• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How many servers?

kanabco

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I do not understand this.
How many servers did Hillary use?
She said one.
Comey said six.
I don't get this.
Why would she say one if she had six in her basement?
Does anyone understand what a server is?
How and why would she need six?
why would she lie about one vs six?
Explain.
Comey is not a liar.
Could Comey have been referring to backup servers?
Like when we backup to the cloud?
How many servers are in the cloud?
If the backup server is in Denver then there are two servers: One in the basement and one in Denver.
One server in Hillary's basement is all.
One backup server in Denver makes two.
If the backup server moves around or backs up the backup in the cloud would there be more than one server?
Three servers?
Ten servers?

Does anyone in the media understand what a server is?

I doubt it.

It's pretty simple to understand, really.

She LIED.

Well put and explanatory. I know know exactly how many servers she had and where they were sequestered thanks to you. You are brilliant.

There may have been one computer box, serving a six servers. One server may have been for Hillary's account. The other 5 servers, sectioned off in the same computer box, may have been for other family E-mail accounts.

"At the time of Senate confirmation hearings on Hillary Clinton's nomination as Secretary of State, the domain names clintonemail.com, wjcoffice.com, and presidentclinton.com were registered to Eric Hoteham,[11] with the home of Clinton and her husband in Chappaqua, New York, as the contact address.[12][13] The domains were pointed to a private email server that Clinton (who never had a state.gov email account) used to send and receive email, and which was purchased and installed in the Clintons' home for her 2008 presidential campaign.[14][15]

The email server was located in the Clintons' home in Chappaqua, New York, until 2013, when it was sent to a data center in New Jersey before being handed over to Platte River Networks, a Denver-based information technology firm that Clinton hired to manage her email system.[16][17][18][19][20]

The server itself runs a Microsoft Exchange 2010[21][22] server with access to emails over the internet being delivered by Outlook Web App. The webpage is secured with a TLS certificate to allow information to be transmitted securely when using the website.

Prior to March 29, 2009, the webpage was reportedly[10] not secured with a certificate meaning information transmitted using the service may have been liable to interception."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Clinton_email_controversy

//

There may have been one computer box, serving a six servers. One server may have been for Hillary's account. The other 5 servers, sectioned off in the same computer box, may have been for other family E-mail accounts.

"At the time of Senate confirmation hearings on Hillary Clinton's nomination as Secretary of State, the domain names clintonemail.com, wjcoffice.com, and presidentclinton.com were registered to Eric Hoteham,[11] with the home of Clinton and her husband in Chappaqua, New York, as the contact address.[12][13] The domains were pointed to a private email server that Clinton (who never had a state.gov email account) used to send and receive email, and which was purchased and installed in the Clintons' home for her 2008 presidential campaign.[14][15]

The email server was located in the Clintons' home in Chappaqua, New York, until 2013, when it was sent to a data center in New Jersey before being handed over to Platte River Networks, a Denver-based information technology firm that Clinton hired to manage her email system.[16][17][18][19][20]

The server itself runs a Microsoft Exchange 2010[21][22] server with access to emails over the internet being delivered by Outlook Web App. The webpage is secured with a TLS certificate to allow information to be transmitted securely when using the website.

Prior to March 29, 2009, the webpage was reportedly[10] not secured with a certificate meaning information transmitted using the service may have been liable to interception."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Clinton_email_controversy

//

Pretty much what I as thinking (thanks for the link) as I was trying to understand where the disagreement was. I mean if Hillary said she had only one server and Comey said she had six and then tells the committee that she never lied to them then it means I don't understand what they (congress, FBI, and/or Clinton) thinks a server is.

I made a file server once out of an old W98 box that simply "served" files to anyone with a password. At least that is what I used to call a server. Now I am not sure.

Pretty much what I as thinking (thanks for the link) as I was trying to understand where the disagreement was. I mean if Hillary said she had only one server and Comey said she had six and then tells the committee that she never lied to them then it means I don't understand what they (congress, FBI, and/or Clinton) thinks a server is.

I made a file server once out of an old W98 box that simply "served" files to anyone with a password. At least that is what I used to call a server. Now I am not sure.

Another explanation of 6 versus 1 is that Hillary had various technicians maintaining her server in her home. These technicians may have upgraded the server, maybe 6 times in the 4 years. So in fact there was never more than one server in service in Hillary's home, there may have been 6 different upgrades, of that one box.

She said one.
Comey said six.
I don't get this.
Explain.
Comey is not a liar.
If the backup server is in Denver then there are two servers: One in the basement and one in Denver.
If the backup server moves around or backs up the backup in the cloud would there be more than one server?
Three servers?
Ten servers?

I doubt it.

I highly doubt that she knows what she is talking about. All the more reason for her not to be ignoring security procedures.

I highly doubt that she knows what she is talking about. All the more reason for her not to be ignoring security procedures.
You nailed it. Same goes for a majority of the press, congress, and posters here.

You nailed it. Same goes for a majority of the press, congress, and posters here.

You probably work in IT like me. The boss says give me full admin rights so I can install something, and you do it.

When it is a threat to national security nothing else really matters...

She said one.
Comey said six.
I don't get this.
Explain.
Comey is not a liar.
Three servers?
Ten servers?

I doubt it.

I'm not a computer expert.

One server can serve many devices.

