• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many years until there's not enough left to defend gun rights?

How many years until there's not enough left to defend gun rights?

• 20 years, it's a bleak future for gun advocats

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 40 years

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don't care, I'll be dead

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, specify below

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
58% of the NRA membership is retired, 62 and older. You look around shooting ranges or gun swap meets and all the shooters and attendees are elderly for the most part.

20 to 30 years time and most of these people will be dead.

They won't be replaced. Young men no longer hunt and target practice. They're playing video games instead. Guns, outside of virtual guns in video games, will just be a curiosity to them.

58% of the NRA membership is retired, 62 and older. You look around shooting ranges or gun swap meets and all the shooters and attendees are elderly for the most part.

They won't be replaced. Young men no longer hunt and target practice. They're playing video games instead. Guns, outside of virtual guns in video games, will just be a curiosity to them.

Guns don't have rights. It is the current interpretation of the Constitution that gives some people gun liberties.

I would disagree with the Op. I see lots of younger people at the range, and in gun stores. When I helped teach concealed carry classes I saw all kinds of people, all ages, all ethnicities, both genders, getting their permits. All of my grown kids are NRA members, though I do agree young people don't join organizations, of any kind, at the rates their parents did. Especially if they have to pay annual dues to do so. There are a lot of young people who would like to get into the shooting sports but the cost and time inhibit their commitment, and the fact that many young people have huge financial burdens and are just making ends meet on lower wages, if that.

I see the same thing in other areas. Young people just can't afford motorcycles any more, unless they live where they can use one for daily transportation. And I see it in boating and golf; both pursuits that take money. Too many young people are just flat broke. A car and rent take it all. Some can't even make that nut.

I would disagree with the Op. I see lots of younger people at the range, and in gun stores. When I helped teach concealed carry classes I saw all kinds of people, all ages, all ethnicities, both genders, getting their permits. All of my grown kids are NRA members, though I do agree young people don't join organizations, of any kind, at the rates their parents did. Especially if they have to pay annual dues to do so. There are a lot of young people who would like to get into the shooting sports but the cost and time inhibit their commitment, and the fact that many young people have huge financial burdens and are just making ends meet on lower wages, if that.

I see the same thing in other areas. Young people just can't afford motorcycles any more, unless they live where they can use one for daily transportation. And I see it in boating and golf; both pursuits that take money. Too many young people are just flat broke. A car and rent take it all. Some can't even make that nut.

Golf is expensive - not Japan expensive, but in the most populous states, it's not cheap

It's good that kids don't buy motorcycles and boats.

Golf is expensive - not Japan expensive, but in the most populous states, it's not cheap

It's good that kids don't buy motorcycles and boats.
I own two boats and a motorcycle. One is a sailboat and the other a pontoon boat. I enjoy both. I also own a 2001 Yamaha V Max. I probably shouldn't have bought that beast, but it is monster fun to ride. I can understand your concern about motorcycles, but sailboats? BTW; it isn't that kids are engaging in safer activities; many of them participate in very dangerous things. Young people, who tend to be the risk takers, tend to like taking risks. They seek out risky behaviors. Some make motorcycle riding look tame.

Guns don't have rights. It is the current interpretation of the Constitution that gives some people gun liberties.

Target practice is apparently very popular in Germany.

But they have specified target ranges with very specific regulations on which to do it. It’s like going to the golf course. Maybe that’s what will happen here.

I own two boats and a motorcycle. One is a sailboat and the other a pontoon boat. I enjoy both. I also own a 2001 Yamaha V Max. I probably shouldn't have bought that beast, but it is monster fun to ride. I can understand your concern about motorcycles, but sailboats? BTW; it isn't that kids are engaging in safer activities; many of them participate in very dangerous things. Young people, who tend to be the risk takers, tend to like taking risks. They seek out risky behaviors. Some make motorcycle riding look tame.

Yet the young have more to lose.

read that the #1 source of people injured in motorcycle accidents were "born again bikers" - men who's grown out of motorbikes and suddenly found themselves with a bit of disposable income once their kids had left home.

O had
I traded in My Kawi 750 LTD for a V-Max in '89. I was the king of the streets. I loved that bike more than......oh shit I can't say it lol. I now ride a Vulcan cause a V-Max would kill me now lol.

Elderly?

The majority of people at my local area gun shows are in the their 20's - 30's - 40's -50's and with a lot of racial diversity.

Most older and experienced gun owners already know that prices at gun shows are not necessarily that much lower than the shops, private sales, and private sales through a FFL. I see and hear about more older/experienced people making sales at a local competitive shoots and hunt clubs than I do at the shops and shows.

Other

the NRA could disappear tomorrow
the 2nd amendment isnt going anywhere anytime soon
not in my lifetime not in my kids lifetime 🤷‍♂️

If they, the democrats, pack the court its possible to loose our right!

On the bright side.......I'm an FFL and there is a new breed of gun owner I have noticed recently. The minority! They are super suspicious of government trying to disarm them. From increased sales including multiple sales to increased safety courses for those getting permits to carry concealed. They fear police aggression/abuse. While I dont share their belief, in fact I think they are full of crap, to them its real and they are not going to allow gun confiscation lying down.

NRA has lost its Mojo politically.

the NRA could disappear tomorrow
the 2nd amendment isnt going anywhere anytime soon
not in my lifetime not in my kids lifetime 🤷‍♂️

A few year ago, I'd have said impossible, now just very unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom