• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How much do you care about balancing the US federal budget?

How much do you care about balancing the federal budget (in the medium/long term)?

• Total voters
And a bunch of other things. The point is you're trying to tie health care reform to deficit reduction, which only indicates a lack of seriousness regarding the issue.

SocSec is an entitlement program like all of the others. Like all of the others, it needs cut if there is to be any serious attempt to reduce the deficit.

You know, if the gubberment wanted to refund me all the money I put in to SS and Medicare, and then do away with them both, I'd be cool with that.

it's less lower taxes on those who will spend it, and more lower taxes on those who will invest it wisely. capital gains taxes, for example, are particularly susceptible to changes in rate. an 8 point drop (such as what Clinton signed) will raise both productivity and revenues in ways that an 8 point drop in income taxes simply won't.

the piper must indeed be paid. but much of what we plan to owe the piper can be avoided. long term, we're going to have to drastically reduce what we pay out in entitlements if we want to avoid insolvency; and public employee pension plans are set to bankrupt local and state governments across the nation.

my vote; move Medicare onto a voucher program, allow people under 55 to put 5 of their 7% tax rate into privatized accounts (that way people are paying 2% into the system who represent no future liability, but are still themselves provided for), get rid of the Air Force (fold it's responsibilities back into an Army Air Corps and move it's space functions into what's left of NASA after we get rid of all non-defense portions). get rid of all non-defense and law-enorcement related subsidies; sell off our unneeded land and gold. open Alaska and our coasts to drilling and tax the same. end earmarks, cut current alternate entitlements into block grants that are phased out over time to return proper state responsibilities to the states. revoke the executive order allowing federal employees to unionize. then we'll talk about tax hikes, in the context of simplifying the code to reduce compliance costs.

Ugh. I don't think I want to live in the same country that you appear to want to live in. Please stay away from Maine. We cannot afford to have people drilling off our coast ( So much for your "state' rights credibility, B.T.W.)....Sure, lowering the capital gains tax is an excellent way for gov't to gain revenue, short term. I've taken advantage of that sort of window, myself... but the economy will not grow until spenders have money to spend. Henry Ford knew that.
Corporations are buying up their own stock, right now, with super low interest rates rather than go out on a limb to hire more employees. Hey, we are all savers, now -scared about our present and future liabilities. And with politicians and pundits suggesting that S. Sec. is insolvent and homes are losing value, who should be surprised? Thank Wall Street for this wreckage.

I am for states rights and if a state wants to ban drilling from their land and coasts they should have the right to do so. But I also think that state should have to pay through the nose if they wanted to buy any petroleum products.

Everybody wants nuclear energy but nobody wants to take the waste. Same with oil.

How about just all 50 states shut down oil production and we just buy it all from Iran?

Last edited:
Social Security needs only a minor adjustment? Hmmm? Okay. :thinking: And what, pray tell, would that "minor" adjustment be? I never realized the solution was so simple. So, you must tell.......thousands of economists and 535 members of Congress need to know. Also, feel free to tell us SPECIFICALLY what the implications of your "minor adjustment would be.
That is right. It can be easily fixed by raising the ceiling a small amount on income taxed for Soc.Sec. and raising the retirement age a year or two. I can promise you that Congress and thousands of economists already know this.

And a bunch of other things. The point is you're trying to tie health care reform to deficit reduction, which only indicates a lack of seriousness regarding the issue.

SocSec is an entitlement program like all of the others. Like all of the others, it needs cut if there is to be any serious attempt to reduce the deficit.

S.Sec is not like aany other entitlement. Social security has been payed into by millions of Americans, including me. Soc. Sec. may need to be tweeked to pay for the temporary demographic bulge of baby boomer retirees but any suggestion of reniging onthe program is synonymous with a declarartion that all bond holders are carrying worthless paper! It has been borrowed by gov't and it is owed to those who have payed into it.

