• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How much did Thailand, Indonesia etc send to us after 911?

It makes no differance in any way if Thailand, Indonesia, ect. sent us any money at all after 9/11. We are still one of the richest countries in the world and it is our duty to give aid to any and all countries in nead.

It kind of ticks me off to know that when something like 911 or the Florida hurricanes happens, that the relief money comes out of our pocket. But we are America and taking care of other countries is our burden. I just hope that some of the muslims in places like Indonesia see that we do a lot of good. Through this, they might learn not to hate us so much.

What the hell is wrong with you Jack?! How can you compare 3,000 to 100,000+?! How can you compare a disaster caused by people to an unavoidable natural disaster?!

pwo said:
It kind of ticks me off to know that when something like 911 or the Florida hurricanes happens, that the relief money comes out of our pocket. But we are America and taking care of other countries is our burden. I just hope that some of the muslims in places like Indonesia see that we do a lot of good. Through this, they might learn not to hate us so much.

9-11 was a terrorist act that effected Americans on American soil. The tsunami was a natural disaster that effected several differant countries and killed people from all over the world.

As for hating us, I feel that it will take many more acts of goodwill before other countries stop hating America.

Ya know what folks?

I would like to have other countries "like' us, but it is not mandatory to live a complete life. The accuse us of being stingy when we have given in a year more than all of the rest of the nations on earth COMBINED.

Sure I feel sorry for them and their loved ones. One death is too many. All I am saying is that they were mighty slow, in fact some Muslim nations rejoiced when we got hit on 911. Should that affect our giving, absolutely not, but let's not forget these people don't like us because we are the most powerful nation on earth and they hate our life style and want us to join them as 3rd World countries so that we can 'see what it is like'. Truth is how much aid would they have gotten from us if we WERE a 3rd world country.

Re: Ya know what folks?

They would have gotten very little aid because if we were a third world country we would not have billions at our disposal.

>As for hating us, I feel that it will take many more acts of goodwill before other countries stop hating America.<Rhadamanthus

The only way countries will stop hating America is if we get our troops out of their borders.

Don't quote me, but I remember reading in Time, Newsweek, or one such publication, that we have troops in about 200 countries in the world!
Think about that! 200 countries!
I'd be lucky to name 100 countries off the top of my head, and I doubt I could do that? ( I always hated Geography...LOL)

Think about this...would we here in America enjoy having troops from other countries patrolling our streets?
Of course not!

And I'm repeating myself, but it's a know fact that Saudi Arabia is financing fanaticle religious schools throughout the Middle East...schools that are teaching the youth to grow up hating America.

Until we break this cycle, we will always have people that hate America.

Hoot

Withdrawing our troops is exactly the type of goodwill i am talking about. As well as supplying aid.

Ya and then we'll be the bad guys for HURTING THEIR ECONOMY

Think not? Guess again. Do you release how many $$$$'s our troops pour into their economy.

It's a common misconception among Americans that the U.S. is the benefactor to the world. In reality it ranks dead last among industrialized nations in foreign aid outlays. 21 other countries spend more as a percentage of GDP than the U.S. Norway is number one.

Even in terms of raw dollars, the U.S. trailed Japan for most of the 90's. And there is much evidence to suggest that even the money we do spend on foreign aid is inextricably tied to our contentious foreign policy. (To be fair, this is true of most industrialized nations.)

In light of our controversial reputation abroad, deserved or not, and our unparalleled economic prosperity and military prowess, it would behoove the U.S. to increase it's foreign aid and truly become the benefactor to the world. And by so doing lend credence to the much-uttered phrase "America is #1!"

argexpat said:
In light of our controversial reputation abroad, deserved or not, and our unparalleled economic prosperity and military prowess, it would behoove the U.S. to increase it's foreign aid and truly become the benefactor to the world. And by so doing lend credence to the much-uttered phrase "America is #1!"

Agree completely.
I believe we could spend 1/10th the money we are spending on this war, on humanitarian aid, and get 10 times the result.
The war on terrorism will not be won with bullets and bombs.

Hoot

Jack Dawson said:
I would like to have other countries "like' us, but it is not mandatory to live a complete life. The accuse us of being stingy when we have given in a year more than all of the rest of the nations on earth COMBINED.

Sure I feel sorry for them and their loved ones. One death is too many. All I am saying is that they were mighty slow, in fact some Muslim nations rejoiced when we got hit on 911. Should that affect our giving, absolutely not, but let's not forget these people don't like us because we are the most powerful nation on earth and they hate our life style and want us to join them as 3rd World countries so that we can 'see what it is like'. Truth is how much aid would they have gotten from us if we WERE a 3rd world country.

