• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How much cleavage is too much cleavage?

Honestly, the same thought crossed my mind.

fan-back-chair.jpg

Hillary wore something similar during the primaries and I said the same thing.

0109_hillary_clinton.jpg

:lol: dang. catty much, fellas?

as far as cleavage is concerned, i think the question becomes one of intent. are you attempting to be beautiful, or are you out fishing? that a particular dress is acceptable.... on a date with a husband, i think, speaks to what i am very badly attempting to enunciate here. there are women who think that something looks beautiful on them, and then there are women who think that cleavage = beauty. those last types, i suspect, are more in it for the control.

a quick example, perhaps:

0205_christina-hendricks-cleavage-002.jpg

beautiful cleavage. maaaybe pushing the line.

vs.

Fox-Resorts-To-Sex-Appeal.jpg

woman who is using her cleavage. now, the amount of skin exposed, in raw distance, is probably about approximate (both are exposing maybe the top inner 45% of their breasts, and both are fairly well endowed). but the intent is different

Last edited:
:lol: dang. catty much, fellas?

as far as cleavage is concerned, i think the question becomes one of intent. are you attempting to be beautiful, or are you out fishing? that a particular dress is acceptable.... on a date with a husband, i think, speaks to what i am very badly attempting to enunciate here. there are women who think that something looks beautiful on them, and then there are women who think that cleavage = beauty. those last types, i suspect, are more in it for the control.

a quick example, perhaps:

0205_christina-hendricks-cleavage-002.jpg

beautiful cleavage. maaaybe pushing the line.

vs.

Fox-Resorts-To-Sex-Appeal.jpg

woman who is using her cleavage. now, the amount of skin exposed, in raw distance, is probably about approximate (both are exposing maybe the top inner 45% of their breasts, and both are fairly well endowed). but the intent is different

nah.....why does intent matter? we are free to like or dislike.

Difference: I have no intention of ever cheating my husband, I've never been remotely tempted. However, my husband's been tempted more than a few times - I'm paranoid he'll do it again, understandably so - I use to be mellow and 'whatever' about what he looked at but he managed to single-handedly ruin my very relaxed attitude about everything - several times.
He also isn't allowed to drink anymore, either . . . because he needs a tippy-cup with his slammers.

Besides - we're discussing reasonable cleavage and I posted mine as an example of what 'less than pretty maybe too much' cleavage looks like. I definitely didn't post that picture expecting cat calls. . . and I've actually never shown that much cleavage without being on a date - *with* my husband.

auntie.....you posted the picture to get a reaction. who are you kidding?

I thought you showed that much cleavage at the store and the elderly women made frowny faces.

If you don't trust your husband that's unfortunate. I don't think issues of fidelity really have anything to do with wardrobe. It's a character issue.

Yes, I did. did I confuse everyone?
My parents watched the kids for a night so my husband and I could have some time together. We went out on a date, watched a movie, went by the store on the way home - all the old women gave me *the look*

:shrug:

After I saw the picture that my parents took of us I realized what everyone was looking at. . . so I've started to attach swaths of fabric to *the area* to conceal *the cleavage* . . I've been doing it for years.

Its' really rather simple.

Last edited:
Yes, I did. did I confuse everyone?
My parents watched the kids for a night so my husband and I could have some time together. We went out on a date, watched a movie, went by the store on the way home - all the old women gave me *the look*

:shrug:

After I saw the picture that my parents took of us I realized what everyone was looking at. . . so I've started to attach swaths of fabric to *the area* to conceal *the cleavage*

Its' really rather simple.

Meh who cares about what some old biddies think. They are probably just jealous, and if not, who cares, its your body.

Meh who cares about what some old biddies think. They are probably just jealous, and if not, who cares, its your body.

Yes - that was my point. I tried to make the point, anyway - failpail! :)

I was saying that older women reacted *Oh my GAWD* when I had that cleavage showing.
Men didn't even notice - or - if they did - they didn't give a crap.

So, I think when it comes to rules of public decency it's not *men* who are driving the standard of what's acceptable and what's not. It's women - specifically the women who "Oh my GAWD" to things like that.

Per my husband and I - our relationship is on the mend. It'll take a while. A lot happened over a long period of time that we had to wade through but we're on the up and up, now. He's in control of himself, which is great . . . and I'm working on losing the paranoia.

:rofl
It's nice to know that I look like a skanky old chair in that dress.
It's already tossed out in the garbage. No wonder why my husband never really complimented me on how pretty I looked in it - 'cause I don't. He was holding his tongue - how sweet.

Hmm - maybe next time I buy a dress I need to take my husband with me. Because, now that I think about it, that's not the only thing I have in my closet that likely resemble furniture.

This is what happens when the 'goth chick' in high school who owns mostly tattered jeans and scuzzy tees tries to get in touch with her feminine side. This lack of taste might also explain why people only ever compliment me on my sandals. Maybe I need to post pics of myself online more often to spare my husband some agony :)

Last edited:
Well, I personally will never be showing too much cleavage because I dont have too much to show, but I dont really care how much other women show.

I dont like the over sexualising the breast thing by the media, that Aunt Spiker mentioned above, not because of prudishness, but in case it has some adverse affect on the progress of womens rights. I think, maybe the media is going to the type of extreme where they advertise that sex and sexuality are the only valuable things about women, because they ignore or play down all other attributes of women. I suspect, that is why certain displays are pulled from advertising.

It's nice to know that I look like a skanky old chair in that dress.
It's already tossed out in the garbage. No wonder why my husband never really complimented me on how pretty I looked in it - 'cause I don't. He was holding his tongue - how sweet.

I know that if it were me, the dress would not be in my field of view. :2razz:
Whenever my wife wears more low cut shirts, I usually get scolded a little for staring to much.

Hmm - maybe next time I buy a dress I need to take my husband with me. Because, now that I think about it, that's not the only thing I have in my closet that likely resemble furniture.

This is what happens when the 'goth chick' in high school who owns mostly tattered jeans and scuzzy tees tries to get in touch with her feminine side. This lack of taste might also explain why people only ever compliment me on my sandals. Maybe I need to post pics of myself online more often to spare my husband some agony :)

I help my wife shop.
I think I have decent taste in clothing and she asks me often.

I know that if it were me, the dress would not be in my field of view. :2razz:
Whenever my wife wears more low cut shirts, I usually get scolded a little for staring to much.

I help my wife shop.
I think I have decent taste in clothing and she asks me often.

Well - I'll start shopping with my husband, then . . . could be fun.
There's no sense in me buying myself dresses and the like to wear when I'm going out with him on a date or some such - only to risk him not liking it, you know.

Well - I'll start shopping with my husband, then . . . could be fun.
There's no sense in me buying myself dresses and the like to wear when I'm going out with him on a date or some such - only to risk him not liking it, you know.

Well you should like it as well.

I know my wife's style and tastes, so I apply that standard with what I think would drape her body correctly, while being aesthetically pleasing.

Last edited:
I went to the store once wearing a dress that showed this:
100_6798-1.jpg

and all the guys were more than polite or otherwise unphased but the older ladies looked at me in disgust.

In arguments about public nudity I don't think it's the men's reactions that hone the status quo - it's women's VERY dissenting attitudes and crone moods and even paranoia (like me - I don't want my husband seeing other women's boobage).

Lots of women in Germany where I live, show that much. I would be surprised if women or men got upset about it here. They might get upset about it in Ireland, where I come from though. Some countries are generally more prudish than others.

Well you both should like it as well.

I know my wife's style and tastes, so I apply that standard with what I think would drape her body correctly, while being aesthetically pleasing.

I've actually never considered my husband's opinions - I've always tried to surprise him with something new. My opinion on style - I LOVED that brown thing. <--- see, not working at all. I'd much rather wear something my husband really digs - that way our dates are more FUN!

:rofl *surprise - I look like a CHAIR!* :rofl

Oh noooo - you know what that reminded me of! A set of furniture that my parent's had when I was a kid - dated from the 60's. It was this old country style hunky junk that had fuzzy suede fabric with a country-farm scene all over it.

I've actually never considered my husband's opinions - I've always tried to surprise him with something new. My opinion on style - I LOVED that brown thing. <--- see, not working at all. I'd much rather wear something my husband really digs - that way our dates are more FUN!

:rofl *surprise - I look like a CHAIR!* :rofl

Oh noooo - you know what that reminded me of! A set of furniture that my parent's had when I was a kid - dated from the 60's. It was this old country style hunky junk that had fuzzy suede fabric with a country-farm scene all over it.

:lol:

My suggestion is to start with solid colors.
It really depends on your skin tone, body shape, etc. as to which colors suit you best.

I might start a new thread - model my clothes - and get rid of what might look bad. My husband's such a gem, He's never said anything about not liking something, you know.

I often dont wear a bra because I am not voluptous like Aunt Spiker is, and this puts my breast shape clearly on display, in some outfits. Those who disapprove would probably be the same ones who disapprove of Aunt Spikers low cut dress. I am not posting a photo here, though. ;)

Thank goodness, for the lack of prudishness in Germany. It is a real pain in the ass when people pass judgements on others, based on their own purdish sensibilities.

I might start a new thread - model my clothes - and get rid of what might look bad. My husband's such a gem, He's never said anything about not liking something, you know.

A lot of guys don't care but it isn't really about the guy but more about the woman.
It's good for self esteem, in many instances, to let your significant other know that not only do you love them but that they also look beautiful.

Surely this has been discussed here before . . . but I thought I'd bring it up again because it's such a memorable topic.

This ad was pulled off TV because "she shows too much cleavage"

there - topic and photos.
Discuss.

Can't fault them for seizing the opportunity, but it does seem that Lane Bryant did sensationalize the event a bit. btw.....i am quite smitten with with miss bubbles in the red bra. Waaay hot....!!! :flames:

<snip>

"...there's no indication that ABC or FOX objected to the Lane Bryant model's ample assets. A FOX source told PopEater that Lane Bryant was treated like any other advertiser for the same product, that 'Idol' has aired Playtex lingerie ads with plus-sized models and that Victoria's Secret (unlike Lane Bryant) agreed to edit its current ad to air during the 9PM results show. And while FOX did balk at airing the Lane Bryant spot at 8PM without edits, it has agreed to show the ad uncut during the 9PM hour of 'Idol' next week. So much for the commercial "FOX... did not want their viewers to see."

ABC issued a statement in which it also denied any double standards and hinted that Lane Bryant was more interested in generating publicity from controversy than actually placing its ad on 'Dancing.' "Their statements are not true," the ABC statement said, regarding Lane Bryant's allegations. "The ad was accepted to run in 'DWTS.' Lane Bryant was treated absolutely no differently than any advertiser for the same product. We were willing to accommodate them, but they chose to seek publicity instead."

<snip>

Lane Bryant vs. FOX and ABC: Publicity Stunt? | PopEater.com

Wow, you failed a failpail. Now I am suddenly thinking of CC and vortexes.:failpail:

:lamo
We've discussed this already - if you intend to fail is it realy a fail, or a success? Stop dividing by zero!

On a serious note:
Your skin tone appears to be similar to my wife's. Pale with freckles, and a bit of redness from time to time. What she tends to wear is either bright pastel colors, black, or a darker bright color, like purple. It works pretty well for her. Her hair is red though, I am not sure what yours is.

For what it is worth, I think that dress looks very pretty and sexy on you Aunt Spiker. It would not be out of place on the streets and cafes of Paris, where dresses such as that one and pale skin is chique. But, getting negative attention for what you are wearing could get tiresome. I would tend to dress down a bit, if a number of people react weirdly about it where you are. Clothes stop being fun, when people are not fun about them, in my opinion.

Hmm - my hair is brown. I try to avoid wearing black but I have a lot of it - because I use to be heavy-goth and I'm trying to get away form it. But purple I do have - I just bought this, my husband hasn't seen it yet because I haven't had a reason to wear it.

100_6794-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom