take measurements and calculate.. please hold.....

Last edited:
Really depends on what I'm arguing. If I'd just discussing something not worthwhile to me, or something I don't know a lot about but the other person does know about, then I won't put a lot of thought into it. If I'm debating something I understand, then I tend to fully explain my thoughts as concisely as I can.

It varies so much it's hard to say. I have spent multiple hours looking up source materials to present an argument, and I have spent 30 seconds on posts.

I confess, I am usually dismissive of alot of posts and find 'it's not worth my time' because I am an arrogant bastard and its much simpler and intellectually concise to put someone down without participating to a greater extent. It's actually kind of rare when I put significant research into a post.

How much 'research' fact finding and mental effort do you put into your average post on a 1-5 scale?

(I'm not saying my posts are empty insult, sometimes I'm just not spurred by the debate)

I voted "moderate." I'll often post a link if I'm presenting something out of the ordinary as fact; sometimes, I find myself researching something after someone challenges it. If I challenge someone's 'facts,' I'll usually research first and often include a link. I'll often use bold-faced type because it's hard enough to understand a poster's intentions....I always figure bold face helps with inflection. On a 1-5 scale, I'm probably a 3 or 4.

I went with "moderate".

Sometimes a post is very quick and easy to write, and sometimes it takes quite awhile.

Oddly enough, the size of the post in question seems to effect the time required...

Still, sometimes a short post requires a little extra time than it would otherwise.

I place a greater value on pithiness than I do pedantic, long-winded, replies. Now, I am certainly capable of such, mind you, but being able to say much with a few words is a talent I value much more than I do saying little with much.

It depends on what I'm debating and who I'm debating. Some people just aren't worth wasting the brain power on, some subjects aren't really worth seriously considering and especially in the polls forum, some things just aren't all that mentally stimulating or taxing. I give it the attention each subject deserves, no more, no less.

It depends on what I'm debating and who I'm debating. Some people just aren't worth wasting the brain power on, some subjects aren't really worth seriously considering and especially in the polls forum, some things just aren't all that mentally stimulating or taxing. I give it the attention each subject deserves, no more, no less.

I put all my effort in to every post. Now research... that's another story. Sometimes the peak of my effort is simply a sarcastic retort.

It depends on the subject and topic.... it also makes a difference if its a new thread or a reply.

I am the same way. In some ways, the idea that every idea is worth listening to and debating irritates me. Some things are obviously stupid and we should, at times, call a spade a spade.

I am the same way. In some ways, the idea that every idea is worth listening to and debating irritates me. Some things are obviously stupid and we should, at times, call a spade a spade.

Ahhh very interesting. sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Now tell us about your relationship with your mother.

the+doctor+is+in.jpg

Response after one-too-many glasses of wine: No thought whatsoever. Bring it on. No, I mean it, bring it!!

depends, I am a news junkie with a very strong memory. I often post stuff I have seen evidence for-sometimes many years ago. But I don't care enough to do research for the hysterics who demand people prove that the sky is blue

Hence my phrase GIYLF with that being Google it yourself Lazy _____

This board is basically entertainment. when so few people actually bother backing up their opinions with any credentials (CC is one of the few who has for example), its not worth time wasting alot of effort trying to disprove opinions of people who really don't have the expertise to utter an opinion that should be entitled to deference.

I don't always put in the same effort into every post. I would say my posts span the spectrum of effort, depending on what the topic is, what I have to say and who I'm saying it to.

The more time I have to make a post, interest in the topic and respect for the person I'm responding to, the more effort I put into the post. Sometimes all I do is post a stock "standard issue response" for those n00bs who think they have an original idea which has in fact been beaten to death over the years. I won't even spell-check my posts for some members, while others I'll be sure to include reputable links.

Typically the "research" I post in threads is from something I've read or learned in the past. If someone provides and article for something I find interesting, I'll likely read it then or later (right now I have about 10 news articles I have queued up for later). Otherwise I just provide my opinion on the issue and read other people's opinions. I enjoy hearing multiple sides; people I sometimes disagree with still have good points.

Being so young I'm still relatively new to the political scene and have some catching up to do. I try to learn something new every day :cool:

Depends. I've done TONS of research on topics before. I don't do as much as I used to, since I've archived most of my more research-oriented posts and the links that I used to back up my positions. I also have some credentialed personal experience in a number of areas that assists my posting.

I VERY rarely start my own threads, but when I do, I do a bit more research for them then I do in threads that I am just responding. It also depends on the topic... both my interest level and what I already know about it.

I usually try to match the effort of the person I'm arguing against, if they put in effort, I will too, if they don't, I won't.

Back
Top Bottom