• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How men look at women [W:749:1024]

kerussll

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
A friend posted this on facebook this morning, and I can't agree with it more. I'm tired of women being blamed for the independent thoughts and actions of others. I'm tired of the impossible standards put on women. The media say we have to be attractive and a little bit sexy in everything we do to be of any worth. Horrible things are said about us if we are not perceived to be attractive. That's the first thing people go to if they want to tear down or silence a woman. Call her ugly. But if we are sexy or too attractive in every day life we are whores undeserving of respect. And everyone claims we don't respect ourselves for some reason. As if our clothing choice could possibly speak to our level of respect or self esteem.

This does not just apply to men, as women can be just as judgmental. It's YOUR responsibility and your responsibility alone to see all people as people deserving of respect. To not objectify them in your mind.

Seeing a Woman: A conversation between a father and son | From One Degree to Another | Nate Pyle

Discuss! I'm ready to be disappointed...

re: How men look at women [W:749]

I’m talking about another conversation. The one that happens after I catch his eye doing what male eyes do well – following an object of lust. We will probably be out at the mall, because that’s what dads do with their sons, and I’ll catch the look. Maybe we’ll go to the beach and see it. Doesn’t matter where it is, there will come a time when I will see it. And then it will be time for this conversation.

"Good eye. I'd hit it too, Son."

A friend posted this on facebook this morning, and I can't agree with it more. I'm tired of women being blamed for the independent thoughts and actions of others. I'm tired of the impossible standards put on women. The media say we have to be attractive and a little bit sexy in everything we do to be of any worth. Horrible things are said about us if we are not perceived to be attractive. That's the first thing people go to if they want to tear down or silence a woman. Call her ugly. But if we are sexy or too attractive in every day life we are whores undeserving of respect. And everyone claims we don't respect ourselves for some reason. As if our clothing choice could possibly speak to our level of respect or self esteem.

This does not just apply to men, as women can be just as judgmental. It's YOUR responsibility and your responsibility alone to see all people as people deserving of respect. To not objectify them in your mind.

Seeing a Woman: A conversation between a father and son | From One Degree to Another | Nate Pyle

Agree with the article to a point, but at the same time women should have some self-respect in what they wear. They shouldn't dress like objects, and then they won't get treated as such. Just saying.

Agree with the article to a point, but at the same time women should have some self-respect in what they wear. They shouldn't dress like objects, and then they won't get treated as such. Just saying.

I take issue with that. It's impossible to dress as an object.

Why a PM? Are you ashamed of what you wrote to me? Cuz you really should be.

No like I said I was trying to be tactful, I'll post it here since you can't accept that.

There are girls who dress like sluts, then complain because they are looked at and treated as such. They should quit dressing and acting like sluts if they want to have some self-respect and not be treated as such. Not saying men are off the hook, but it is not just the man's problem, it is equally if not more, on the women.

Who's to decide when they cross that line?

I take issue with that. It's impossible to dress as an object.

You are SOO wrong.

How can you say that these sweats aren't specifically designed to objectify the wearer?

juicy__oPt.jpg

And that's just one example of many.

No like I said I was trying to be tactful, I'll post it here since you can't accept that.

There are girls who dress like sluts, then complain because they are looked at and treated as such. They should quit dressing and acting like sluts if they want to have some self-respect and not be treated as such. Not saying men are off the hook, but it is not just the man's problem, it is equally if not more, on the women.

You are not getting it David. You have exhibited the very behavior that is the problem: you do not get to decide if a woman is a slut based on the way she chooses to dress.

There are girls who dress like sluts, Again, who decides when that is?

Also, do you have the same disrespect for a man who acts like a slut?

Yikes!

People can wear what they want in a casual setting. Life is not a job interview.

Are you suggesting we call someone wearing a bikini at the beach a slut for daring to be so bold? Come on. Be real.

First, nature has wired male brains differently than women's when it comes to sexual attraction. That, however, is not an excuse or reason to act upon that attraction in an offensive, vulgar or aggressive way.

There is a difference between the way many women dress also. The trend, since the 1960's has been for women to wear cloths that accentuate and "uncover" the regions of their bodies that are sexual in the minds of men.

The way a woman dresses is her choice, IMHO. What she wants to project by the way she dresses is her choice as well. The same goes for men. Professional workplace cloths, recreational cloths, and casual cloths are all different, and make statements about the person differently.

As for women, this is overboard:
MDF40614-29-06-2013-21-06-02-978.jpg

This would be, IMHO, the casual or potentially professional dress depending on the environment:
port-washington.jpg

This, again IMHO, is very sexy and just fine (I like a woman in jeans; country boy in me I guess):
Sainz-on-Twitter.jpg

But... this is sending a message, again, IMHO:
shorts.jpg

You are not getting it David. You have exhibited the very behavior that is the problem: you do not get to decide if a woman is a slut based on the way she chooses to dress.

There are girls who dress like sluts, Again, who decides when that is?