Your understanding of the world is pretty shallow. No Muslim nations rejoiced after 9/11. Fundamentalist Islamic groups & individuals rejoiced. (Note: I have personally born witness to ugly Americans showing enthusiasm for the slaughter of "those worthless ragheads in I-Raq" so don't feel so confident that we are a less barbaric society.)
The Muslim world is populated w/ billions of people. You think if they all wanted us dead they'd have any problem doing it? Just because a Muslim person dislikes our policies and inflated opinion of ourselves does not mean they want to kill us or turn us into a 3rd world country. They are entitled to that opinion and if I can recommend one book, Veil: The Secret Wars of the CIA 1981-1987 by Bob Woodward you might feel a little of the same trepidation about US foreign policy yourself.

Anybody catch the candlelight vigil by Palestinians in the West Bank after 9/11? No? Yeah, cause they showed it on CNN for about 2-3 seconds tops.

America doesn't need to have money thrown at it by countries w/ marginal economies. Florida alone received, what was it $4 billion dollars?, in relief from the federal government. We spend over $100 million dollars every single day we are in Iraq. And you want money from Indonesia? Get real.

Moral of the story: Jack Dawson needs to invest in some duck tape to close his mouth shut forever.

good will acts alone will nevber make the world truely like us maybe tolerate but not like (we tried that under the clinton administration) but it is still our jobs to help those less fortuneate
other countries didnthelp w/ 9-11 because we are america and although it wopuld have been nice it was bny no means nessacary

People that question acts of kindness do not belong in the US. We are priveleged to be brought up in a country like ours. Because of the will of our people and the way we are, we can get through problems like 911. Like spiderman 2 says, "with great power comes great responsibility"

Last edited:
You keep forgetting that we aren't the only ones who lost people in the WTC bombing. Not only that but the world economy came to a screeching halt. Other countries suffered also.

Jack Dawson said:
Truth is how much aid would they have gotten from us if we WERE a 3rd world country.

You don't seem to be aware that third world countries such as Equatorial Guinea did give to the Tsunami hit nations.
You're happy for the US to get rich from a totally unfair global trading system, bent on keeping poor countries in poverty while you continue to consume, consume, consume, and yet you resent giving just a little back when the worst natural disaster for years hits these people?
Which do you watch? Faux News or CNN lies?
Enjoy your McFries.

Oh by the way; faux means false. Just in case you didn't know :rolleyes:

Uretha, don't even bother arguing with Jack Dawson, you'd be better off talking to a wall.

pwo said:

Im curious, I thought some other countries DID aid us somewhat financialy. Maybe im wrong.

Urethra Franklin said:
You don't seem to be aware that third world countries such as Equatorial Guinea did give to the Tsunami hit nations.
You're happy for the US to get rich from a totally unfair global trading system, bent on keeping poor countries in poverty while you continue to consume, consume, consume, and yet you resent giving just a little back when the worst natural disaster for years hits these people?
Which do you watch? Faux News or CNN lies?
Enjoy your McFries.

Oh by the way; faux means false. Just in case you didn't know :rolleyes:

Yeah, I think it's a bit sad that anyone would expect, or even want, a third world nation to give the US any money. When I was in the Navy I went to Indoneisa. It was probably one of the poorest nations I'd ever seen. In 1985 15.00us would rent a nice room for a week overlooking the ocean. Another 10.00us and you could get a cook to come and cook and clean for you, food included for the week.

What is the translation to your signature? Something about recognizing vision?

Rhadamanthus said:
9-11 was a terrorist act that effected Americans on American soil. The tsunami was a natural disaster that effected several differant countries and killed people from all over the world.

As for hating us, I feel that it will take many more acts of goodwill before other countries stop hating America.

As far as not hating America is concerned it will never happen. When a police officer saves your life from a criminal what do you do? You are grateful and sing his praises. But what happens when that same police officer gives you a speeding ticket. You wanna give him a bunch of feedback about you pay his salary and leave angry and confused. Our country has taken on the role of the world's police, so just as police officers here except it we all have to expect the fact that until otherwise we will be hated.

Pacridge said:
What is the translation to your signature? Something about recognizing vision?

"You'll see, you'll recognize yourself"

It's from a very beautiful 70's song "Tu Te Reconnaîtras" by the French singer Anne-Marie David, who won the Eurovision Song Contest (big annual song festival in Europe, where many famous names got their first big break: Abba, Céline Dion, Lulu etc) with it, entering for Luxembourg.

MeChMAN said:
Our country has taken on the role of the world's police, so just as police officers here except it we all have to expect the fact that until otherwise we will be hated.

What is resented is that the fact the US has taken on this role unappointed, and acts in it's own interests. You'll topple Saddam but you don't touch the Saudi royal family. Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom