• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many times have YOU....

TheGirlNextDoor


DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
...truly been in love? Not lust, not one night stands...I'm talking the real deal here.

I'm talking romantic love.

Only once.

Just once.

Just once.

Met her on October 25th, 1980, had our first date the next night at her uncles house (he was rich, he not only had cable tv, but he had HBO too). She's in the other room asleep right now, and our two sons (23 and 20 y/o) are down stairs in the basement doing something with old video game consoles (building what they call a monster game console). They're both home from college. The oldest is getting his Masters and the youngest is in pre-med Biology.

Life's good.

I can't imagine a day without her... maybe an hour or so from time to time, but not a whole day.

Just once.

Met her on October 25th, 1980, had our first date the next night at her uncles house (he was rich, he not only had cable tv, but he had HBO too). She's in the other room asleep right now, and our two sons (23 and 20 y/o) are down stairs in the basement doing something with old video game consoles (building what they call a monster game console). They're both home from college. The oldest is getting his Masters and the youngest is in pre-med Biology.

Life's good.

I can't imagine a day without her... maybe an hour or so from time to time, but not a whole day.

Awww, the shortest, sweetest love story I ever read.

...truly been in love? Not lust, not one night stands...I'm talking the real deal here.

That's a really hard question for me to answer. Being that I have a hard time not looking back on such relationships rather cynically and dismissing them as being emotionally "caught up" with a person. But at the time, I was convinced I was in love,

If that makes any sense

Patience is a virtue. It took until my thirties to find my soulmate and she is the only one I've loved. The list of things I was looking for in a woman would probably be considered unrealistic to most. However, by the law of large numbers, if the probability of such an event is non-zero then meeting such will occur almost surely if you meet enough people. The more time you're going to spend doing something or with someone, the more effort you should make to be sure you're going to be happy with your decision. Thus your marriage and career are near the top of that list.

I was seeking at least the following: physically attractive and fit, academically ambitious, Christian, never married and no kids (but wants them). Some qualities which were icing on the cake when I met my wife: bilingual, Republican, believer in traditional gender roles, amazing cook. My skills, such as being well-organized and good with technology and money fill her weaknesses. Again, I mentioned patience because we were both in our thirties when we met. What still amazes me is that we met in a country neither of us are from. She was there finishing up her master's when I was invited over to give a presentation on my research. I met her my first day there, we clicked and spent most of the week together. After I returned to the US, we kept in touch for six months and then I offered to fly her here to be together for a couple months. After six weeks living together, we both were saying to ourselves "there's no way in heck I want to be across the ocean from this person again!" We tied the knot and filed for her permanent residence. Note that it was fun (in a good way) meeting my in-laws after I married their daughter. :)

To this day, she and I still tell each other how lucky and amazed by each other we are literally 10-20 times per day.

That's a really hard question for me to answer. Being that I have a hard time not looking back on such relationships rather cynically and dismissing them as being emotionally "caught up" with a person. But at the time, I was convinced I was in love,

If that makes any sense

I'm the same way.

Fundamentally, love isn't a rational emotion, and what happens to the relationship has nothing to do with how much we love, but rather how much we work and how circumstances allow.

I am beginning to be of the opinion that it is only subjective opinion whether something is "love" or "getting caught up." I don't see any difference between the two, except in how I feel about them.

Being that the term is possibly the most historically celebrated of all misnomers, then never.

Actual love? Jury's out on that one.

Just once, with my wife.

I thought I loved my first serious girlfriend in high school at the time, but looking back I realize it was just infatuation with the fact that a girl wanted to touch my penis.

l think twice

I thought I was in love about a million times. In retrospect I can tell I've really only been in actual love once, and that's with my wife.

a girl wanted to touch my penis.

Hell yeah she did.

Been ''in love'' many times, only for it to fizzle out as it was lust.

At what point does lust turn into love?

Scientists claim to have identified a neurological difference between love and lust.

While lust triggers the part of the brain that responds to pleasure, it seems love lights up the region that gives pleasure meaning.

Been ''in love'' many times, only for it to fizzle out as it was lust.

At what point does lust turn into love?

Scientists claim to have identified a neurological difference between love and lust.

While lust triggers the part of the brain that responds to pleasure, it seems love lights up the region that gives pleasure meaning.

every lust has an end but love never ends and thats why many couples maintain their marriages for a lifetime

l also believe some people can never love because they love themselves the most

every lust has an end but love never ends and thats why many couples maintain their marriages for a lifetime

l also believe some people can never love because they love themselves the most

Haven't you ever been in lust Meds?..

There is a definitely defining moment when you know it's over...

Such as...having smelly breath in the mornings..or leaving a wet towel on the bathroom floor for you to pick up!!

Four times, and I can still remember each woman's full name. (sigh) LOL :)

Antoinette M.
Cathy B.
Cara M.
Melissa D.

Last edited:
Twice, but it's never affected my apetite. (Guys are carnal though, so lust occurs on a daily basis, even at the grocery store. The question always pops up, "Would you do that?" The answer is always, "Hell yes. Better check for strings, booby traps (!) and so on first though." Then I continue shopping undaunted and completely at home with uncontrolled testosterone).

Haven't you ever been in lust Meds?..

There is a definitely defining moment when you know it's over...

Such as...having smelly breath in the mornings..or leaving a wet towel on the bathroom floor for you to pick up!!
of course l have

what you define is a typical man behaviour:mrgreen:

of course l have

what you define is a typical man behaviour:mrgreen:

So..defining love and lust..is a wet towel on the bathroom floor.

If it pisses you off picking it up..it's lust!!

If you don't mind doing it..it is luurrve!

Three times.

Those who pulled it off on the first try have my envy and respect.

Five times. Apparently the most on this thread...rather odd.

The HS sweetheart, couple girls I was with for 2-3 years each, ex-fianceé, and the one I'm with now.

Maybe I just have a more lax definition of "love" than others here. Who knows.

Back
Top Bottom