Also, do you have the same disrespect for a man who acts like a slut?

Oh no...because men who are sluts are called "experienced" and women who do the same are called "whores ". It's the good old double standard.

Yikes!

People can wear what they want in a casual setting. Life is not a job interview.

Are you suggesting we call someone wearing a bikini at the beach a slut for daring to be so bold? Come on. Be real.

Did you read the article in reference?

You are SOO wrong.

How can you say that these sweats aren't specifically designed to objectify the wearer?

View attachment 67153152

And that's just one example of many.

Depends on how you define "objectify". To me the sweats accentuate.

I'll quote your PM.

"Let's be honest, some women dress like sluts. They do. They dress like that to get attention, then complain when they get it. If they don't want to be looked at as a slut or treated like one, don't dress and act like one."

Every time I hear a man say something like this, I just imagine he's bitter the woman doesn't want his attention. :shrug: Yes, women dress for attention sometimes. That doesn't mean they have to be thrilled with you hitting on them. Maybe it's not your attention they're after just because you think she looks like a slut. It certainly doesn't mean they want to be treated like a slut. I shudder to think what that even means. Groping them? Assuming they want to go in the bathroom and do you right there? Harassing them for sex? I maintain the shocking position that men alone are responsible for their bad behavior.

I'll quote your PM.

"Let's be honest, some women dress like sluts. They do. They dress like that to get attention, then complain when they get it. If they don't want to be looked at as a slut or treated like one, don't dress and act like one."

Every time I hear a man say something like this, I just imagine he's bitter the woman doesn't want his attention. :shrug: Yes, women dress for attention sometimes. That doesn't mean they have to be thrilled with you hitting on them. Maybe it's not your attention they're after just because you think she looks like a slut. It certainly doesn't mean they want to be treated like a slut. I shudder to think what that even means. Groping them? Assuming they want to go in the bathroom and do you right there? Harassing them for sex? I maintain the shocking position that men alone are responsible for their bad behavior.

Wow, you do a LOT of ASSUMING there seeing as I didn't say 90% of what you think I did. Who said anything about hitting on them? Who said anything about groping? Who said anything about any of that? Not me. Women dress like sluts shouldn't complain when guys see them as such. Period.

Yes, people are going to make assumptions about you based on how you dress. i don't see anything wrong with it.

First, nature has wired male brains differently than women's when it comes to sexual attraction. That, however, is not an excuse or reason to act upon that attraction in an offensive, vulgar or aggressive way.

There is a difference between the way many women dress also. The trend, since the 1960's has been for women to wear cloths that accentuate and "uncover" the regions of their bodies that are sexual in the minds of men.

The way a woman dresses is her choice, IMHO. What she wants to project by the way she dresses is her choice as well. The same goes for men. Professional workplace cloths, recreational cloths, and casual cloths are all different, and make statements about the person differently.

As for women, this is overboard:
MDF40614-29-06-2013-21-06-02-978.jpg

This would be, IMHO, the casual or potentially professional dress depending on the environment:
port-washington.jpg

This, again IMHO, is very sexy and just fine (I like a woman in jeans; country boy in me I guess):
Sainz-on-Twitter.jpg

But... this is sending a message, again, IMHO:
shorts.jpg

And the message is what, exactly? She doesn't deserve your respect? You have to realize how subjective this is. What you think is overboard, other cultures think is acceptable. The woman you like in jeans others would call a slut. Maybe it doesn't matter what we think of their clothes. They deserve our respect, and not our judgment.

I'd go so far as to say women are far MORE judgmental than men.

I'd also say the "impossible standards" are in many ways set and enforced by women too.

Men are extremely easy to please. Pay attention to us, feed us, sleep with us, and we're happy. Guys are not complicated.

The "image" that so many women feel they have to live up to is an "image" they've created and fostered themselves.

Women are a freakin complicated mess of turmoil and judgment.

Oh no...because men who are sluts are called "experienced" and women who do the same are called "whores ". It's the good old double standard.

I say wave your slut flag proud. There is nothing wrong with liking sex. If a man can be promiscuous and not be judged (actually they are judged favorably) why can't a woman. If you are doing it as something other than an expression of your own desire then check yourselves, but if it is a healthy expression of what you want go for it.

What is "slut attire" for men? A button down shirt opened to the navel, a spray on tan and 50# of gold chains?

When I was in my 20's I did the whole white slacks, bright colored short sleeved shirts and white sandals thing. Don Johnson would have been jealous of me. Was I objectifying myself? HELL YES!!!!!

Wow, you do a LOT of ASSUMING there seeing as I didn't say 90% of what you think I did. Who said anything about hitting on them? Who said anything about groping? Who said anything about any of that? Not me. Women dress like sluts shouldn't complain when guys see them as such. Period.

Well what does treating them like a slut mean to you?

Depends on how you define "objectify". To me the sweats accentuate.

Just my opinion, but she could use a little "accentuation".

Back
Top Bottom