I was under the impression that she used multiple devices, but that a there was one server in her basement that she used throughout her time as the Secretary of State and that was still operational and loaded with classified materials off site and illegally stored in her private residence.

I think of it this way:

Think of a table in a restaurant. We will call this table "Hillary".

Think of four guests in the restaurant all sitting at the table. We will call these guests "Hillary's Blackberries".

Think of the waitress in the restaurant. We will call this waitress the "Server".

Think of the Kitchen. We will call the kitchen the "Internet".

To get any order to Hillary, the blackberries need to communicate and work through the server and can receive anything from the internet, but only get it delivered through the use of the server.

This video is probably much better.

In the case of Hillary's illegal and conspiratorial use of a different server than the one that was provided, she was circumventing the laws of the USA and intentionally shielding her activities from the review of the US Authorities. Then she conspired to conceal it and ultimately erased thousands of emails.

Do you remember Rosemary Woods?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQQA8RpKxqg

Last edited:
My take on this is a bit different, The FBI could be counting all the devices where copies of the
the data was found to have passed.
The primary server, the redundant failover server, the server that backs up the mail server, and then
all the remote devices that could access the server.
All would be capable of retaining copies of the classified data.

According to Comey, she used different physical servers, not just one server with different email services. Some of the emails the FBI found were on the decommissioned server, not the active server.

I have so far used the singular term, “e-mail server,” in describing the referral that began our investigation. It turns out to have been more complicated than that. Secretary Clinton used several different servers and administrators of those servers during her four years at the State Department, and used numerous mobile devices to view and send e-mail on that personal domain. As new servers and equipment were employed, older servers were taken out of service, stored, and decommissioned in various ways. Piecing all of that back together—to gain as full an understanding as possible of the ways in which personal e-mail was used for government work—has been a painstaking undertaking, requiring thousands of hours of effort.

For example, when one of Secretary Clinton’s original personal servers was decommissioned in 2013, the e-mail software was removed. Doing that didn’t remove the e-mail content, but it was like removing the frame from a huge finished jigsaw puzzle and dumping the pieces on the floor. The effect was that millions of e-mail fragments end up unsorted in the server’s unused—or “slack”—space. We searched through all of it to see what was there, and what parts of the puzzle could be put back together.

You probably work in IT like me. The boss says give me full admin rights so I can install something, and you do it.

We are more than likely generationally exclusive. There was no such thing as Information Technology when I went to college... Georgia Tech Mechanical Engineering 1962. However we were highly technical even back then taking classes in FORTRAN and assembler. See the difference? How many old people like me do you know were programing before you were born? This is not an old person's "get off my lawn" grunt. It is just that there seems to be so few my age who can carry a conversation of any kind about computing and networking.

So this is the real problem if you think about it. Old white folks are not generally up on computer technology yet they are generally the most right leaning and susceptible to believe whatever FOX tells them. To them computers are required but if you don't understand them then all you have to do is hire someone (YOUNGER) to explain stuff. Just go back an re-read this post. Those people who have absolutely no understanding of low level computing are willing the believe whatever the Congressional committee says even if they don't know what was said! They would probably even think that one being proficient in "low level" computing is inferior to someone proficient in "high level" computing.

And this too is Hillary's problem. She is demonstrably ignorant of all this and she did not have a young IT person to guide her. She is not stupid. Ignorant.

We are more than likely generationally exclusive. There was no such thing as Information Technology when I went to college... Georgia Tech Mechanical Engineering 1962. However we were highly technical even back then taking classes in FORTRAN and assembler. See the difference? How many old people like me do you know were programing before you were born? This is not an old person's "get off my lawn" grunt. It is just that there seems to be so few my age who can carry a conversation of any kind about computing and networking.

So this is the real problem if you think about it. Old white folks are not generally up on computer technology yet they are generally the most right leaning and susceptible to believe whatever FOX tells them. To them computers are required but if you don't understand them then all you have to do is hire someone (YOUNGER) to explain stuff. Just go back an re-read this post. Those people who have absolutely no understanding of low level computing are willing the believe whatever the Congressional committee says even if they don't know what was said! They would probably even think that one being proficient in "low level" computing is inferior to someone proficient in "high level" computing.

And this too is Hillary's problem. She is demonstrably ignorant of all this and she did not have a young IT person to guide her. She is not stupid. Ignorant.

I'm not quite sure how you define "old," but I do know people in their 70's who are still working and very much keeping up with IT. Some are even teaching it. Much depends on interest--if somebody has a lifelong interest in the news or photography or whatever, I think he or she is inclined to keep up with the newest technology. Anyway, I don't buy the notion that "old people" are somehow more credulous than others.

I'm not quite sure how you define "old," but I do know people in their 70's who are still working and very much keeping up with IT. Some are even teaching it. Much depends on interest--if somebody has a lifelong interest in the news or photography or whatever, I think he or she is inclined to keep up with the newest technology. Anyway, I don't buy the notion that "old people" are somehow more credulous than others.

Good point.
How do I define old?
I cannot really... just experience (along with PEW research) that old white people are by and large not computer (server) literate and lean right politcally
And just to reiterate I am not in IT. Never have been.

A little of both, I would say. Smart people know their limits. My point was, Hillary probably told her tech people to do something unsecure and they hopped to, because Hillary is the boss.

Back
Top Bottom