• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How mercenaries for Ukraine are being recruited in Russia

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
How mercenaries for Ukraine are being recruited in Russia

Social media channels and private messaging groups are being used in Russia to recruit a new brigade of mercenaries to fight in Ukraine alongside the army, the BBC has learned. The BBC has spoken to a serving mercenary and a former fighter with close links to one of Russia's leading mercenary organisations, who have shared details of the recruitment campaign. A few weeks before the start of the war, the serving mercenary told the BBC many veterans of the secretive Wagner organisation were contacted on a private Telegram group. They were invited to a "picnic in Ukraine", with references to tasting "Salo", a pork fat traditionally eaten in Ukraine. The message appeals to "those with criminal records, debts, banned from mercenary groups or without an external passport" to apply. The message also included that "those from the Russian-occupied areas of Luhansk and Donetsk republics and Crimea - cordially invited". The Wagner group is one of the most secretive organisations in Russia. Officially, it doesn't exist - serving as a mercenary is against Russian and international law. But up to 10,000 operatives are believed to have taken at least one contract with Wagner over the past seven years.

The serving mercenary who spoke to the BBC said new recruits are being placed in units under the command of officers from the GRU, the Russian military intelligence unit of the ministry of defence. He stressed that the recruitment policy had changed, and fewer restrictions were applied. "They are recruiting anyone and everyone," he said, unhappy with what he described as the lower professionalism of the new fighters. He said the new units being recruited are no longer referred to as Wagner, but new names - such as The Hawks - were being used. Wagner has faced repeated accusations of human rights abuses and war crimes in its operations in Syria and Libya. The mercenary sources who spoke to the BBC, said the recruits are trained at the Wagner base in Mol'kino in southern Russia, next to a Russian army base. It has been reported that up to 400 fighters from the Wagner group have been in Ukraine. The Wagner group was first identified in 2014, when it was backing pro-Russian separatists in the conflict in eastern Ukraine. The serving Wagner fighter who spoke to the BBC, explained that in the first days of the invasion of Ukraine he was sent to the country's second city, Kharkiv, where he said his unit successfully completed a mission without revealing what it was. "We were then paid $2,100 (£1,600) for a month's work and returned home,to Russia," he told the BBC.

Wagner Group is owned by Yevgeny Prigozhin, a Putin crony who supplies the Russian military with meals via his Concord Catering company, and also owns the infamous 24/7 Russian troll farm in St. Petersburg, Russia.

The Wagner training base is next to a GRU Spetznaz military base in Krasnodar Krai, southern Russia east of Crimea....

AAUXsxa.img

Yep, now I hear Russia is scouring central Africa for mercenaries. Too many dead Russians I suspect.

Yep, now I hear Russia is scouring central Africa for mercenaries. Too many dead Russians I suspect.

Putin has invited Syria's Bashar Assad killers to join Russian forces in Ukraine.

Putin has invited Syria's Bashar Assad killers to join Russian forces in Ukraine.

Which is why, of course, it has been vitally important to quickly kill as many Russians as possible to shock Russian public into sensibility.

I do note, however, Ukraine has had its share of unpaid foreign volunteers, including those from Georgia and Belorussia and Czech Republic.

I do note, however, Ukraine has had its share of unpaid foreign volunteers, including those from Georgia and Belorussia and Czech Republic.

Oh yeah. But I would be astounded if any of them committed war crimes.

War crimes are SOP for Assad's thugs.

Back
Top Bottom