Health care is a completely different ball of wax. It is a run away train. Sensible rationing MUST take place. We cannot continue to spend countless billions on a fee for service entitlement that fails to draw any lines in the sand about quality or outcomes. Why are Republicans sabotaging this vital national discussion??

Do you generally favor lower taxes and lower spending? If so, vote as a conservative. Do you generally favor more taxes and more spending? If so, vote as a liberal. There is limited space when writing the poll options to account for every possibility.

Thats rubbish. Im just not going to vote

Are people going to stop reproducing?

Not if I can help it. LOL!

I think that if the courses of nature remained the same, the pyramidal concept of SS would continue to be solvent. As long as there are always several people available to support the SS receipient and the ratio maintains. But when we hear all the baby-boomer worries it should makes us all raise an eyebrow to the possibilities that might sink our hopes of getting our due.

Hey, I am not even pretending to know how it all works. I think it's my "not knowing" that has me so concerned.

After the baby boom, yeah they did sort of.

You do realize that baby boomers have provided a huge surplus paid to Soc. Sec. for many years? The recession is the biggest problem for Soc.Sec and for the deficit generally. Since 1900 the population of the U.S. has tripled but the economic output has gone up 20 times. For this reason, Soc. Sec. is not a classic Ponzi scheme and minor adjustments will be necessary to make it completely sovent. Of course another strategy would be to increase the number of illegal Latino immigrants who work and pay into Soc. Sec. but will never be allowed to collect.

Oh well, when I hear Repubs. drone on about "fixing" soc. sec. and medicare as though they are synonymous, I know that is code for "dismantle"

I am disappointed that know one seems up to the task of answering the question I asked- how are Republicans in Congress going to reduce the deficit considering their opposition to tax increases, H.C. rationing or cuts in military spending?

You know, if the gubberment wanted to refund me all the money I put in to SS and Medicare, and then do away with them both, I'd be cool with that.
Without a doubt.

That is right. It can be easily fixed by raising the ceiling a small amount on income taxed for Soc.Sec. and raising the retirement age a year or two.
Ah. So you -are- Ok with cutting entitlement benefits.
The question is then - why arent you willing to do so in a meaningful manner?

S.Sec is not like aany other entitlement.
SocSec is exactly like every other entitlement:
You meet the requirements for benefits, and you get benefits. Nothing else matters, not even available revenue. Its automatic.
And, it needs to be cut, just like every other entitlement, if there is any hope of mesningfully addressing the deficit.

Health care is a completely different ball of wax. It is a run away train. Sensible rationing MUST take place.
So you ARE OK with cutting entitlement benefits. Good.

You do realize that baby boomers have provided a huge surplus paid to Soc. Sec. for many years? The recession is the biggest problem for Soc.Sec and for the deficit generally. Since 1900 the population of the U.S. has tripled but the economic output has gone up 20 times. For this reason, Soc. Sec. is not a classic Ponzi scheme and minor adjustments will be necessary to make it completely sovent. Of course another strategy would be to increase the number of illegal Latino immigrants who work and pay into Soc. Sec. but will never be allowed to collect.

Oh well, when I hear Repubs. drone on about "fixing" soc. sec. and medicare as though they are synonymous, I know that is code for "dismantle"

I am disappointed that know one seems up to the task of answering the question I asked- how are Republicans in Congress going to reduce the deficit considering their opposition to tax increases, H.C. rationing or cuts in military spending?

It is a classic ponzi scheme because the current recipients rely on those who follow.

As for your question, you answered part of it yourself. "Fixing" social security and medicare by dismantling them will reduce those line items in the budget, and it's not as if they are small line items.

For health care rationing, I thought that was one of the lies that republicans were spreading about the president's health care plan. Have you fallen for republican propaganda?

I've seen several posts on here where people like me are not necessarily opposed to cuts in military spending, so if you are specifically referring to republicans in congress, I'll ask the same question of you. How are democrats in congress going to reduce the deficit if they insist on expanding every government program there is (with the possible exception of the military)?

So, lets recap- you would eliminate much of our medical system? ( since it would be unable to function w/o medicare and medicaid) Or would you just permit hospitals to refuse treatment of all low-income individuals and most of the elderly? Welfare would be eliminated except for military welfare recipients and the severely disabled. Or you would eliminate the V.A., as well? The unemployed would be sweeping streets and sorting mail for nothing and eating, what exactly? Higher education would be too expensive for most people so many private colleges would close. You would advocate what? - Heavy recuitment from China and India to fill all those jobs requiring higher education? Who do you think would fund basic research? Well, I guess the U.S. could concede that core endeavor to the Chinese, as well.

Of course, gov't revenue would drop even as tax rates dropped because the middle class would be decimated and the G.D.P. would plummet. The effort to balance the budget with ever fewer $$ would create an economic death spiral until corpoartions began moving back to the U.S. for all the cheap, cheap labor.

The medical system worked prior to the implementation of Medicare in the 1960's. The problems in the medical system should not be the government's concern - those who operate medical facilities should have the ability to make their services available to the public - the old ones call this competition and contrary to the belief of many today - it works.

The government should fund care for veterans - but that can be done by providing insurance benefits (CHAMPUS) that veterans can use in the private sector. The government cannot operate a classroom with 15 five year olds in it - do you really think they effectively operate hospitals for veterans. (In case you haven't dealt with the VA, they don't do such a great job.)

Education is a commodity, just like clothing, food and shelter. Minus the Department of Education, private enterprise schools would compete for the education dollars being spent. This competition would create a better educational product, and because the privately operated schools would not be competing with "free" (and yes, many people consider public education to be free) education, the price would stabilize at a level the market would bear.

The push for more people to attend college hasn't generated a lot of improvement in the capabilities of our labor market. Higher education may not be for everyone - and wasting tax dollars to pay for college for a person to have the college experience isn't how I want my money spent. Let them fund their own four year frat party.

Prior to the creation of the Department of Education, people got educated, had the ability to formulate and implement ideas and the country was economically successful. Since the Department of Education, every child pushed through the system has been part of one experiment or another with no improvement in teaching them how to learn, how to think logically, how to solve problems etc. We are to a point that if a person is working in a job, and a customer asks a question of an employee that isn't scripted in their job procedures - all the customer gets is a dumb look. I don't know about the rest of you, but I got far fewer dumb looks prior to the federal takeover of education.

Research should be the risk of private entities. If the research results in a viable marketable product - the gains from the research should be the reward of the private entity.

Government revenue would most definitely drop under my suggestions - the government wouldn't need more revenue and the people who earned the money could spend it themselves. And if the people spent more of what they made - it would create a demand for more products - which would create a demand for more workers........hopefully you get the picture.

I personally want manufacturing and production to return to the U.S. I prefer that they not come back for the "cheap, cheap labor", but that trade policies tax imports enough to allow an American made cell phone to compete fairly with a Chinese made cell phone.

I'd buy the American, even if the price was marginally higher - just to support the U.S. laborer.

Last edited:
"So when did you stop beating your wife?"

Poll FAIL.

Hence the reason I never vote in polls...

But to answer the question...I am very committed to seeing the debt paid down. I am absolutely opposed to the fed simply raising taxes. If the debt is going to be reduced the fed has to develop concrete goals...spending reductions, elimination of frivolous spending, targeted cuts in EVERY program, mandated by legislation. If the fed were to do that I would actually be in favor of at least capping taxes (no cuts) and perhaps even implementing some other form of targeted tax increases SPECIFICALLY to pay down the debt. The universal health care at the federal level HAS to go...cant afford it, cant realistically implement it. The military has to have cuts (not in warfighting capabilities but anyone that has served and is honest will admit there is INCREDIBLE waste in the military. Congress should be revamped (400k per year to each senator and representative...but from that 400 they must pay staff...pay for travel...pay for rent on office space...EVERYTHING).

Real finite solutions...until then...promote tax cuts and get the federa lgovernment the hell out of the way of the free market, productive members of society, and the economy.

Raising taxes and cutting spending doesn't happen in the real world either.

The current coalition in Britain seems to disagree with you. As does Sarkozy's government which is set to hike taxes and cut retirement spending. Paying attention to the rest of the world would prevent you from making statements like that.

It would appear that cutting spending at the time when private spending is at relatively low levels and therefore unable to compensate would lead to higher unemployment, higher automatic mandatory spending and a reduction in net revenue. So in a sense, cutting spending to balance the budget becomes an impossible task in that context as it keeps generating a deficit thereby calling for more cuts and in turn leading to more deficits.

In the long run a low deficit is more important then low taxes as the debt is expanding to Biblical proportions and is completely unsustainable. Constantly adding to the debt will ensure that debt servicing will become an even larger part of the budget. While debt servicing does act as a form of stimulus as the majority of debt is held by domestic investors, it is an inefficient form of stimulus. I've said it time and time again, we are going to be forced to raise taxes and cut spending to get our debt under control. Anyone who thinks we can do it via just spending or tax cuts is delusional. In a sense, we are going to have to engage in European style austerity and it is going to hurt. And the voting public will likely rebel against it. Neither party has the proverbial balls to see this through.

cutting spending is sustainable and will ultimately control the deficit. Jacking up taxes has no future in doing that and will soon (if not already) lead to lower revenues either directly or indirectly

cutting spending is sustainable and will ultimately control the deficit.

Assuming private sector spending can compensate. Which in the current short term is not applicable. Clinton benefited greatly from massive private spending that overcompensated for the reductions in welfare reform and defense spending. Currently however, corporations are sitting on over a trillion in cash and personal savings rates are relatively off the scale for America suggesting that private spending will not step in for public outflows. Therefore, public spending cuts will logically result in a higher deficit as unemployment rises reducing inflows and causing mandatory spending to increase.

Jacking up taxes has no future in doing that and will soon (if not already) lead to lower revenues either directly or indirectly

Better then defaulting.

The problem is caused by 20 plus years of trade imbalance, and of course, the wars....so many...so expensive and so wasteful. Yet, our "leaders" cannot see this!

More like political survival gotcha games. The side in power has to look strong because the other side will damn them as weaklings if they don't. That's why we're still in Afghanistan and Iraq, when there is really nothing to gain by staying there, no real threats, only suppositions of what might happen if we leave.

ricksfolly

Assuming private sector spending can compensate. Which in the current short term is not applicable. Clinton benefited greatly from massive private spending that overcompensated for the reductions in welfare reform and defense spending. Currently however, corporations are sitting on over a trillion in cash and personal savings rates are relatively off the scale for America suggesting that private spending will not step in for public outflows. Therefore, public spending cuts will logically result in a higher deficit as unemployment rises reducing inflows and causing mandatory spending to increase.

Better then defaulting.

not jacking up taxes is going to cause a "default"

corporations are sitting on case because they are worried about the direction Obama might take. The top 2% already pay too much of the tax and adding to that without jacking up taxes on the majority of the voters will only signal to the majority of voters that deficit reduction (LOL-the dems have no interest in cutting spending that gains them votes and plenty of republicans are as bad as well) is not their burden and they won't push for it since they don't have to pay for it-at least not now

not jacking up taxes is going to cause a "default"

Not reducing the debt will. And at our level of debt, we will have to follow the Europeans in slashing spending and raising taxes.

corporations are sitting on case because they are worried about the direction Obama might take.

Not really. Corporations are sitting on money because there's no demand to expand. Even with pending legislation and taxes, corporations will expand their general operations if demand is there. Macy's will expand stores if there is additional demand regardless of such pending legislation. Intel will building another Module if processor demand is taking off independent of pending legislation. The problem is lack of consumer demand.

The rest of your post is your standard classism. Not worth responding to.

Back
Top Bottom