• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How most Slaves actually lived

You show up daily for one purpose. To insult posters that you do not agree with.

I submit photos and you submit heated angry rhetoric.

Oh look, the guy trying to defend slavery is now crying because he feels picked on. That’s truly laughable.

Look, you defended the Army where our housing was terrible. We were kept in open bay rooms with wood floors and had to be fed elsewhere. Oh my pay was a huge sum of $71.00 I believe per month. Today the Army has it so much better and they are volunteers. I was ordered by the Feds to submit to the Army.

You seem to hate that not all slaves were miserable.

I no more want to own humans than I think you want to own them. Do you want to own them? You seem to resent that some slaves lived pretty decently.

Being in the Army is not even remotely close to being a slave. You are the only one who believes that particularly idiotic line.

You seem to hate that people have proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that your heroes were fighting for slavery. In a desperate attempt to excuse that, you have now moved on to pretending that slavery “wasn’t so bad”.

No, slaves did not “live pretty decently” and you thinking they did just goes to show how hilariously ignorant you are.

For goodness' sake!

This is 2020.

The slaves' living accommodations have NO relevance to today -- except to those folks who want to find a scapegoat for their present-day shortcomings.

I assure you if you go visit Mt. Vernon or Monticello, you can see real slave quarters and once you do, you will know Slaves lived much better than what is presented today.

There is in North Carolina a Mansion of 10,000 sq ft that exemplifies what slaves lived like. It was normal. Masters would not want crude shacks on their property.

Today would you want crude shacks on your property?

Slave quarters described.

The Slave Quarters
Picture

View attachment 67292946

Restoration of the entire building was completed in 2014.
On the northeast corner of the lot stands the original two-story brick slave quarters. The neatly but plainly finished brick building typifies urban slave quarters in the late antebellum South—one room deep and three rooms wide, with stepped parapets rising above the roof and a windowless back wall along the property line. While now rare, this type of slave quarters could once be found in any city where slavery was legal—from New York to New Orleans—and stands in stark contrast to the small, crude slave huts associated with plantations and rural areas.

James F. Post designed both the exteriors of the slave quarters and the carriage house to complement the main house. From the lime washed brick walls to the matching window styles, the three buildings share many aesthetic features. The slave quarters building includes four sleeping chambers, a laundry room, and two five-seat privies.

Today, visitors can tour through both levels of the original slave quarters—one of the best-preserved examples in the country. One sleeping chamber, the laundry room and privies can all be toured without climbing stairs. Three sleeping chambers are located on the second floor and require climbing one fairly steep set of stairs to access. The building is not air-conditioned.

The Place - BELLAMY MANSION MUSEUM
Would you approve of the reinstitution of slavery as long as laws required a minimum standard of care and feeding?

For goodness' sake!

This is 2020.

The slaves' living accommodations have NO relevance to today -- except to those folks who want to find a scapegoat for their present-day shortcomings.

ED27E802-DA3E-42AF-A17F-8667A9A9A8FF.jpg

“Cat of seven tails!”

can someone please send this thread to the Lincoln Project.

it won't be an ad but they can distribute it.

I assure you if you go visit Mt. Vernon or Monticello, you can see real slave quarters and once you do, you will know Slaves lived much better than what is presented today.

There is in North Carolina a Mansion of 10,000 sq ft that exemplifies what slaves lived like. It was normal. Masters would not want crude shacks on their property.

The Slave Quarters
Picture

View attachment 67292946

On the northeast corner of the lot stands the original two-story brick slave quarters. The neatly but plainly finished brick building typifies urban slave quarters in the late antebellum South—one room deep and three rooms wide, with stepped parapets rising above the roof and a windowless back wall along the property line. While now rare, this type of slave quarters could once be found in any city where slavery was legal—from New York to New Orleans—and stands in stark contrast to the small, crude slave huts associated with plantations and rural areas.

James F. Post designed both the exteriors of the slave quarters and the carriage house to complement the main house. From the lime washed brick walls to the matching window styles, the three buildings share many aesthetic features. The slave quarters building includes four sleeping chambers, a laundry room, and two five-seat privies.

Today, visitors can tour through both levels of the original slave quarters—one of the best-preserved examples in the country. One sleeping chamber, the laundry room and privies can all be toured without climbing stairs. Three sleeping chambers are located on the second floor and require climbing one fairly steep set of stairs to access. The building is not air-conditioned.

You might want to get your butt out of Freemont and spend some time traveling the old South before you start touting cherry-picked bull**** posted on the White Nationalists sites you frequent.

No doubt slaves would have loved to live in completely renovated slave quarters. If you visit the deep South and earnestly search and tour some remaining slave quarters you'll discover the truth that you and your white nationist friends don't want to admit. For the most part slaves lived like slaves.

As for "best preserved" examples that generally means "renovated". Existing examples of non-preserved slave quarters are stark and despressing and for the most part are unsafe to visit.

View attachment 67293077

“Cat of seven tails!”

For goodness' sake!

Re: Your 2020 photograph, who is that? Who whipped him?

I am a computer-illiterate senior citizen who can barely type this, let alone upload photographs.

If I could, I would upload videos of young gentlemen in 2020 who are sucker punching totally blameless pedestrians, who fall down and sometimes never wake up again.

IMHO, it is very disingenuous of people to go back to the days of slavery in order to make a point about today's conditions.

Have a nice day!

Memo to follow libtards here: this is a waste of your time. Look up “sea lioning” and move along.

Just a friendly tip. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would anyone want to “follow libtards”? :2razz:

For goodness' sake!

Re: Your 2020 photograph, who is that? Who whipped him?

I am a computer-illiterate senior citizen who can barely type this, let alone upload photographs.

If I could, I would upload videos of young gentlemen in 2020 who are sucker punching totally blameless pedestrians, who fall down and sometimes never wake up again.

IMHO, it is very disingenuous of people to go back to the days of slavery in order to make a point about today's conditions.

Have a nice day!

I was raised to respect my elders, you have a nice day as well.......

The Slave Quarters
Picture

View attachment 67292946

My understanding is that slave owners weren’t all the same. Some were more cruel than others but none of that makes slavery ok or more palatable. Just out of curiosity, do you happen to believe Auschwitz had a swimming pool?

You might want to get your butt out of Freemont and spend some time traveling the old South before you start touting cherry-picked bull**** posted on the White Nationalists sites you frequent.

No doubt slaves would have loved to live in completely renovated slave quarters. If you visit the deep South and earnestly search and tour some remaining slave quarters you'll discover the truth that you and your white nationist friends don't want to admit. For the most part slaves lived like slaves.

As for "best preserved" examples that generally means "renovated". Existing examples of non-preserved slave quarters are stark and despressing and for the most part are unsafe to visit.

I live 700 miles from Fremont, CA and do not frequent white nationalist sites at all. But what is wrong with bring proud of America?

Here is the link to the site and you will see it is nothing like what you described.

BELLAMY MANSION MUSEUM - HOME

slave-quarters-post-restoration Bellamy Mansion.jpg

My understanding is that slave owners weren’t all the same. Some were more cruel than others but none of that makes slavery ok or more palatable. Just out of curiosity, do you happen to believe Auschwitz had a swimming pool?

Democrats love to lump all mansion owners into the same pot. Some were not one bit cruel either.

As to the Nazi death camp for Jews, you jest if you truly believe there was a pool for the death camp inmates.

As to there actually being a pool there, it is spoken of.

The Auschwitz Swimming Pool - history post - Imgurimgur.com › gallery › QykBcbA

Tom Sawyer wants you to help him white-wash Aunt Polly’s fence.......might have to surrender an apple core or a dead cat......

When I was a very loyal Democrat, even then we did not reply in that fashion to others. Guess things went to hell.

When I was a very loyal Democrat, even then we did not reply in that fashion to others. Guess things went to hell.

So, American literature is not a favorite of yours?

Human trafficking, like Somali pirates, as explained by 2020 Republicans.

You've moved to given the era and adequately. I've been to both. Many times. At Monticello, the field slaves quarters are gone. The house slaves were housed in quarters under the main residence and were brick floored brick rooms probably 12 x 12. Those still exist. They remind me of horse stalls. The quarters at Mt Vernon were destroyed early on and rebuilt a long time ago. Again the quarters were certainly adequate. But not luxurious by any means.

Who on earth would think that Washington or Jefferson gave slaves a life of luxury?

I began with the photo of the slave quarters in North Carolina and later mentioned Mt Vernon and Monticello. I have been to each site one time and took photos to recall both sites.

Who on earth would think that Washington or Jefferson gave slaves a life of luxury?

I began with the photo of the slave quarters in North Carolina and later mentioned Mt Vernon and Monticello. I have been to each site one time and took photos to recall both sites.

Your first line was: I assure you if you go visit Mt. Vernon or Monticello,

That's what I responded to. I live in Richmond. When guests from the west come here, the most requested sites are Monticello, Mt Vernon, and Arlington. So I go there. I don't think any slave holder was particularly interested in the adequacy of the residences.

This post is downright evil.

Some interesting points made on both sides thus far.

My own reading suggests that the specifics of slave life in the antebellum South depended a great deal on the temperament of the master. Some masters would hear grievances, some wouldn't. Some would force work on the Sabbath, some wouldn't. Some would keep families together, some wouldn't. Some would hand down harsh punishments for trivial offenses, some wouldn't.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that some slaves were afforded decent quarters, nor does it surprise me that some dwelt in mud tenements built with their own hands.

In the end, we know both that many slaves risked life and limb trying to escape, and that many slaves, even when emancipated, elected to live with and serve their former masters. These two facts alone testify to the complex and dichotomous nature of the issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom