• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Much Are Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Trips? Watchdog Agency Struggles to Find Out

Obscurity

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/05/us/politics/trump-mar-a-lago-costs.html

Yes, I know, Trump and his despise the NYT. However, the GAO, or Government Accountability Office, attempted in 2017 to calculate the total cost to tax payers for POTUS' trips to his own resort.

The Government Accountability Office set out in 2017 to calculate the total cost to taxpayers of President Trump’s trips to Mar-a-Lago, his resort in Palm Beach, Fla., but said in a report issued on Tuesday that it could come up with only a snapshot of the expenses because the Trump administration did not respond to requests for more information.
The agency ended up studying only four trips the president took over a one-month period in 2017 and found that government agencies, including the Defense Department and the Secret Service, spent some $13.6 million — an average of over $3 million for each trip — to transport and protect the president, with the bulk of the expenses going to cover the cost of military aircraft and boats during that time.
The tab, officials say, is most likely higher since the total expenses that administration members racked up traveling, dining and staying at the resort are not known for the four trips, much less for the 218 days of his presidency that Mr. Trump has spent at one of his properties. Of that total, 78 of the days were spent at Mar-a-Lago.

$3m per trip, and that is an estimate.

This is the face of conservatism, folks.

Link to the GAO report.

https://www.gao.gov/assets/700/696512.pdf

This way no one can claim biased source.

Yes, I know, Trump and his despise the NYT. However, the GAO, or Government Accountability Office, attempted in 2017 to calculate the total cost to tax payers for POTUS' trips to his own resort.

Link to the GAO report.

This is outrageous (and posted yesterday). Congress should prohibit government officials from traveling to their home on the government dime.

This is outrageous (and posted yesterday). Congress should prohibit government officials from traveling to their home on the government dime.

Of course we will find a post of yours calling for the same thing when Obama went to Hawaii. Would love to see how these costs were calculated. For example did they charge the cost of secret service people who are paid regardless as an example.

Quite a bit of cheese, but he's not Obama, so they no longer care about money and time spent away golfing. That was only a concern with Obama.

Of course we will find a post of yours calling for the same thing when Obama went to Hawaii. Would love to see how these costs were calculated. For example did they charge the cost of secret service people who are paid regardless as an example.

1. Who is "we"?
2. Is this whataboutism about President Obama?
3. Why should we pay for a President's travel home?

In 2 years he has had more than 51 days of vacation time...can anyone name a company that gives you over a month a year of vacation time? plus executive time, plus tv and twitter time...? and then they pay for it instead of you?

1. Who is "we"?

His home is in NYC. As to the new new meme, it is about honesty not wharaboutism. When did a president EVER pay to leave washington???

His home is in NYC. As to the new new meme, it is about honesty not wharaboutism. When did a president EVER pay to leave washington???

1. Who is "we"?
2. I believe he has more than 1 home, he certainly isn't the only President that has had more than one residence.
3. I don't believe any have had to pay. Some charge the costs to campaigns, or more likely, they include campaign stops on official trips.
4. What was your point again?

Quite a bit of cheese, but he's not Obama, so they no longer care about money and time spent away golfing. That was only a concern with Obama.
I did not care then or when it was the left complaining about gwb going to his ranch, nor do I care now. I dupe endorse our potus being as comfortable as possible if it makes them a more effective leader.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Link to the GAO report.

It's worse than that. Trumpco bills the Govt. for his stays at his golf clubs. Suddenly the owner needs to pay to stay in his own house. The Secret Service has spent $90,000 just renting golf carts so far.

Fun Stats
Days Trump has spent at Mar a Lago:
Cost of flights to Mar a Lago (19 so far):*
~$39,321,000
Days Trump has spent at Bedminster:
Cost of flights to Bedminster (19 so far):*
~$14,392,000
Trump has visited his clubs once every this many days since his inauguration:
Projected visits to golf clubs in four years:
Projected visits in eight years:
Total times Obama played golf during his eight year Presidency:

https://trumpgolfcount.com/

1. Who is "we"?
For the same reason we pay for Pelosi to travel home on a government jet.

In 2 years he has had more than 51 days of vacation time...can anyone name a company that gives you over a month a year of vacation time? plus executive time, plus tv and twitter time...? and then they pay for it instead of you?

Wasn't the excuse with Obama that he was never really on vacation?

The same wold apply here.

I did not care then or when it was the left complaining about gwb going to his ranch, nor do I care now. I dupe endorse our potus being as comfortable as possible if it makes them a more effective leader.

How did you feel about Obama's golf and Hawaiian vacations? You come across as one of those who was probably crying about those things.

How did you feel about Obama's golf and Hawaiian vacations? You come across as one of those who was probably crying about those things.
I defended Obama too. Anyone who thinks these guys are not always at work, no matter where they are, do not understand what the job entails.

I have no problem with any president govenoring from a place they find comfortable and helps them think clearly.

In fact I criticized trump for criticizing Obama about playing golf. It was cheap political theater.

Oh wow, you cracked the case Sherlock....psst...this is a political message board where people bring things like this up, and depending on who's ox is being gored, is indicative of the response given. Wash, flip, rinse, and repeat.

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

Apple?

It's worse than that. Trumpco bills the Govt. for his stays at his golf clubs. Suddenly the owner needs to pay to stay in his own house. The Secret Service has spent $90,000 just renting golf carts so far.

https://trumpgolfcount.com/
That's because he sucked at it...lol

Oh wow, you cracked the case Sherlock....psst...this is a political message board where people bring things like this up, and depending on who's ox is being gored, is indicative of the response given. Wash, flip, rinse, and repeat.

Yup, there's not much integrity or consistency left in most people's arguments. Railed against Obama doing something, Trump does more of it and they all of a sudden don't care. And of course the reverse happens to. Partisans aren't the most honest of folk.

Back
Top Bottom